Grey Knights Don't Go In Rhinos.... ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Grey Knights Don't Go In Rhinos.... ?

I've been told this by several people; apparently Grey Knights in power armour can't get into Rhinos of any sort because they count as models in Terminator armour.

The problem with this logic is pretty clear...

Grey Knights in power armour can't get into Rhinos bought as dedicated transports for ISTs, because it states in our Codex that transports can only be used by the unit they were bought for. There's no such rule in the Smurf Codex, and so if I take a squad of PAGKs in a Smurf list they are allowed to get into a Rhino bought as an upgrade for a Tactical/ Assault squad in said Tactical/ Assault squad isn't also embarked.

Right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

100% correct.

There's a FAQ for the 5th edition that says that you are limited to any restrictions that your codex imposes on dedicated vehicles. Basically, if your codex says that the the transport is only for the certain people, then it is only for those people and no one else.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...k_Oct_2008.pdf

Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fugger View Post
    I've been told this by several people; apparently Grey Knights in power armour can't get into Rhinos of any sort because they count as models in Terminator armour.
    Don't believe these people, they have obviously no idea how to read rules or use their eyes. lol..

If people continue to hassle you with this logic, send them my way... Tell them I have a shiny object for them... (A thunderhammer all blistery with energy!!!) lol

-Goblin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    100% correct.

There's a FAQ for the 5th edition that says that you are limited to any restrictions that your codex imposes on dedicated vehicles. Basically, if your codex says that the the transport is only for the certain people, then it is only for those people and no one else.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...k_Oct_2008.pdf
    So if there's no restriction, there's no problem?

What I'm trying to establish is if Grey Knights in power armour are somehow prevented from ever boarding any Rhino under any circumstances, or if they're only prevented from boarding Rhinos in pure DH Codex armies because of the transport restrictions? The "counts as Terminators" argument just doesn't do it for me, unless my PAGKs are allowed a 5+ invulnerable save and Deep Strike as well.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

PAGK's don't count as Terminator models in terms of transports. That's just pure ignorance - basically he heard it from someone but didn't bother to research it and just took the guy's words.

If the GK's are allies to space marines, then they could ride in the SM rhinos (but not start off the game deployed in them). As far as I know, there aren't the same restrictions on SM dedicated transports as there are in the DH/WH codices (though I hear there's 2 versions of the WH codex).
    Last edited by jy2; April 12th, 2009 at 14:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

All you have to do is prove that grey knights dont count as having Terminator armor.

I cannot remember ever reading anything about PAGK having terminator armor. get these people to point to a rule that states they have Terminator armor, if they cant then they either will drop their pointless argument, or come up with a new way to not let you do it. If they still dont let you do it; dont play with them (their argument doesint even make sense)

The rule that dedicated transports can only transport certain units may have been removed from 40k (not sure never really figured that out) If the transports still count as dedicated then you will not be able to use them to transport grey knights. this has nothing to do with the armor the Grey knights have on, its because that transport can only transport the unit it was bought for.

hope i helped
    Last edited by sendaf; April 12th, 2009 at 15:06.
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by sendaf View Post
    All you have to do is prove that grey knights dont count as having Terminator armor.
    Actually, he doesn't. When making such an outragous claim, the opponent has to validate their claim, not you. How would one go about proving that a Space Marine is not an ork in disguise? it doesn't say anywhere they aren't orks. Hence, the arguer would have to bear the burden of digging out the evidence...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Yeah, the opponent is right that GKs can't take Rhinos in DH armies, but wrong in that it's because they're considered to be the same as terminators. I can see this argument for Grey Knight TERMINATORS, and perhaps this is what the OP's opponent said, or meant to say. That would make much more sense.

No, plain vanilla GKs can't take Rhinos in a DH army because it simply says in the codex that their only transport option is the Land Raider. Now, that's in a purely DH army. My vote is that if Tau pathfinders can "lend" their dedicated Devilfish transport to a firewarrior squad and get away with it, there's certainly no reason why a GK squad allied to a SM squad can't take a dedicated SM Rhino. As far as I'm concerned, it's the same thing.

My only quibble would be that, by that rationale, GK terminators should also get to ride in a Rhino. Yes? No?
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

My only quibble would be that, by that rationale, GK terminators should also get to ride in a Rhino. Yes? No?
    No. Rhinos and Razorbacks cannot carry any models in Terminator armour.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    No. Rhinos and Razorbacks cannot carry any models in Terminator armour.
    Point, set and match. So there ya go.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread