Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
My first impression of the Astropath was that he was not that useful. Since we are loosing our ability to deepstrike large portions of our army (via the DS doctrine), I did not see enough reason to ever take a Astropath unless you were taking a lot of ST.
However, perhaps I judged the blind guy too quickly. We have some interesting abilities in our new codex, one of which is the ability to outflank many units
1. Sgt. Hakar. This guy will become a very common upgrade for Vet squads. Not only does he allow your Vets (who are troops remember) to infiltrate (outflank), move through cover, and stealth, but he also has a personal Heavy Bolter that he can use on the move (relentless). Give the squad a few meltaguns and perhaps even a chimera and outflank.
2. Cpt. Al'Rahem. An upgrade for the PCS officer, Al'Rahem allows for some very interesting tactics. First off he gets 2 orders at 12", gets the Senior Officer order "Bring it Down!" (TL against MC/vehicles) as well, and gets his own special order that allows a unit to shoot and then RUN! after shooting However, the real kicker is that his whole Platoon must Outflank. So a 25man platoon mounted in Chimeras could all outflank
3. Creed. An upgrade for your CCS. Creed has 4 orders at 24", can get Furious Charge/Fearless to units, and at the start of the game, gives Scout to a infantry or vehicle unit.... Vehicle Unit. SQUADRON OF LRBT. Imagine 3 Outflanking Demolishers
4. Valk/Vendetta. Both can Scout/DS/Outflank, both are fast and can carry troops. Very good for getting objectives and hitting vulnerable units.
5. Sentinels. Out little friends did get a 10pt price drop, nice (but I was hoping for more). For 105pts you can outflank a 3 Sentinel squadron and start harassing side armor and troops.
6. Penal Squad. Stubborn, Scout/Outflanking, Scoring, and will have a whacky ability? Well, if anything, they'd be fun
I think there is some interesting potential for powerful Outflanking elements in IG lists. Combined with a strong firebase and you can have a lot of fun Coming in on the 2nd turn on a 3+ (and rerolling the side you want to come in on) means that an Astropath would be a great investment if you wanted to take advantage of these tactics. Food for thought
Last edited by BoxANT; April 11th, 2009 at 23:08.
If the rumours of warseer are correct...
1 - One squad only.
2 - These one is interesting, the problem is that charge with Chimeras with weak side armor is kind of... maybe with heavy flamers.
3 - One vehicle only, no squadron. My doubt is if 1 unit means one squad or one platoon like option 2, also is not clear if allow transports or not.
4 - Deep strike flying-tanks sounds fun... and risky.
5 - Fine in small games, but if I can pay the points I go skimmers, the superior firepower with door heavy bolters can be more cost/efficient.
6 - If only we can give them krak grenades... Well, is gona be fun against Tau. Bye,bye battle suit! No more ease Hit & Run.
"The only valid test is combat; the only valid result is victory"
Ardak Kumerian, Klingon Admiral.
Yeah Hakar is a unique upgrade, didn't mean to imply otherwise hehe.
The wording on Creed's ability is not completely clear. It says one infantry unit or one vehicle unit. To me that can mean a LRBT squadron because they are unit (1 KP).
I wouldn't DS a Valk, too risky and can't fire much when they come in, but I would for sure outflank
Yeah it's too bad about Sentinels still being kinda expensive. But if you're short on Valk models, a squadron of Sentinels would be an "ok" sub.
I'm looking forward to trying out Penal Squads, if anything they'll be fun
There does seem to be a serious ammount of out flanking potential in our new codex - and you can't argue with options like that. At some point, I must use Al'Rahem. If I read his ability like you, BoxANT - then his entire platoon gets to outflank. But...in the new codex a platoon his the officer squad, all the infantry squads, potentially conscripts, heavy weapons and special weapons teams. Upwards of 150 guardsmen with 6 chimera could outflank! I mean...holy damn that's a lot of men.
Not necessarly practical I'll grant you but the look on your opponent's face when you ask him how he managed to miss an entire platoon sneaking up on him would be priceless
Last edited by Cannonball; April 12th, 2009 at 13:29.
as boxant said above, the entire platoon for al'rahem must outflank. you can't choose during deployment, they're just instantly held in reserves and awaiting it, part of his "Stalk the Enemy" rule. that can be a little undesirable at times though.
His "like the wind!" order is a bit overly unreliable in the risk involved if used in trying to hit and run out of 12" range. but his claw weapon can be perfect if you can get it to connect against an enemy independant character you really want dead.
i really wish taking him allowed you to incorporate rough rider squadrons in his platoon... that'd be too badass
Can Storm Troopers outflank?
Creed's abiltiy might make Hellhounds and Bane Wolfs more useful.
Personally I'd rather have Sentinels than Valkyries/Vendettas. They can easily get a 4+ cover save compared to the skimmer and you can have around 3 of them with points to spare compared to most valk/vend loadouts.
"I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."~Lord Yossanrion"Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."~Quick"Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"~Diggum's Hammer
Two words: Astropath Bomb.
Take two command squads with Astropaths. If you can somehow keep your astropaths safe during the first turn, imagine the Fury you could bring down if everything else outflanking on turn 2...
Yeah, probably not viable. But fun if ya could...
RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!