Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hell no; as before, unit cohesion and immobilized results are still too dangerous.
Hell yes (for reasons which don't include FoC restrictions)
Hell yes (Mostly or entirely because of FoC restrictions)
I've been thinking about squading groups of LR's or squading groups of Artillery and it seems like there could be some pretty scary options, aside from just trying to take as many AV choices as you can.
For example, firing a squad of multipul manticores. Can you say 2d3 S10 templates which are all linked together through the barrage rule? I can't imagine a deathstrike missile causing nearly as much damage.
Or wound allocation. Take 1 stripped down LRBT, and one or two with sponson plasma cannons and proceed to reign death while making the vanilla tank take all the hits (obviously this wont work against an AV-killing spam army that will get multipul wounds, like Dark Elves /w Dark Lances). And if we can still upgrade with Track Guards (no immobilized resulsts) then it will be even nastier.
Or, my favorite, the fact that you count all hits in a squad before you roll for wounds. Can you imagine getting 30 hits against ten marines with a battle cannon before rolling a single cover save? Or 30 battlecannon hits, 6 plasma cannon hits and a few heavy bolter hits thrown in for good measure?
What about outflanking a squad of three hellhounds with that special character's rule?
So, what do you guys think? Vehicle squads only to maximize AV or do you think that the possibilities outweigh the risks? Anyone have any other pros/cons?
Also, an appeal to those who have read the codex: Please, please tell me that Track Guards are still in there.
At first I thought it would be nice. But when I found out what vehicle squadrons drawbacks are I thought the price was too high. Immobilize and assault damage against the squadron as a whole were the two big things that told me that tank armours are going to be completely awesome some games and in others just crap.
Yes, because at some point I wasnt to bring all my hulls. Once I settle down I will probably use squadrons of 2 russ plus Hydras.
Gah, I hadn't even thought about assault :p Still, so long as you are protecting your Russes in squads like you would individual Russes...
I'll admit that's a massive mitigating factor though :p
YES! Praise the Emperor, YES!
1. IG has the best Heavies in the game. Griffion, Colossus, LRBT, LRDemo, LRErad, LRExec, all awesome.
2. IG has plenty of ways to keep armor alive. Screening LRBTs with infantry is not hard to do and will present a daunting obstacle for assaulting units and meltagunners.
3. The more AV14 you bring, the more effective it becomes. One or two LRBT is nice, but trying to take out 4+ becomes extremely difficult. In addition, you're also dropping more pie.
4. There are some interesting squadron tricks: Griffion + Colossus = more accurate ap3 ignoring cover barrage, LRExec + LRBT (both with camo) = more plasma shots being fired.
5. The more AV14 you bring, the longer your AV12 survives. Many armies have only a handful of serious anti tank weapons, if they're spending their times trying to take out AV14, it leaves AV12 in the clear
6. SHOCK AND AWE!! You know the first time you set up your army, the look of your opponent's face when he sees 6 LRBT, 100+ infantry, and a crap load of HWs... it's going to be priceless
quick question what are FoC restrictions?
We who have seen war will never stop seeing it....In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams....
I think the aquadrons will have some use. I can't see taking the full 3 Russes in the squadron, but having 2 should work well. Some of the artillery or hydras would probably work well in the full squadron though. As Boxant mentioned also, some interesting tricks you could pull off with them.
I think we'll have to be more careful with the vehicles though, as it looks like they will be even more vulnerable to assault now. It's a shame we can't take track guards anymore though.
the way i see it; I stick Vanquisher w/ Pask with a regular vanquisher or a 5 plasma Executioner with a regular battle tank. the lesser tank is now able to act as a buffer for my more important and more expensive one. works against those single rail-gun hammerhead shots or most other tanks that mount just one main AT gun, and other anti-armor weapons that get fired. it's not exactly cheap; but losing a 150-170pt tank is a hell of a lot better than losing a 220+pt specialized tank, at least for me it is. and the added firepower isn't exactly wasted.
'Course these are just my plans in my mech list, my infantry/tank list isn't really heavy on tanks enough to need squadrons.