Merging the squads discussion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experimental Strategist Sun the Unwilling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Merging the squads discussion

Was trying out a 50 man squad with 5 meltaguns, vox and commissar today with a supporting officer right behind in a chimera. I must say I was impressed. My opponent was bent on shooting at it with all he has, took a lot of casualties but 1 orders to 5 squads combined firepower was extremely powerful. End of the game there was still 20 guys in there with 5 meltaguns.

Just saw another guy's post about 50 guys and giving the sarges power weapons. That is 4*5=20 power weapon attacks on the charge! That will mean like 3 dead marines + the wounds caused by the other dudes. Like 45*2=90 attacks. Killing another 5 or so?

If you add in a crazed priest or maybe "For Cadia" order that gives Furious Charge... that will be amazing.

Anti-tank capability, check.
    Tank shock deterrent, check.
    Close range shooting, check.
    Close combat teeth, check.

What are your thoughts??

"Hard pounding, gentlemen: but we shall see who can pound the longest."
    Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

It's been discussed before, I haven't heard any reports on actual use.

Try it out, let us know how it works.

Personally, I am a fan of "bring more guns", and Powerweapons are not cheap.

Additionally, if you fail a morale test, Mr. Commissar kills one of your Powerweapon wielding Sgts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

And with Ld 8, there's a good chance that may happen

Member of the Fluffmasters Clan

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Can't you have multiple Commissars in there as well?

For another 5 power-weapon wielding nutters. Thats a lot of power. Wow. More power-weapons than a normal squad has lasguns. Assault Terminators (Storm Shields be damned - we all know full well that a 3+ is breachably by volume of attacks/shots) eat your hearts out.

I think we have the ultimate steamroller assault unit here you know. Okay, expensive as all hell (525 pts with no added fancy guns), but 50 strong and dishing out 40 power weapon attacks on the charge.

Okay its a squishy steamroller so a better analogy would be a giant blancmange of doom or something.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

118 (x6)

Now that is just plain silly. And not the good kind of silly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, combined squads exist for the sole purpose of kill points. There's not much of a reason to combine them in an objective game, you're just lowering your scoring units.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Beardy_Wierdy View Post
    Can't you have multiple Commissars in there as well?

For another 5 power-weapon wielding nutters. Thats a lot of power. Wow. More power-weapons than a normal squad has lasguns. Assault Terminators (Storm Shields be damned - we all know full well that a 3+ is breachably by volume of attacks/shots) eat your hearts out.

I think we have the ultimate steamroller assault unit here you know. Okay, expensive as all hell (525 pts with no added fancy guns), but 50 strong and dishing out 40 power weapon attacks on the charge.

Okay its a squishy steamroller so a better analogy would be a giant blancmange of doom or something.
    That would be aesome, maybe giving the sarges power weps is a bit much, instead just normal sarges and 5 meltaguns
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm planning on trying out a 40-strong unit + Commissar sometime. 5 Power Weapons, 4 Flamers, Krak Grenades for one squad, and a Vox.

Should be fairly interesting. Someone said they ran a simulation against Berserkers and Termies with TH/SS and 2 LCs and the Guardsmen came out on top... Considering they'd cost only a bit more (possibly 320 points at the above configuration) that's not a bad setup.

A Priest will only add to the insanity. And I think I just might.

This bears some thinking over...

With the Human Tide approach you can also grab Chenkov and get some Conscripts to choke your opponents with your corpses and blood... BRB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

118 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by jh316 View Post
    IMO, combined squads exist for the sole purpose of kill points. There's not much of a reason to combine them in an objective game, you're just lowering your scoring units.
    While I agree that it's main use in in KP reduction, a merged 30+ man unit w/ a commissar is a beast when planted on an objective (in cover).

Yes you could keep the squads separate, but when you combine them, the commissar can effect them all and their PCS can order them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I have a squad of Conscripts 40 strong led by a commissar they do ok, if i can actually get them into a place were they can shoot, as sometimes they get stuck behind cover, or in one game they were in assault with Assault Marines the whole game.
    We who have seen war will never stop seeing it....In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast