Highway to Hilarity: Bike Armies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highway to Hilarity: Bike Armies

My friend has been playing a bike army he put together, around 40 or 50 models, lots and lots of bikes with meltas, plasmas, and outflanking scout bikers. He also uses the White Scars special character.

SO, I have beaten him, and lost to him while facing this army, I was wondering if it really is an essentially viable army in anyone's experience. I've never seen anyone else do one. He's considering going all out with it and spending the absurd cost of 800+ on an 1850 bike army.

Has anyone ever seen a marine bike list in a tournament?

Mene, Mene, Tekel U-Pharsin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see it working.

The only thing that he should really understand is that he has to be very tactically decise in all of his endeavors, since (even more so than regular Space Marines) he does not have the luxury of expended lives. His plan should be to be like a scalpel, hit one precise spot with everything he has and absolutely annihilate it. From there, he can pick apart the rest of the opposing forces.

An all-biker army is really iffy, in my opinion. The list should be mixed up a little with a little bit of armor and some fast moving support. Predators and Land Speeders should be there to support his bikes, since a few attack bikes make very little difference in the grand scheme of things.

I've never seen a Space Marine biker list run at a tournament, but if played with tactical finesse it should shine thoroughly. Fritz, over at Way of Saim-Hann, runs a Saim-hann army which is basically the same idea only with less special weapons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I love bike armies, i'd have one but the 800+ dollar cost is a bit much for peices of plastic.

It should do well, make sure he doesn't take landspeeders. When your only vehicles are armoured by a cardboard box there are problems. The same thing will happen if he picks up 1-2 preds. If you want armour go with indirect firing whirlwinds.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin vanrooyen View Post
    It should do well, make sure he doesn't take landspeeders. When your only vehicles are armoured by a cardboard box there are problems. The same thing will happen if he picks up 1-2 preds. If you want armour go with indirect firing whirlwinds.
    Yeah, he's been running it with one whirlwind.

A question is, because we just picked up the Dark Angels codex, whether he should run ravengaurd/beliel. In that list, you have fewer mans, but they all can outflank and are fearless, and in addition, they can take landspeeders in their squads. So, as clarification, how does this work. I know you can combat squad and get scoring landspeeders (!!!).

Does anyone have a preference on Ravenwing to White Scars? I have no clue.
    Mene, Mene, Tekel U-Pharsin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

I've never seen all bike white scars at a tournament, and the one that got me best general only had 1 bike squad in it! To make pure bike armies effective they need predator destructors & multi melta land speeder support (just because of their ability to become a distraction and fast, they also cause your opponent to direct his anti-armour at them and not your bikes who get insta-deathed by it.)

When it comes to the two codexes side-by-side the SM one is better and should do well in a tournament setting, however I've never seen it done. I've lost many a game with white scars because the outflank can get unreliable and fast.

I've seen ravenwing win at tournaments, mostly because I was using them , but they only win because I manage to turtle well, not to mention 24" turbo boost to contest an objective. with them you ALWAYS deploy out of line of sight and almost always (depending on who has first turn) scout out of line of sight or into cover. After that your landspeeders and preds do most of the work.

now you mention belial...Multiwing is another issue, it can win hence it got 3rd at last years UK Grand Tournament (I have that list btw if you want to try it) but your always going to be outnumberd (ravenwing goes the same route just less so) Dark Angels in general just need to be played smart.

my 2 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

I have proxy the following list and it works quite well.

HQ = Captain = 170 points
    - relic blade, bike, melta bombs

HQ = Librarian = 190 points
    - Terminator armor, storm shield, epistolary, gate of infinity, vortex of doom
    (goes with terminators, use gate only if you need to cover lots of distance, he is in terminator armor so that he can move and fire the vortex, if you find you don't like gate; quickening or null zone work really well too)

Elites = 10 Terminators = 400 points
    - 10 w/ TH + SS
    (start them on the field, I would combat squad them but you don't have to, these guys will eat most of the anti-tank fire keeping your troops safer)

Troops = 6 bikers = 175 points
    - 2 w/ flamer
    Troops = 6 bikers = 175 points
    - 2 w/ flamer
    Troops = 6 bikers = 185 points
    - 2 w/ melta gun
    - 2 w/ melta gun
    - 2 w/ melta gun
    - 2 w/ melta gun

Total = 1850
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems Viable, but I would be afraid of Basilisk/defilier spam if I were him. Those things eat bikes for breakfast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i believe you need power weapons at best power fists for MC's or you will get owned in cc nice list but maybe take a squad of 3 multimelta attack bikes.

i'm assuming your running librarian with termies but a winged tryant is going to walk all over you it can just jump away from your termies as there to slow if you had shrikes fleet of foot you'd be a bit better off.

your point of ravenwing having outflank can be counted with white scars captian who gives army outflank and the squad he is with furious charge combine him with command squad with power weapons and you have very nice combo that still moves rapidly

Mississauga/GTA - PM and lets set up a game!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Ravenwing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gruntybreath View Post
    Does anyone have a preference on Ravenwing to White Scars?
    Not that I am biased... but I prefer Ravenwing. Sure my bike squads may be smaller, but they always have outflank, even if you don't run Sammael. Speaking of which, for the same cost as Khan, I prefer him as either a jetbiking plasma cannon or an AV14 land speeder with twin-linked bolters and assault cannons. Shooty death and a harder nut to crack than a biker! I also like how giving your sargeant a power weapon is in addition to his pistol, so he gets +1A. Fearless is also useful to keep away those pesky leadership tests for loosing bikes to shooting. For the small points cost, getting a biker apothecary is also a tremendous boost. While they do cost more than SM bikers, remember that you are paying extra for (at least!) Scout, Fearless and teleport homers (only useful with Deathwing I know, but hey ). There's a couple other things but I can't remember them right now (running on 4hrs sleep!).

I tried running a bike list with the new SM codex but eventually went back to my C: DA for both my Ravenwing and my Deathwing. Cheers.
    Dark Angels WIP (completed) | more pics
    Guess this explains why I like my Dark Eldar so much...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by gruntybreath View Post

A question is, because we just picked up the Dark Angels codex, whether he should run ravengaurd/beliel. In that list, you have fewer mans, but they all can outflank and are fearless, and in addition, they can take landspeeders in their squads. So, as clarification, how does this work. I know you can combat squad and get scoring landspeeders (!!!).

Does anyone have a preference on Ravenwing to White Scars? I have no clue.

1. If you want a full Ravenwing force, you need to take Master Sammael.

2. Only bikes/ABs are, not the speeders.

3. A "dualwing" force, is quite tricky, as DW termies are pricey. However, if you so disire, you can take one squad of DW for a nasty surprise!

4. Purchasing a full squad of bikers ( ABs doesn't count ), you may have one speeder.

5. When you split your squad of six bikers, into two combat squads, the attached AB and/or speeder (if any) also become seperate scoring units.

As preference, I'd go Ravenwing. Taking Master Sammeal ( is a must btw ), you fill up your troop choices with bike squads ( which can be split up into 4 scoring units when full ), and this leaves speeder squads for your fast attack choices. If purchased right ( mostly full bike squads ), you can field an "insane" number of scoring units!

Just my two bolter casings.

Last edited by MaleOpener; April 19th, 2009 at 16:47. Reason: corrections/additions

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast