SoB - One Trick Ponies? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

SoB - One Trick Ponies?

So we'll keep the post train rolling.

I was talking with some WH players over the last couple of days, and I keep hearing the same sort of problems when playing WH's.

You have your girls, all piled into a rhino. You manage to get up the field, pile out and shoot. At this point, you hope that your ladies kill enough of the enemy squads that there isn't really anything else to cause them immediate harm.

But lets say you aren't so lucky with those 6's and you kill 2/10 or something. You get charged and then what? You can't get away. You can't really beat them into a pulp. It seems to me, and apparently to some other players as well, that you basically get one good shot at this. If it works awesome, and if it doesn't that unit is screwed.

Now I want to express my one caveat with this. I haven't actually played a WH's game yet. This is all from talking to other people. I just thought I would let more of the community weigh in and see if I can learn from some other people's mistakes so I don't get bogged down on turn 2.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Thats how a game will go if you play your army very incorrectly and have a poorly constructed list. Basically how you solve the problem you have is you concentrate the fire power of 2 - 4 sisters squads too wipe out an entire squad or two and then use your Cannonesses and Seraphim to tie up the other remaining enemy units, next turn hit and run with the Seraphim, clean up the unit they were engaged with and from there the battle goes on. So no, they aren't one trick ponies, they are just aren't as straight forward as your typical 40k army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you exercise a little creativity (i.e. Don't rush blindly forward, use multiple squads to engage an enemy and ensure a wipe, use rhinos to create a wall, occasionally fire from the top hatch instead of getting out of rhinos), Sisters can be far from a one trick pony. We have many tricks, it just takes finesse and experience, something many players lack if this is their first army, hence our reputation as a "difficult" or "weak" army.

Also, CC is bad for us, but not that bad. Give me a Sister squad with a Vet Superior with Eviscerator and Book of Saint Lucius, let me try to pop faith to get a 3+ invulnerable (you may have to let yourself lose a few Sisters to get this reliably) and watch me win. I've had 5 Sisters pop a 3+ invuln and survive a charge by two other units, take no casualties, hit back with eviscerator, win combat, force the enemy to run, move forward and herd them off the board. Also, today, my Sisters won combat against a Claw Stompa. That's right. They beat a Super Heavy walker in close combat.

Sisters are a mixed bag. They've become my favorite army, but they have flaws as well as strengths, and they require a steady hand to play them.
    I'm trying to catalog every song with a reference to yetis or Sasquatch. Please help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I ally a squad of sisters of battle into my imperial gaurd army and what you describe is exactly what i want.

Sure they only get 1 round of shooting but even a below average round of shooting from the girls can be pretty rough for an enemy. They also delay assault units from hitting my gunline. They can also capture objectives, survive when on an objective (something my guard has trouble doing) and scare troops out of cover with their flamers. all in a cheap, mobile squad.

I intentionally use my sisters as a 1 trick pony and they still perform beautifully.
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is some of my tricks for dealing with those issues. Like others mentioned before using combined fire with atleast 2 sqds of sisters. One other thing that I like to add on to the combined arms fire is to tank shock your enemy with your rhinos. Tank shock him at certain angles that force his guys to clump up into a straight line or teardrop shape(If he chooses to move out of the way which often times most opponents will do he will have to move his guys the shortest distance out of the way which will leave them right next to each other) Then let lose with the flamers. When doing the tank shock if at all possible while ur getting his guys to clump up if you can set up the rhino path so it blocks ur sisters from enemy sqds that will be good to. A true test of multi tasking if you will.

Another trick aganist assualt armies is to use the broadside of the rhino to lure assualters into an attack( don't let him surround the vehicle or else this wont work). His guys clump along the broadside after the attack and you get out and murder him with ur flamers getting between 8 to 15 guys per flamethrower shot depending on your opponent size combined with divine guidance should come out real nasty for him.

If there are any survivors you can use the shots from your exorcist to mop of the survivors but remember to keep target priority in mind when doing this.

I think the real problem with sisters atleast for me is getting to the enemy sure I have rhinos with smoke launchers and extra armor but it still doesn't cut it. You will have to improvise for this by supplying the enemy with distractions.

So anyways sisters of battle/ Witch Hunters are probably the 2nd hardest army to play with in the entire army( 1st is Daemonhunters in my opinion.)

---------- Post added at 00:19 ---------- Previous post was at 00:15 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by crazyrpger View Post
    If you exercise a little creativity (i.e. Don't rush blindly forward, use multiple squads to engage an enemy and ensure a wipe, use rhinos to create a wall, occasionally fire from the top hatch instead of getting out of rhinos), Sisters can be far from a one trick pony. We have many tricks, it just takes finesse and experience, something many players lack if this is their first army, hence our reputation as a "difficult" or "weak" army.

Also, CC is bad for us, but not that bad. Give me a Sister squad with a Vet Superior with Eviscerator and Book of Saint Lucius, let me try to pop faith to get a 3+ invulnerable (you may have to let yourself lose a few Sisters to get this reliably) and watch me win. I've had 5 Sisters pop a 3+ invuln and survive a charge by two other units, take no casualties, hit back with eviscerator, win combat, force the enemy to run, move forward and herd them off the board. Also, today, my Sisters won combat against a Claw Stompa. That's right. They beat a Super Heavy walker in close combat.
    One of my Battle sisters sqds was assualted by abbadon and his retinue of cheese and a sqd of chaos space marines I passed my invul save and I lost zero battle sisters( He did not wiff he it and wounded a lot I just passed every single invul : ) ).
    Sisters are a mixed bag. They've become my favorite army, but they have flaws as well as strengths, and they require a steady hand to play them.

+ Reply to Thread