Bastonne Tactical Discussion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experimental Strategist Sun the Unwilling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Bastonne Tactical Discussion

This guy is flexible. Ever find it hard to dislodge marines in cover? With this guy, you no longer have anything to fear! Put him in a chimera, give his squad plasmas. Drive up to an enemy objective, dismount, give the re-roll cover save order and shoot away.

He could also be used on the defense of an objective against enemy fire power by using his Incoming! order after his chimera is popped. With the same configurations you can also quite a bit of stuff by defending against deep striking enemies.

Any more interesting ways to use him?

"Hard pounding, gentlemen: but we shall see who can pound the longest."
    Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like he'd do well surrounded by plasma guns in a Chimera. With the BiD! order he can make them quite effective at taking down monstrous creatures. He's expensive though, he costs nearly as much as the squad itself. You can buy a second Company Command Squad for less.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

while he is expensive he basically is a scoring company commander that can only order his squad around. I think he makes a great unit to bring the fight to the enemy
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

In fact, I'm planning on having him bring the fight to the enemy, in Vengance Flight. He and his squad of Grenadiers will be air assault, Aboard a valkyrie, alongside with one or two other squads of either Grey Knights, an Inquisitor and Company, or some Penal troops. And they'll all be landing next to infiltrated squads which will hopefully be still around by the time the air cav comes in.
    "Speed is life! You go slow, you die!"
    -Sgt. Unther, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

It's a hard call.

On one hand, he's a really cool character and can give Orders to his squad (and the good orders). BiD! & FomT! with a plasma squad is very nice. He will make a squad of veteran extremely effective at operating on their own.

However, he is not cheap. If you take a squad of Vets, give them 'pace and upgrade to Bastonne, you are looking at the time price as a squad of ST. I know people scoff at how overpriced ST are, but they have ap3 guns. Personally, I would rather have ap3 guns than be able to give my vets orders.

Now if you don't give them 'pace, you save some points, but they're still really expensive, you could almost take a 2nd squad of vets for the price of Bastonne

But saying all of that, I still think he is really cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Fun idea, but I'd rather have another CCS with more meltas.

Like the Galaxy Quest reference though
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x5)

I love Bastonne. He is one of my favorite new additions to the IG codex. But will I use him? Probably not. It all depends on the points I have left over. If by the end of making my list I have enough then sure but if not then I doubt I would use him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

I will probably try Bastonne out for a while once I get my 'official' codex.

I like some of the options he gives you. I think he could make for a good anchor to one flank.

I'll probably use Al Raheem for outflanking, and Harker for an infiltrating Vet Squad.

it should make for an interesting all infantry list.

I'm still a bit leery of Heavy weapon squads. the insta-kill and low Ld make them prime kills, having a Commisar lord or cannoness w/Book of St. Lucius would help though.
    check out Farmpunk's blog:
    the Back 40k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

I think Bastonne is a great and extremely characterful, and I think he is priced pretty much correctly. He will make the squad very expensive, and it is a big hit to take, but that squad becomes great at operating independently, so it makes excellent Chimera/Valkyrie/Vendetta material.

In terms of his price, you will probably be equipping the Sergeant with either a Powerfist or Power Weapon anyway, so you can take that cost off the difference when you look at him, personally I think the passive abilities alone (Leadership 10 and Iron Discipline) are worth at least half of the remaining difference, so as long as you can afford that squad I think he is well worth it.

My first reaction was the same as many of the other posters, give the squad 3 Plasmaguns and use the re-roll cover saves order, I also give them Grenadiers for fluff, survivability and for nostalgia (I used to be a Grenadiers fanatic in the last codex), and put a Vox in there for the sake of it.
    In a Valkyrie/Vendetta I might be tempted to change their weapons load out though, a Heavy Flamer might be good as they have the extra speed and are really good at dumping on an objective and flushing a squad out, I always give it to their Chimera if they have one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x5)

I just played with Bastonne the other day in a 1500pt list against Choas Daemons. I got to say he helped alot. He kept the squad in line and provided a great deal of needed strength to the squad. I did lose because of Tallymans (I believe that is what the nurgle unit is called) and his abilities. By the end of the game he was down to three troop squads which were a pain to kill cause of Tallyman, Ku'gath who was down to 1 wound thanks to my heavy weapon squads of missile and lascannons, and a beast of nurgle who was down to a wound.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast