Commissar Lord worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Commissar Lord worth it?

Looking at the new Commissar Lord he's the only remaining character that has a leadership bubble. He's the best combatant that the guard codex has to offer with WS5 and he's stubborn with the highest leadership possible.

But I can't help but feel he's overcosted. While most things in the army decreased in points value or increased in ability he seems like we're paying more for less. The only thing I can really compare this to is Gaunt as he's basically a Commissar lord in the 4ed codex.

The Commissar Lord is 15 more points (with power sword, and camo cloak)

The Commissar Lord has 6" lower command radius

Gaunt has a strength 4 power weapon

Gaunt is fearless, the Commissar Lord is stubborn (I favor the stubborn as fearless is bad when you only have a 5+ armor save)

Gaunt has the front liner nerf (essentially rage)

Gaunt has the inspiring charge rule.

The Commissar has increased BS.

Pointswise the commissar lord would be equivalent to buying a command squad and giving it a variety of weapons.

Forgot to mention the Commissar Lord has a refractor field

Last edited by MadLarkin; April 21st, 2009 at 05:01. Reason: forgot the invulv save
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Not really worth the points in my opinion. He's the only option for getting a commissar in a Conscript Squad but as you said, he's expensive and not very efficient. "Leadership bubble" seems to be replaced in the new codex with a senior officer's ability to issue the "Get back in the fight" order. Won't keep you from running once, but allows you to regroup at least.

A Commissar Lord could potentially be a useful addition if you have points to spare. But I don't think he replaces the Company Command Squad as a virtually compulsory HQ choice, because he can't issue orders. He can be a worthwhile close combat hitter, but I'd rather have at least a half squad of Rough Riders for his same point cost.

Really all I can say very positively for the Commisar Lord is that I find him a more worthwhile investment than the Primaries Psyker, but still not as good as a Command Squad. And since I'm likely to have the CCS anyway, the points for a Commissar Lord would probably be better spent on buying Creed to get more orders, larger radius, etc.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

He only has 2 real reasons to be in a list.

1. Conscripts. 50 concripts w/ a lord is a big sticky unit. However, for just 15 more points, you could just take a 50man infantry platoon w/ a commissar, they'll be able to take weapons and shoot a heck of a lot better before they need to get stuck in.

2. Giving Ld10 to HWS. He basically is a poor mans Creed&Kell. However, a 12" bubble is a LOT harder to fit HWS in that a 48" bubble, in addition C&K gives you more orders as well.

Awesome model though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

Perhaps he would be a good HQ for really small games, like 500-1000 points? Everyone could stay near him and he knows how to fight. In fact he's pretty much the ultimate warrior as far as ordinary humans go, which is cool.

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

I could see him being used to give an Assault weapon Vet squad a little added CC, but, I would just as soon purchase a Priest for that purpose. WS5 is nothing to scoff at; S3 T3 I3 is. He'll on average be more expensive than a CCS with Regimental Standard because he absolutely needs a Power Weapon and Carapace Armor, so why not just take the CCS and issue orders too.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with him being the HQ choice for a small game is that he's 20 points more than a company command squad without any of the flexibility that they offer in upgrade. The 4 veterans that come with the company squad can be upgraded with just about anything, and you can give your company commander gear that can make him almost as good as the Comissar Lord.

In fact, I'm going to go the opposite way and say that he's only worth it in high point games. His leadership aura would be great for the front line squads and make it so that the squads will be more likely to take the orders of the platoon commanders. Positioned properly it should be relatively easy to get 3 units into his leadership bubble and not all that hard to get 4 or even 5.

Considering he's the same cost as 2 regular commissars, I think it'd be worth taking him if he's going to be able to replace at least two commissars with his leadership bubble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

In general with our HQs, it's hard to beat the super cheap CCS.

The bubble of Ld10 and stubborn is nice, but as an IC he is quite vulnerable and still fairly expensive. Plus, using him instead of a CCS denies you access to the good orders.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

I will be getting my IG codex this weekend and i'm really excited, this guy always looked like a great dude (eventhough i always had the inkling he isn't all that usefull). It's just so great to have this guy leading your army!
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread