newb questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newb questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

newb questions

hey long time gamer short time witch hunter. Im just writing my frist lists and building the first load of models.

Immolater: do you guys just stick to heavy flammers or do you use the multimelta and heavy bolter upgrades?

also are they worth taking they are cheap but seem pretty crappy to me

Rhino: im not really one for sticking everything in a transport so how integral are they to the way WH play?

Landraider: at 1500-2000pts i would like to include one, but is this a good idea? and you need to take a inquistor lord , do inquistor lords make a good HQ?

cant say ive really seen anyone play WH at my local shop so:

What level of AT can i expect from WH? since my main foes will be Marines and IG which always go vehicle heavy

the other heavily used army is nids, how do WH fare against them ?

Also i love the Inquisitor Lord Karamazov and Saint Celesteine models, but do they play well and how realisticly can i expect to include them in a list?

sorry for all the uber-newb questions

many thanks in advance for any replies and expect even more questions ;D!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x3)

1) i'd only take heavy flamer because its cheap, you get a strong template where you re-roll to wound AND can fire when moving at full speed

2) due to their smaller capacity, only useful as transports for smaller units like dominion and celestian (retinue mainly). DONT take one as heavy choice, exorcists are too good

3) transports are probably easier, we have loads of close range weapons and low T, you figure it out

4) seen some good lists getting a land raider using a cheap inquisitor, you need at least a 1 member retinue to get one. i wouldnt advise using a lord as an hq.. cananoness provides loads of faith, is cheaper, and kicks ass. lord cannot be used for an hq, only in elite slot.

5) AT is melta squads (10 sisters in a rhino with 2 melta guns) seraphim (2 inferno pistols) canoness (jump pack and eviserator) in fact anyone with an eviserator and exorcists

6) depends on the type of nid army, horde is great, just flamer and heavy flamer up and rock and roll.. nidzilla can be hard

7) in my opinion both a bit overpriced (st celestine has a huuuge drawback) would like to try karamazov, but doesnt provide faith and a large point sink..

remember sisters squads are your most important, use cananess for hq, and throw in some seraphim and exorcists to help out, all the rest are optional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the reply very helpfull

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by manicdemise View Post
    hey long time gamer short time witch hunter. Im just writing my frist lists and building the first load of models.
    Welcome to the Inquisition, may the light of the emperror shine on your path, and leave all your enemies in total darkness of void though your exorcists!
    Immolater: do you guys just stick to heavy flammers or do you use the multimelta and heavy bolter upgrades?

Flamer Immolators are the best option for the immolator IMO. That said, Immolator itself is kinda crappy, but exquisitely fluffy.

Rhino: im not really one for sticking everything in a transport so how integral are they to the way WH play?
    Having a short range offensive army it is very crucual to have an upper hand on maneuvers. Rhinos do help immensely as transport and as shields for the rest of the forces like seraphim or maybe some grey knights or imperial guard if you choose that path. They are not a must, but I have seen very few successfull foot slugging lists.

Landraider: at 1500-2000pts i would like to include one, but is this a good idea? and you need to take a inquistor lord , do inquistor lords make a good HQ?

Inquisitor lord could be used as a great firebase, with his two heavy bolters and a plasma cannon setup. Although a Land Raider would be more suitable for a Daemonhunter force. Maybe adding grey knights in it would be a better idea.

cant say ive really seen anyone play WH at my local shop so:

What level of AT can i expect from WH? since my main foes will be Marines and IG which always go vehicle heavy

For AT we have plenty of melta weapons, eviscerators all around the house, and of course, the exorcist. We do have quite decent armamanet against tanks, our regular sisters can be buffed to str 5 with an act of faith, making them quite decent in melee against tanks and Wraith Lords as a last ditch effort.

Against swarm armies we do quite good, against Nidzilla I have some troubles myself.

Also i love the Inquisitor Lord Karamazov and Saint Celesteine models, but do they play well and how realisticly can i expect to include them in a list?

Our special characters are a tad overpriced and underpowered. But as all our models, they are very fluffy and beautiful. I have celestine just sitting on a shelf looking good. Did not get my hands on Throne of Judgment yet, but when I am done painting my army I do want one sitting next to my Celestine.
    Hope this helped a bit. Good luck and once again, welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a LR, I'd take an HQ Inquisitor Lord for her LD 10 and give her a Psychic Hood. If you take a DH Inquisitor Lord you could also take Mystics, but that's another codex to buy. Load the squad up with big guns. You're probably up to about 450 points though, so that's a big chunk of your army.
    Last edited by Marid; April 26th, 2009 at 03:16.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

a technique i stumbled across answers many of your questions concerning the IL and AT.

Take a DH IL with a psycannon, 2 HB servo and a PC servo (plus mystic) This adds essentially an extra heavy support in the place of a HQ slot. Im not going to go into detail about the actual load out, that was the basics. The main point was to get the Land Raider. Now with three heavy weapons you may be asking whats the point of taking a LR if they cant get in. Dont worry they wont be, the LR isnt for them but your Tank Hunting unit.

For that tank hunting unit have the Canoness with an inferno pistol and blessed weapon base team up with a squad of Celestians that have 2 meltas, 8 krak for the possible immobilize, 2x weapon destroyed for the kill and the VSS w/ an Eviscerator.

The Land Raider has enough armor to deliver these fine ladies to their target and enough fire power to kill a few tanks itself if your lucky. With the LR being an assault vehicle the unit inside can assault the turn it pops out of the vehicle. That means that any target tank will get a face full of melta goodness and then surrounded by a bunch a angry chicks with can openers.

If you positioned the LR correctly before dropping the ramp then it should shield the squad from enemy fire while they work.

Now i havent actually tested this technique but in theory it sounds incredible.

Suffer not the heretic. That's right, I'm looking at you Astartes Librarians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by manicdemise View Post
    Flamers, largely because I run mine as transports for Celestian retinues and so a multimelta would rarely get fired.

Yes and no; unless you have a spoecific task in mind for them they can be a bit of a waste of space.

Fairly integral; as has been noted the Sisters are low Toughness with a lot of short-ranged weapons. They CAN footslog, but they have a tendency to get picked off and you can soon find yourself wasting Faith Points trying to keep them together.

Landraider: at 1500-2000pts i would like to include one, but is this a good idea?
    They're nice to have, the Sisters are so cheap in points terms that a single LR isn't likely to water down your forces to any noticeable extent, but by the same token your army will run fine without one. As others have said it might be worth make your man an Elite Daemonhunters Inquisitor with a couple of heavy bolter servitors, two Mystics and a Land Raider transport.

and you need to take a inquistor lord , do inquistor lords make a good HQ?
    Not really; a nekkid Canoness costs the same as a nekkid Inquisitor Lord and she adds 2 Faith Points to your pool, plus if she dies she adds another 2. Take the Elite one; he's a worse unit but he isn't squatting in one of your HQ slots.

Not too bad, actually, and fairly cheap. The Seraphim are up to taking down just about anything with their Inferno Pistols and meltabombs, multiple Exorcists can be devastating, and then there's the good old Jump-packing Canoness and Meltas in a Rhino.

Well enough; the WH army is filled with templates and Rapid Fire weapons that can become AP1 with the roll of a dice, so a bit of fancy footwork can keep your ladies close enough to burn the broods without allowing them to charge.

Celestine is a more realistic aspiration than Karamazov, in my opinion. Karamazov's model is jaw-droppingly brilliant, but as an HQ he isn't fantastic. A lot of people use the Celestine model as their Jump-pack Canoness so you might consider that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Scave View Post
    The main point was to get the Land Raider. Now with three heavy weapons you may be asking whats the point of taking a LR if they cant get in. Dont worry they wont be, the LR isnt for them but your Tank Hunting unit.

With the LR being an assault vehicle the unit inside can assault the turn it pops out of the vehicle. That means that any target tank will get a face full of melta goodness and then surrounded by a bunch a angry chicks with can openers.
    I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but Inquisitor Lord's land raider is precisely what it is, an inquisitor lord's land raider, and he does not let anyone to test drive it. His land raider only may carry him and his retinue. This has been FAQd by GW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys!

to take a Daemonhunters Inquisitor though, would i need to use the WH as allies or visa versa? or am i missing something?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRussian View Post
    I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but Inquisitor Lord's land raider is precisely what it is, an inquisitor lord's land raider, and he does not let anyone to test drive it. His land raider only may carry him and his retinue. This has been FAQd by GW.
    hmm youre right, i just googled an FAQ and read that the rules in the codex take priority over the rulebook in this case. When looking through the codex for the DH it is stated in the transport section that transports can only be loaded with the unit bought for.

However if you read through the WH codex it has no such mention so the tactic will still work but only if you take the WH Inquisitor. The only disadvantage of this is the lack of the mystic and a psycannon toting inquisitor. The Tank Hunting unit will be uneffected.

Suffer not the heretic. That's right, I'm looking at you Astartes Librarians.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast