Best Dread weaponry? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ronneby (Sweden)
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,133
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

    Best Dread weaponry?

    Dear Inquisition,
    I am a gentle heretic who just bought me a Grey Knight Dreadnought that I intend to paint and sell. Now my question is what weaponry do you preffer on a Dread?
    I somehow have a feeling the Assaultcannon/DCCW is not the most loved version, am I right?

    Please help me and I promise I won't defile it....I do!


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    3 Getrudes Frank Fugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Liverpool
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

    TLLC/ ML Dreads are popular, although I quite like a nice Plasma Cannon/ DCCW with Incinerator because I do so love the blasts. The Assault Cannon we get is rubbish, I wouldn't bother with it.

  4. #3
    Senior Member image vertification sux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    England
    Age
    35
    Posts
    438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    19 (x1)

    I am building a Multi-Melta/DCCW and Heavy Flamer GK Dreadnought. I would use a Multi-Melta or Twin-linked Lascannon. Don't use a Missile Launcher, you can get so much more from a DCCW.
    I might write like a ork but i fight like a poet.
    Some one tell me they have ever seen a nightbringer die from a Nemesis Force Weapon.

  5. #4
    I am a free man! number6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The Village
    Posts
    4,941
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    ReputationReputation
    786 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by image vertification sux View Post
    I am building a Multi-Melta/DCCW and Heavy Flamer GK Dreadnought. I would use a Multi-Melta or Twin-linked Lascannon. Don't use a Missile Launcher, you can get so much more from a DCCW.
    I disagree. Dreads only get 2 attacks in close combat (3 on the charge). So you hit 1.x times and wound 1 enemy, on average. Color me unimpressed.

    This is not just GK dreads I'm talking about, but all dreadnoughts. I've never understood why players are frightened of dreadnoughts in melee. Virtually every army can just tarpit one with a cheap infantry unit if they want, while our GKs can actually glance them to death in very short order if we get caught in melee. Ironclads are dicier, but that's why you carry melta bombs on your Justicar, right? Not to mention that Ironclads are almost universally deployed via drop pod, so you get a full turn to turn your guns on them and blast them apart if you have to. But really ... dreads just aren't that scary a close combat threat.

    And DH armies have a distinct lack of long-range, heavy, anti-armour firepower. There is almost no reason to prefer a DCCW arm to a ML. For starters, the dread should always be carrying a TLLC. (If we could use the new AssCan stats, an argument could be made in favor of that. But without 4 shots and rending ... no way.) A multi-melta is cool, but difficult to employ without drop pod deployment. Plasma cannons are essentially anti-infantry, a role already well covered by everytyhing else in the DH/GK arsenal, and TL autocannons can't touch AV 14 and can only glance AV 13. And TL heavy bolters aren't even worth considering.

    So you simply must equip a TLLC for the main gun on a DH dread. In which case, why would you ever pair the DCCW arm with it? (Unless you really need to save 10 pts, in which case I understand.) As I noted, the DH army needs all the heavy firepower it can muster. A DCCW does not help in that respect. If you're hanging back to shoot the TLLC, the DCCW arm is totally wasted. If you're advancing to take advantage of the DCCW (which I maintain is a wussy choice), then the TLLC is not helping you thin down your enemy as you advance. Even our lame AssCan would be a better choice in that role.

    I just can't see any tactical argument that can be made in favor of the DCCW arm. If you want something "cool", well, that's about the only reason I can come up with. But the ML is way more effective and useful in a DH army.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

  6. #5
    Senior Member image vertification sux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    England
    Age
    35
    Posts
    438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    19 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    I disagree. Dreads only get 2 attacks in close combat (3 on the charge). So you hit 1.x times and wound 1 enemy, on average. Color me unimpressed.

    This is not just GK dreads I'm talking about, but all dreadnoughts. I've never understood why players are frightened of dreadnoughts in melee. Virtually every army can just tarpit one with a cheap infantry unit if they want, while our GKs can actually glance them to death in very short order if we get caught in melee. Ironclads are dicier, but that's why you carry melta bombs on your Justicar, right? Not to mention that Ironclads are almost universally deployed via drop pod, so you get a full turn to turn your guns on them and blast them apart if you have to. But really ... dreads just aren't that scary a close combat threat.

    And DH armies have a distinct lack of long-range, heavy, anti-armour firepower. There is almost no reason to prefer a DCCW arm to a ML. For starters, the dread should always be carrying a TLLC. (If we could use the new AssCan stats, an argument could be made in favor of that. But without 4 shots and rending ... no way.) A multi-melta is cool, but difficult to employ without drop pod deployment. Plasma cannons are essentially anti-infantry, a role already well covered by everytyhing else in the DH/GK arsenal, and TL autocannons can't touch AV 14 and can only glance AV 13. And TL heavy bolters aren't even worth considering.

    So you simply must equip a TLLC for the main gun on a DH dread. In which case, why would you ever pair the DCCW arm with it? (Unless you really need to save 10 pts, in which case I understand.) As I noted, the DH army needs all the heavy firepower it can muster. A DCCW does not help in that respect. If you're hanging back to shoot the TLLC, the DCCW arm is totally wasted. If you're advancing to take advantage of the DCCW (which I maintain is a wussy choice), then the TLLC is not helping you thin down your enemy as you advance. Even our lame AssCan would be a better choice in that role.

    I just can't see any tactical argument that can be made in favor of the DCCW arm. If you want something "cool", well, that's about the only reason I can come up with. But the ML is way more effective and useful in a DH army.
    Actually, you get 3 attacks, 2 of which hit, and most likely to wound. If the enemy cannot damage the dreadnought they lose combat by two, taking a LD at -2, giving me a chance to sweeping advance.

    They have a good strength vs. Vehicles and walkers in combat.

    The close-combat arm is most welcome in supporting GK's unit who come across some big nasties too.

    Ok well if you use a LRC like me then using a Dreadnought with a Mulit-melta forming a spearhead formation i.e. hide behind the LRC.

    Especially seen as the GKD puts pressure on the enemy combining, run, smoke launchers and extra armor. You can move towards an enemy with a very tuff nut to crack and the ability to crush infantry units, or tanks next turn.

    Face it Lascannons aren't no where near as good as Multi-Meltas in 5th edition. Lascannons are for light transports, not Leman Russes or Battlewagons.

    Plasma cannon is decent, I haven't used it because i'd rather use an Inquisitor Lord w/Retinue (incl. Plasmacannon)

    Ohyeah and the Heavy Flamer is great pre-charge kick.
    I might write like a ork but i fight like a poet.
    Some one tell me they have ever seen a nightbringer die from a Nemesis Force Weapon.

  7. #6
    LO Ninja Pheonix Lord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NW England
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

    Las cannon and missile launcher combo is the best, and in our army, the most usefull. Plasma cannon takes second place then the auto cannon. Depending on how you deploy the DCCW is only usefull working in cojunction with a squad of PAGK to add its weight to the fight.

    PL
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

    Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

  8. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    47
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Andusciassus View Post
    Dear Inquisition,
    I am a gentle heretic who just bought me a Grey Knight Dreadnought that I intend to paint and sell. Now my question is what weaponry do you preffer on a Dread?
    I somehow have a feeling the Assaultcannon/DCCW is not the most loved version, am I right?

    Please help me and I promise I won't defile it....I do!

    Why choose?

    You're building/painting it to sell anyhow.. a HUGE selling point would be to build them with magnets and interchangable weapons.. So your client can choose whatever suits them?

    -Dragons

  9. #8
    3 Getrudes Frank Fugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Liverpool
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragons View Post
    You're building/painting it to sell anyhow.. a HUGE selling point would be to build them with magnets and interchangable weapons.. So your client can choose whatever suits them?
    You don't need magnets to make Dread weapons interchangeable, aside from the heavy flamer/ Incinerator on the DCCW. Regardless, this is still a good point; including all the weapons will make it far easier to sell and it'll get you a better price.

    Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    And DH armies have a distinct lack of long-range, heavy, anti-armour firepower. There is almost no reason to prefer a DCCW arm to a ML.
    You can put an Incinerator on the DCCW, which is one more fantastic flamer template in the army for not much more points than a ML. If your army is footslogging/ Deep Striking (either because you don't want or can't afford LRs) DCCW Dreads are nice assets to have in support, and best of all they can put a plasma template and an Incinerator template into a squad then charge it.

    For starters, the dread should always be carrying a TLLC. (If we could use the new AssCan stats, an argument could be made in favor of that. But without 4 shots and rending ... no way.)
    Meh. I find the TLLCs on my Land Raider are usually enough to handle the cruddy AV vehicles I normally find myself up against. I'm with you on the point that the GKs have tons of options for kicking down infantry, but a template here and there doesn't hurt.

    A multi-melta is cool, but difficult to employ without drop pod deployment.
    Or a DCCW. Having a DCCW as opposed to a ML makes it more likely your Dread will be moving in support of your infantry, and the more it's moving the more likely it is to get within 12" of something. But yeah; drop podding is the best way to use a multi-melta Dread, anything else is just a bit too fiddly.

    Plasma cannons are essentially anti-infantry, a role already well covered by everytyhing else in the DH/GK arsenal,
    Not from 36" away. The plasma cannon Dreads are a pure GK player's only real option for long-range templates; I use mine a lot and it never disappoints. Then of course there's stuff like War Walker squadrons and light vehicles in general to consider; the plasma cannon is a nice back-up for those.

    and TL autocannons can't touch AV 14 and can only glance AV 13.
    Again though, your autocannons aren't really designed for popping tanks. They're more for bombing down footslogging infantry, and they need to be deployed en masse to even work at that.

    And TL heavy bolters aren't even worth considering.
    For the same price as a plasma cannon you can get a TL heavy bolter and psycannon bolts, which gives your Dread enough shots per turn to take out Kairos Fateweaver from 36" away without allowing him to take a saving throw. Put a holy bolter Dread in your list against a Daemons player and watch his entire army dart into the treeline.

    I just can't see any tactical argument that can be made in favor of the DCCW arm.
    They're good for knocking wounds off Monstrous Creatures, they can tear other walkers to pieces, just keeping one close to a squad will make any units embarked in lightly armoured transports keep their distance... there's a ton of reasons to use a DCCW!

    Quote Originally Posted by image vertification sux View Post
    Face it Lascannons aren't no where near as good as Multi-Meltas in 5th edition. Lascannons are for light transports, not Leman Russes or Battlewagons.
    Depends what your multimelta is mounted on. If it;s a LRC that can carry 8 Termies, move 12" a turn and not only still fire it's multimelta but also let the Termies out to play then yeah, multimelta wins every time. If it's on a Dread then the lascannon is far better, mainly because a multimelta will only glance AV14 from 13"+ away; a lascannon can penetrate it at up to 48".

    Plasma cannon is decent, I haven't used it because i'd rather use an Inquisitor Lord w/Retinue (incl. Plasmacannon)
    Mounting one on a Dread negates the Gets Hot! and also prevents it being taken out with your T3 Lord retinue. A lot of things will take out your T3 Lord retinue.

    Ohyeah and the Heavy Flamer is great pre-charge kick.
    Incinerator's better Incinerator and plasma cannon template is best.

  10. #9
    jy2
    jy2 is offline
    Hive Fleet Pandora jy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    5,068
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    ReputationReputation
    797 (x8)

    For the purpose of selling, paint them all and sell them all (don't glue the arms to the torso though). A dread with a selection of removable, interchangeable arms will probably fetch about 20-33% more than one with fixed arms.

    In terms of game usage, what is the weakness of the Daemonhunters? If you're playing Grey Knights, probably almost everyone here would agree that its numbers and anti-tank. With that in mind, would you want to configure your dread as more anti-tank or anti-infantry?

    Aside from the Land Raiders, the Daemonhunters don't have anything really to deal with Leman Russes, Defilers, and other more heavily armored tanks. Also, the Grey Knights are already better than probably 75% of all other troop choices out there in terms of assaulting/shooting infantry.

    So in terms of what type of Dread I get, I always get one with TL-Lascannons (unless I know I'm going up against armies with light vehicles, in which case I get TL-Autocannons). And I usually throw in the Missile Launcher for added insurance. Multi-meltas, while good, are very limited in range...only 12" to be truly effective. Plasma cannons, while awesome against infantry, is consistently inconsistent against vehicles and limited to lightly armored ones at best.

    If you play a 'water style', the TL-Lascannon is the most flexible in terms of anti-tank. It lets your knights stay back and fire or rush up to assault. With the Multi-melta, basically you have to rush up towards the enemy.

  11. #10
    Senior Member image vertification sux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    England
    Age
    35
    Posts
    438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    19 (x1)

    Mounting one on a Dread negates the Gets Hot! and also prevents it being taken out with your T3 Lord retinue. A lot of things will take out your T3 Lord retinue.
    Incinerator's better Incinerator and plasma cannon template is best.
    yeah, but with henchmen your not losing your PC. a 4+ cover is great. you can also re-roll the scatter and/or overheat. a dreadnought can die in 1 shot.
    I might write like a ork but i fight like a poet.
    Some one tell me they have ever seen a nightbringer die from a Nemesis Force Weapon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts