Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Good *early* morning,
I have been thinking, that I need a change of pace.
Breaking away from the "I can't deal with all these vehicles", I would like to make a rapid force.
I was thinking of starting a White Scars force, and have a few questions...
1. I would like to include bikers/ attack bikes/ and scout bikers. Is there a ratio I need to achieve? I need the two troop choices, but how many attack bikes/scout bikes should I take?
2. Looking to add tanks to the list. I would like to know, would White Scars use whirlwinds and vindicares?
3. Should I spend the points on a command squad?
4. What special weapons, should be given to bikers, or should I relay on the multi-melta of the attack bike?
5. Should I take land speeders? I think they will be fast enough "fluff" wise.
6. If I take rhinos, how many rhino troops compared to bikers?
7. Does my character selection matter, or are certain characters better for a rapid force?
8. I don't want any drop pods, so is that ok?
Thank you in advance, for your time.
I've been playing the white scars for 3 version now and its a blast to field lightnin fast army that is still very flexable. I've played a dozen or so games with the new list and I thinks its musch better than the last edition list. I'll take your questions one at a time and hopefully it'll be helpfull.
1. There is no "ratio" of bikes but to make it feel like a White Scar army I'd bring at least 2 unites, I bring 3 or 4. I include the attack bikes with multi-meltas in the bike squads 90% of the time and bring 3, one unit of Scout Bikes is useful as a support unit.
2. The white scar fluff says that they have upgraded their tanks to be able to keep up with their hit and run style of combat. I personally like the vindicator but only in a army with Kor'Sorro Khan so it can outflank, because it can't be shot at for 2 or more turns as you get it in firing range.
3. The Command Suad is good but one thing to keep in mind is bikes aren't as hard to kill as one would think and the comand squad is a lot of points if on bikes. I personaly don't use them but go ahead and play test it and see what you like.
4.Melta weapons in the bike squads is a great opion. You already have the long range bolters and the meltas give you the ability to take down tanks, monsters, terminators...the list goes on and on. Plasma guns are good too but if you melt one of your bikes you just killed 40 of your own points, but the rapid fire and AP 2 is good at all the above but 14 armor tanks.
5.Land speeders are great fire support, I use 3 tornados for the 9 heavy bolter shot and 12 assault cannon shots.
6. the rhinos to bike is completly up to you, I'd use no more Rhinos than bike squads. One great thing abou the rhinos is they shield bike very well.
7. You have to run a comander on a bike or Kor'Sorro to run the bikes as troops and after that I think that the librarians are a good choice.
8. The drop pods in or out of the list doesn't realy matter, as fluff goes there not a must but do get the marines in fast.
I hope thats usefull. Keep use posted.
---------- Post added at 05:29 ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 ----------
you'll have to over look the brither...that should be brother...no harm done right?
Okay first off.. @girlhunter and Ravadge:
Khan does -not- give outflanking to vindicators and land speeders, and thus said units won't be allowed to outflank.. only units with combat tactics benefit from Khans chapter tactics, and their dedicated transports of course if they happen to have such..
then as to the point of this thread:
1. In a bike heavy army I wouldn't include attack bike squadrons.. I'd take squadrons of '10' with either some flamers or meltaguns in the squads and split them so that the attack bike with MM goes with the meltagun guys and the flamers go with sergeant.. a couple of those units makes a good basis for scoring units as you'll most certainly want to get a biked captain or Kor'sarro on Moondrakkan. A single unit of scout bikers supplement the list well I guess.. their strength the way I see it though is mostly their scout ability and their locator beacon could be useful aswell.. you'd not really be needing either so maybe take another standard bike squad instead.. doesn't matter too much the way I see it.. if you fancy them, take them!
2. I guess fluffwise they use both.. not really into white scars fluff though.. so don't bitch me up about it.. gaming wise 2~3 Vindicators would really do well for the list.. keep in mind that they cannot outflank however..
3. If you have enough other bikes I guess it would reduce some of the amount of pain the command squad would be exposed to otherwise.. they'r a bit expensive, but can really pack a punch aswell.. some flamers and if you take Kor'sarro hit'n'run and keep flaming away and furious charging.. the only kind of bike squad that can be considered in an assault.. others won't really last I think..
4. As said above I'd use flamers and meltaguns in the squadrons.. Plasmaguns could go, but not severely needed imho.. not if you take vindicators that is..
5. Up to you really.. noone's gonna tell you that you 'must' or that you musn't', if you like them do so, they compliment an otherwise all bikers army well I guess..
6. Nothing's wrong with taking Rhinos either way.. if you include any squad that would otherwise be walking, sure I'd take a Rhino.. they can screen bikers as mentioned above
7. Well you'll of course need either Kor'sarro Khan or a standard captain on bike, if it's meant as a question between those two I'd say it depends on your list, Kor'sarro is always nice, his bike is a bit expensive though.. If you take a CC-oriented command squad he amplifies their killiness alot. If you do not take such command squad and you opt to field vindicators, scout bikers, land speeders and other stuff you won't/can't outflank you might be better off saving a few points on Kor'sarro and get a plain captain instead.. Again up to you..
If you meant what other HQ you would be adding aside from your captain/Khan.. then a Librarian as the others suggested might work well.. Consider though whether you need a sceond HQ.. I think I wouldn't.. Maybe I'd go a captain on a bike and Kor'sarro along with some CC-troops in a transport.. Dunno =) again up to you.. weee
8. Of course that is okay.. I guess I wouldn't either for such an army
Thank you for the replies, so far.
The reason I asked about rhinos, is that I was thinking of taking units of tactical and/or devastators.
I am quite unsure as to wether they will benfit the force or not.