The Return of the Fall of Ratlings? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

The Return of the Fall of Ratlings?

It seems when 5th edition came around everybody was including these space hobbits in their lists. Now that our own 5th edition codex comes out it seems everybody has forgotten about this dedicated sniper unit and they will once again return to oblivion.

Is this because everybody is caught up with all the other new toys? or was the return of the ratlings a fad that has faded? Or is it because now we can now get snipers in just about any other infantry squad now?

Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's because of bring it down. Ratlings were primarily used as MC killers by a lot of people, and now bring it down can do it better. It's still nice for rending things, but then we've got Medusas for AP2 busting and Colossus for AP3 killing. I imagine they'd be good for pinning paired with weaken resolve, but a mortar squad is pretty cheap and can camp the home objective. And since now they lost their rule where they can pin themselves to avoid a morale check, and we lost LD bubbles for the most part, they're painfully easy to make run.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I say new toy syndrome. Anybody who wants snipers is going to bring Ratlings. The sniper rifle option in infantry or SW squads isn't nearly as effective a unit as ye olde Ratmen, so they're still quite viable, especially for MC killing. Our templates can would them more reliably but it takes a lot of them to mark off four or five wounds.

On the other hand, infantry snipers are scoring. On the other other hand, that gets to be a lot of kill points. Hmm. Decisions.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    I say new toy syndrome. Anybody who wants snipers is going to bring Ratlings. The sniper rifle option in infantry or SW squads isn't nearly as effective a unit as ye olde Ratmen, so they're still quite viable, especially for MC killing. Our templates can would them more reliably but it takes a lot of them to mark off four or five wounds.

On the other hand, infantry snipers are scoring. On the other other hand, that gets to be a lot of kill points. Hmm. Decisions.
    You also forget two key points that make Ratlings better than sniper SWS.

The Ratlings can Infiltrate, while the SWS can not, giving them better sniping positions. To go hand in hand with this, Ratlings have Stealth, meaning that if you infiltrate them into a building or other terrain, they are packing a very nice save in cover to give them more survivability, and again, the SWS has no such option.

In the end, it will all come down to preference. Myself, I will be taking a couple of teams of Ratlings for their better BS and ability to remain relatively safe while on their own, while others may prefer SWS so they can sit on an objective and snipe away.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Personally I like a vet unit with camo cloaks and 3 snipers/heavy bolter or autocannon sitting on the objective. gives them a nice cover save and their scoring while still being very accurate, but you'll lose out on the amount of sniping shots.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MadLarkin View Post
    Personally I like a vet unit with camo cloaks and 3 snipers/heavy bolter or autocannon sitting on the objective. gives them a nice cover save and their scoring while still being very accurate, but you'll lose out on the amount of sniping shots.
    This is true, and also why I would love to pay for a dedicated sniper unit to deal with enemies rather than take vets and abuse that could be utilized to better fit other roles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

208 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by jh316 View Post
    It's because of bring it down.
    You can always tell your rats to bring it down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Kahoolin View Post
    You can always tell your rats to bring it down.
    Not horribly reliable with them only having leadership 6. Plus Ratling accuracy isn't that bad to start with.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything else got better, Ratlings stayed the same and so got "worse".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to include a unit of counts-as Ratlings since I hate the models but like the idea of snipers. Forming squads of snipers seems counter-intuitive but it is 40k after all.
    "But courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity..."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast