Legion of the... useful? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Legion of the... useful?

How are the Legion of the Damned useful? Are they even worth the huge amount of points you need to invest to take them? I was considering using a squad for flair and such, but I want to know how to use them.

Thanks in advance =D

I am that i am not.
    "You sick tentacle fetishist puppy." - Ironweevil

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Useful? Sure. But the main issue is that LotD squads fight for a precious Elite slot in the force organization chart. And space marines have quite a few good Elite choices.

Slow and Purposeful means that you most definitely want to shell points out for the heavy weapon, so they can bang out as much firepower as they can when the deep strike in. Whatever heavy weapon you choose, I would pick a special weapon that compliments it (IE. Multi-Melta + Meltagun or Heavy Bolter + Flamer etc).

This gets really expensive, seeing as how you pay an arm and a leg for those weapons.

My advice? Use Sternguard. A naked Sternguard squad with a drop pod is cheaper than a naked LotD squad and the gap only gets wider as you equip both squads with combi-weapons for the Sternies and Heavy/Special weapons for the LotD.

Are the LotD cool and fluffy? Totally. Are they effective? They're as effective as most tactical squads are, but are just so expensive.

It's all a matter of choice; fluffy and unique flair or efficiency? I lean towards efficiency, since I happen to dislike the idea of Marines needing to be saved by Damned Legionnaires. They're marines; trained to fight until the bitter end.

Squirrel_Fish

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Depends on who you play against. There's a lot of good elite choices for Marines. Sternguards, for example, are more efficient, flexible and cheaper also. I would only use LotD against armies with a lot of power weapon attacks or high AP weaponry, but that is only if I know I'd be going up against them. Otherwise, I'd much rather get Sternguards or Terminators.

Armies you might consider them for: terminator-heavy armies, nidzilla armies, Khorne daemons, banshee eldars, Thousand Sons armies, and maybe Dark Eldars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are they good agaist Tau.

Ok then are they good agaisst assult armies or shooty armies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

LotD will shrug off low AP weapons that people run against marines a lot. A squad of 8 or so with plasma gun and plasma cannon can drop in and start lighting things up, all the while shrugging off most heavy fire. The problem is, they die as easily as normal marines to basic attacks, so they're easy to counter.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LotD have an awesome use, if you have the smarts.

Take LotD w/ minimum squad. Multi-melta & melta-gun or as ==he== suggested plasmagun and cannon except I'd hate to lose a thirty point model on a 1 and then 2.

Take Librarian in Termie Armor w/ Epistolary upgrade and the powers Vortex & Gate of Infinity.

Ta-DA!

You can teleport around, rerolling to scatter, firing all your guns, slow and purposeful is negated by teleporting around, and if you roll double on scatter the LotD have Invulns. If vortex lands on your head, everybody has invulns.

This squad can deal a lot damage for it's points and it's quite fast. Too bad like GK termies it's damn expensive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

They can be very useful, but they can be replaced with, say, a unit of sternguards with a drop pod that essentially fulfils the same battlefield role and is cheaper. They're mainly good against armies with lots of low-AP weapons like Chaos armies with lots of plasma weapons which could tear a sternguard unit to pieces without much difficulty.

DiW

+ Reply to Thread