Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hi everyone, i currently have been getting stomped by my brothers Khorne army. We have been playing on the 1,000 point lvl and ive been using a halfway themed sallie army, not 100% fluff based only because i havent had the money to invest in more models, so this is what i have so far at 1k points. By the way most models are from the AOBR set, and cannot be customized.
HQ, Master W/ pair of Lighting claws
Elite, 5 assault terminators, all with T.Hammer and S.Shields
Dread with Multi-Melta and ccw/storm bolter
Drop pod w/ deathwind launcher
Troop, 10man Tac
1 missle launcher
serg with ccw and bolt pistol
1 missle launcher
serg with ccw and bolt pistol
4 W/ sniper
1 W/ M.Launcher
This list leaves me at 58poins short of 1k
I know the tac squads probably are not the most effective given the weapon combinations but thats all i have for now. I plan on droping the M.Launchers in both tac squads for a Multi-Melta, dropping the master for Vulkan, and dropping the dread for Thunder fire cannon, this would leave me with just enough points to fit in an All Las pred at right around 1kpts. But until then this will have to do.
And he has, 3squads of 8zerkers, all mounted in rhinos. in one squad he has Kharn, and on top of that he has a Las pred to scare me with, as if the zerkers wernt scary enough.
So my typical tactics include having the master run with the termies, and throwing them into the nearest rhino, or squad of zerkers, praying the dread will drop on turn 2 and putting him behind a rhino to take that one out, my tac squads then just stay put and hope i kill a few before they get up to me,(which they always do), the snipers try to potshot them when the poke their heads from the safety of their rhino, while the M.L scout will usually take one out. I cant hold them off long enough and when then get to me,they always seem to get the charge. its devistating.
So any help would be great, tactic wise, and also will the changes to my army that i plan on making soon help out? I think once i get Vulkan in their the army will be much more viable, especially with the terminators, but i dont know and thats why ive come to you guys for help.
Thanks in advance
I highly recommend that you Combat Squad, setting up half the Tac Squads as a "picket line". While these very slightly forward units will likely die, it allows you to counter-charge with the assault terminators. The remainder of your Tacs can also then dump fire into the consolidated Zerkers, or counter-charge as well if you have ongoing combats.
For the Zerkers to be effective, they need to run toward you all willy-nilly to start combat. Use this to your advantage.
Last edited by psichotykwyrm; May 2nd, 2009 at 00:40. Reason: spelling
"It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes
You need rhinos for your tact squads. This will give them protection from the zerk rushes.
Also, your dread will drop on turn 1 since you only have 1 Drop Pod so you don't need to pray for him to come. Use him to take out the Pred.
Also, consider getting lascannons for your tact squad or a razorback as a backup in case your Dread does not take out the Pred.
Finally, you should consider Telion for your scouts. Great for picking out that power fist/weapon berzerker.
The easiest thing to do would be to mount your Tactical Squads in Rhinos and throw a Land Raider with a pintle multimelta into your list as a dedicated transport for Vulkan and your Termies. With PotMS it won't be too difficult to get your Raider within 12" of the Pred quickly, allowing you to melta it to death while your Rhinos concentrate on staying clear of the Zerkers. Once the Predator's gone turn the Raider's lascannons on the Zerkers' Rhinos, then just hop your Tactical Squads out and template them to death with the missile launchers and drop Vulkan's blokies onto Kharn.
If you'd rather not mechanise the best suggestion I can make is shove as many missile launchers as possible into the list, and drop the Dread-Pod for a Devastator Squad. With an army that's mostly infantry the Predator isn't a massive concern (it's only got 3 shots per turn) so just concentrate on killing the Rhinos and templating any Zerkers as they come out. He has no template weapons so bunching your squads together and keeping the Termies close by would be an idea, that way any Zerkers who do get through will end up fighting your entire army with your Termies ready to put in a counter-charge.
Last suggestion would be to take Grey Knights or Grey Knight Terminators. GKTs eat Zerkers for breakfast, and regular Grey Knights aren't too shabby either. Use them to hop forward and take the Furious Charge if it looks like you won't be able to stop the Zerkers getting to your lines, then counter-charge with your regular Smurfs.
For your current force....
1. I'm not a huge fan, on using DPs in small forces. If you still want to keep it, DS as close to the pred as you can. Starting the battle, with the dread on the board, will help you pop those rhinos along with the MLs. I would also, personally thinking, DS those termies.
2. As already suggested, split your tac squads into two combat squads. One 5man with flamer, then other 5man with the ML. Your MLs will now fire seperately, with your MM dread, easily popping the rhinos/Pred.
3. Your two 5 man squads with flamer, and your captain, should be held back at your line. If anything gets close, you can charge them.
4. Never was thrilled with LCs, as a power weapon and plasma pistol are far more useful. Artificer armor doesn't do much good, for the points, as there are so many weapons being able to punch through AP2.
5. Give your scout squad the HB, instead of the ML. Those hellfire shells do wonders, and will even bring down Kharn.
6. Speaking of Kharn, he dies like everyone else. Fire on his squad first ( if you can ), popping the rhino he is in, then shoot his squad into piecemeal. Make sure you are using your krak missiles, frag is worthless against CSMs.
In future improvements...
1. Vulkan will really boost your force, as you load up on flamer/melta weapons and thunder hammer. If you really want to be nasty, bring along allied Sisters as their flamer/melta weapons will be affected too.
2. Your 10man tac squads, should have a flamer/MM or a MG/MM, and purchase razorbacks. The 5man combat squad with MM, will hang back as fire support. The 5man with flamer/meltagun, will go hunting within the razorback. If you can spare the points, give the sergeants either a PW or PF depending if the squad is hunting troops or vehicles. If you are against "horde" forces, keep your tac squads at 10 models.
3. Termie squads squad always DS, unless you bring a LR. Assault termies should always have a mix of LCs/TH&shield, carried best withing a LR type. The normal termie squad, taking 2 HFs to benefit from Vulkan, should always DS.
4. You can use your DP for a unit of sternguard, with combi-meltas and their "magical" ammo, and drop them into the perfect firing position.
5. The thunderfire cannon is ok, as its made to hinder instead of kill. Unless you are facing those weak eldar/tau. Its "blast" will really mess up those willy-nilly zerkers, once you pop their rhinos ;P
6. Bring dreads in pairs. With your dread from AoBR, you can bring one with ML/TWLs.
7. Don't forget the tanks. The vindicator, whirlwind, and Predator or deadly in their own rights. I'd stay away from a las pred, being that they are stupidly exspensive. Give a pred HB or Las sponsons, depending on its role.
Truely, there is more tips I can give you, but its getting late and I'm dead-tired.
I hope this helped a little.
I would put power weapons or fists into your tac squads, the conversion shouldn't be too hard, for power weapons carefully cut out the chainsword and replace with a normal sword (or you could say they have powered "teeth"), or you could get a spare arm with the sword and drill a hole that way you can make a swap whenever you need.
For the fist, make friends with an eldar player who has a wraithlord. Wraithlords come with extra hands, cut off the hand that's pointing (i did half way through the forearm) and replace it the wraithlord hand. there's even one that points to get the same effect of him commanding the troops.
Most Notable Achievements:
Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.
wow thanks everyone for the quick and thoughtful responses, so i went ahead and split the 2 tac squads into combat squads, and also made the conversion to pwr wpns on both tac sergents. He took the bait with small combat squad looking like an easy target, not realizing i had my termies and HQ ready for the counter charge so far ive played him two additional times using all the advice given by you guys and have done much much better and even won both games, so thanks for all of your help, i'm curretly trying to come up with a 1k list that includes Vulkan, and am considering getting either razorbacks or rhinos for the squads, I'll post the finished list here when it is complete.
All with TH and SS
flamer,multi-melta and a rhino
flamer,multi-melta and a rhino
hows that look so far? still need 200pts tto hit the 1k mark, any ideas?
1. Will you be using your tact squads as combat squads? If so, I'd take razorbacks instead of rhinos. The flamer squad, goes hunting in the razorback, while the MM squad create supporting fire. Likewise, rhinos placed near your squads, makes for good protection against incoming fire.
2. I'm not a big fan of assault termies, but you could DS yours into the fray. Maybe drop a rhino, in favor of a dread with a DP. The DP ( with beacon ), hits the battlefield so your termies don't scatter...
3. You could prob squeeze in both a FA and HS choice. A Pred would be good, and maybe a speeder?
Just my two bolter shells.
PS- I'll think about your list some more...