Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I admit, I underestimated the Dark Eldar. I played 1 game against them and conceded by turn 5. They had almost completely wiped out my entire army from the board, and he still had about half of his around and almost all the objectives. I played the Grey Knights.
Next time around, I will be using my space marines against him. His army, with his puny S3 T3 5+ guys, is formidable indeed, especially against us MEQ's. Wondering if anyone had some encounters with them and how did you deal with them. Thanks.
Many people do underestimate DE. You're not the first by a long way. It depends how he plays and what units he has. Did he have a predominantly shooty army, or cc orientated? Do you know what units he was using?
http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!
Last time I played against him, this is approximately what he had:
Archon w/incubi retinue
Homuenculi special character w/Grotesques
3 wych squads on raiders
3 warriors squads w/dark lances
2 ravagers w/disintergrators
Hit his transports, his units are nothing when left out in the open in front of a gun line. Don't bother with trying to out speed him, just negate his speed.
His wytches raiders and his ravengers should be #1 priority, then anything else that's fast he brings, maybe not the talos though, it's fairly hard to kill. After you've got his trnasports gone he should be much easier prey.
IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11
Playing Dark Eldar, I'll try to help you out.
1. You don't want his retinue to hit CC. Ever. Kill the raider if you can, then shoot it down. If it has to, try to put something you can afford to lose into CC, or a dreadnought. That kind of retinue eats terminators for breakfast.
2. Grotesques are immune to anything under S6 in terms of ranged firepower. You are better off engaging them in CC with terminators/some other specialized CC unit, or shooting them down with assault cannons. That special character autowounds, but you should get armor saves from his attacks.
3. Wytche squads are paper thin, shoot them down fast, and don't let them get into CC with you.
4. Warrior squads have no durability, or real CC power, a single unit of marines can probably either outshoot, out CC, or both a single squad of warriors. Keep your vehicles as far away as possible.
5. Ravagers: Here's where your vehicles come in handy. Any anti-tank weapon will rip them out of the sky easily, and you have weapons to outrange his. The only problem is that he has more maneuverability.
6. Talos: Slow, hard hitting in CC, but unpredictable. You can probably just avoid it.
Moral of the story: The harder you hit his mobility, the more you can wrest the initiative back from him, the better off you will be. All of the above things are hard when your opponent has more speed, so the idea is to negate that ASAP.