I love Orders! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I love Orders!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Orders!

They are awesome!

Of course, for me they are great on paper as I have yet to enact them in battle.

But they really advance the Guard and resolve a lot about the army that has been bothering me over the past 5 years or so since the last codex.

The Get Back in the Fight order is awesome as it allows us to think more about the enemy and tactics rather than where to hide. Being able to regroup and get up after going to ground without penalty is priceless. It's kind of like a distant substitute - but better - to the costly Carapace Doctrine, giving us decent 4+ protection when in the open (go to ground) and then allowing us to rally and receive no penalties for taking this action (obeying the command).

Incoming! goes a step further and allows us to add a 2+ bonus (3+ cover save) which is invaluable for open ground land grab & hold missions. I used to dread playing against opponents because I was concerned with where to hide rather than strategy. I mean, hiding was almost like a HUGE part of my placement strategy/woes.

Only issue with orders is the tight command bubble that voxes aid with but don't necessarily resolve.

First Rank Fire is awesome in that it almost replaces the Sharp Shooters Doctrine in so far as we can now add more shots to our volleys, in effect getting us a better kill ratio. Fire on My Target is similar in this respect.

Overall, I'd say that with successful order giving - as yet to be seen with rolls - the Guard has been effectively 'refurbished' and possibly even 'revolutionized'.

We are still the footslogging 'Hammer of the Emperor' force, but more refined and with more attention to tactics and strategy than before.

Very nice!

Peace.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only issue with orders is the tight command bubble that voxes aid with but don't necessarily resolve.
    How? The voxes only allow you to re-roll failed leadership results, not expand the officer's range. Am I right, or have I misread?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsheim242 View Post
    The Get Back in the Fight order is awesome as it allows us to think more about the enemy and tactics rather than where to hide. Being able to regroup and get up after going to ground without penalty is priceless. It's kind of like a distant substitute - but better - to the costly Carapace Doctrine, giving us decent 4+ protection when in the open (go to ground) and then allowing us to rally and receive no penalties for taking this action (obeying the command).
    Orders are giving during the shooting phase, so this tactic is effective only if you do not want to move the unit. Thankfully it does not count as a move to recover and can shoot as you did not move.

Incoming! goes a step further and allows us to add a 2+ bonus (3+ cover save) which is invaluable for open ground land grab & hold missions. I used to dread playing against opponents because I was concerned with where to hide rather than strategy. I mean, hiding was almost like a HUGE part of my placement strategy/woes.
    Out in the open Guardsmen would have 5+ armor, 5+ cover not 3+ cover.

Vox's only allow re-roll of the failed leadership to receive and order. It has nothing to do with range of commands, and there is no longer a "command bubble" in 5th edition.
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the corrections on some of my statements.

What I meant about voxes is exactly what you stated. I wasn't implying that they convey leadership - as they never did. That's kinda what I meant.

As for LD bubbles, I was under the impression that when the rules state, " a company commander has a leadership radius of 12"", that means a LD bubble. Is this a misinterpretation on my part? (example p.30 codex)

As I read Incoming!, when you normally go to ground, you get a +1 cover. If you have a 5+ AS, that makes a 4+ save. If you get a 2+ bonus to cover, that means 5+ with the 2+ bonus = 3+. Did I misinterpret this too? Rule reads: "The ordered unit receives +2 to it's cover save, rather than the normal bonus.

So, if commanders and lord commissars, etc. have command ranges, what would they be called if not command bubbles?

Just curious - want to make sure I'm on same page.

Peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

As for LD bubbles, I was under the impression that when the rules state, " a company commander has a leadership radius of 12"", that means a LD bubble. Is this a misinterpretation on my part? (example p.30 codex)
    The commander may issue orders within that radius, but does not confer his ld like he did in the previous codex

As I read Incoming!, when you normally go to ground, you get a +1 cover. If you have a 5+ AS, that makes a 4+ save. If you get a 2+ bonus to cover, that means 5+ with the 2+ bonus = 3+. Did I misinterpret this too? Rule reads: "The ordered unit receives +2 to it's cover save, rather than the normal bonus.
    This is completely incorrect. you are confusing armor and cover saves, the two are not the same or linked in any way. Getting +2 to your cover save in the open i.e. not receiving any noramlly, will make your cover 5+. If you have a 4+ cover save, it makes it a 2+. Either way, your armor makes no difference.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

regarding LD bubbles: AAAaaaaahhhhh! I get it. Dumb rookie mistake. thx.

now onto incoming! and going to ground. Just so that I'm clear, because now I'm totally confused, when you are in the open and go to ground, what happens to your cover save? Anything?

When you give the order for incoming!, what exactly happens if you are in the open?

These are rookie questions, but I simply might have misread them. I was always under the impression -even from gaming at my local store - that the going to ground confers a bonus to your save and ACTS like a cover save. Was I wrong about this? In other words, if there are no structures to hide in, going to ground would be like a 4+ cover save for us. That's how we played it at my shop. Now, if you go to ground using the incoming! rule, wouldn't that change the cover save.

I know the difference between cover saves and armor saves, I just understood going to ground as an impromptu piece of cover - foxhole, dugout, etc.

Please help me clear this up!

Many thanks!

Peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Normally GTG adds +1, so if you're in an average piece of cover granting a 4+ save, this goes up to a 3+ (or down if you want to be technical). If you are completely in the open and recieving no cover save, you get a 6+.

If you use incoming while in the same average piece of 4+ cover, you get a 2+, in the open with no cover a 5+.

I'm using a 4+ as the baseline because virtually everything in this edition gives you a 4+.

Alles Klar?
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mastershake View Post
    Normally GTG adds +1, so if you're in an average piece of cover granting a 4+ save, this goes up to a 3+ (or down if you want to be technical). If you are completely in the open and recieving no cover save, you get a 6+.

If you use incoming while in the same average piece of 4+ cover, you get a 2+, in the open with no cover a 5+.

I'm using a 4+ as the baseline because virtually everything in this edition gives you a 4+.

Alles Klar?
    Thank you! I misread the rules.

Peace.

+ Reply to Thread