Bodyguards. Worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Bodyguards. Worth it?

I look at the entry for Bodyguards and it looks to me that essentially I can give my commander two more wounds. Is it more complex than that? Am I missing something? It seems like a pretty cheap way to upgrade a character...

Once a Marine, always a Marine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x1)

No, it's not more complex, that's what they do, but I wouldn't call 30 points for 2 wounds cheap. If you're worried about the CCS dying than use those 30 points on Camo-Cloaks or a Medic; Stealth or Feel No Pain are both infinitely better than 2 ablative wounds, or, put them in a Chimera, or, hide them in cover. Bodyguards are a definite no-go for me.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; May 4th, 2009 at 23:40.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

I hadn't realized the medi-kit now gives FNP. AWESOME!!
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

To answer your question - no, they are completely not worth it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

If they were their current point cost but had 2 wounds and eternal warrior they'd be worth it, maybe 20 points but as they are now? No they're not worth it.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

inquisitors can get the same deal for much much cheaper, and can get 3 of them instead of only 2. so ya, pointless codex entry
    "In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king"
    "Pray to the emperor, but keep rowing to the shore!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

If your army needs the HQ for something and it isn't in a transport, I'd say ablative wounds can be very beneficial as keeping units out of LoS is often not possible or highly problematic.

With that being said, all you really need your HQ for is a pair of orders or maybe messing with your opponent's reserves and if it is critical in the army, they'll have to pried out of their Chimera with a crowbar, so...
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

I Like them The wound allocation - and the new importance of your regimental command squad (12" range and 2x orders) makes one worth it IMHO. with powerfists being so cheap there is no excuse for not giving the commander one, and they're better in melee than your average guardsman (4 attacks on the charge and a better WS)

It's wound allocation that I like:
    You take two wounds which you can't save against (or will cause instant death by being S6.) your poor bodyguard takes one, and the commander the other. "look out sir!" one dead bodyguard, and a commander who gets on with commanding stuff.

This will be particulary usefull vs powerfists/claws too, and means you lose the combat by one less.

My regimental HQ's are stuffed into chimeras, and i'm going for the close quaters equipment on them, as when removed from the transport and threatened (use it's wreck as cover if opponent not close) it's likely they'll be close to the enemy anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

IMO, if you choose to take Straken then the body guards are a no brainer.
    Those two wounds will not only help to keep Straken around, but they will also contribute to the number of attacks that will benefit from Furious Charge and Counter Attack.

This is only one use for them, and I think that as we get more familiar and more creative with the codex, we will find further ways to use our... not so popular units.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

I say yes they are worth it, its why I have 2, plus they give me more men in my squad and modeling opportunities, and the opportunity to write fluff for them.

plus I hate when people just label something as "not worth it" without a second thought, so I use them to really annoy people cus some people really do get annoyed when you use something they label as useless, so its fun to P them off and laugh at them for being pathetic

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast