Let's talk Lascannons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Let's talk Lascannons

In our glorious new Codex we have been given a variety of ways to field heavy weaponry. I want to focus on the Lascannon and explore the most effective methods of deploying this weapon to the field. Close-range anti-armour is wonderfully handled by Meltaguns, but when you need long range support the Lascannon is an excellent choice. So how can we use them?

Vendetta: It's a fast skimmer and so will benefit from cover save if moved far enough. It can transport up to 12 models and has a mediocre AV. Carries 3 twin-linked lascannons. Can outflank.

Sentinel Squadron: Can be made regular or armoured to the same extent as a Vendetta. Three seperate models for hit allocation but will suffer if Immobilised is rolled. If Fast Attack slots are open, could take three seperately. Will only hit 50% of the time, but can split fire if seperate. Can outflank or operate as counter assault support.

Heavy Weapon Squad: Again, three Lascannons. The cheapest option, but most fragile. Has six wounds but is extremely vulnerable to assault, instant death and morale checks. Only option which cannot move and fire. Can increase survivability significantly by embarking a Chimera, but cannot start the game in one and will waste a turn getting there.

Personally, I see no reason to take a HWS when Sentinels and Vendettas are so readily available. If anyone could offer something tips on what I'm missing then go for it, but I doubt we'll be seeing many HWS' at all. On paper, the Vendetta looks most effective. Twin-linked is a nice touch; you simply get more bang for your buck.

How do you (or are you planning to) use Lascannons? Do you eschew them altogether in favour of more hard-hitting antitank like Meltagun squads in Chimeras?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

HWS are OK for their points. Plus the fact that they're the only unit you mentioned that can take objectives still has to count for something I feel.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wel hws are ok and can benefit from cover if u want them to. However for the points cost its probably better to take a vendetta (or 3 vendettas if your mad/have alot of spare points). you should use lascannons to take on tanks or super heavy infantry (2+sv models). If ur hws squad starts to move back just use the order get back in the fight on them plain and simple.

Sentinels are slightly more effective then a hws but they can be beaten by the standard bolter (unless its armored) like the hws.

ALso although meltaguns are better for tanks, they are like most weapons useless against necron monoliths with lascannons having a slight if that better chance of destroying a monolith.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

I'm taking HWS with lascannons, that is because my FA slots are already taken up with Rough Riders, Scout sentinels and a hellhound.
    Finally getting round to finshing my Tallarn Imperial Guard Army (2K)
    Everything else has been sacrificed on the Altar of eBay...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

1 - Vendetta:

a) Twin-linke means 50% more accuracy than HWS or Sentinels, thats good cost efficience.

b) Fast and skimmer rules, make it a good choice for snatch victory on the last turn by contest control of an objetive.

2 - Scout Sentinels w/ LCs are expensive for open-toped with minimun AV.

3 - Armoured Sentinels w/ LCs are ridicule expensive.

In my style of play, Vendettas are the main Anti-tank unit, I put meltaguns in Chimeras only as a backup.
    "The only valid test is combat; the only valid result is victory"
    Ardak Kumerian, Klingon Admiral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

I'm gonna have 2 10 man units with a lascannon and plasma gun in each, that'll do me, I have a whole flanking platoon with Meltaguns just in case

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Also remember that the HWS is the easiest on gamers with a budjet, and it wont be as much of a target and so is likely to last longer.

Ex: Vandetta outflanks with 3 twin linked lascannons while your lascanon HWS isshooting enemy tanks on their rear armour, who is your opponent shooting first? So the vandet may be more accurate but the HWS will probobly fire more shots.

Also in my last game i played the HWS did very well, for example:
    A squad of 5 termies lands neear them, shoots an infantry squad the lascan HWS kills 2 with lascannons. The 3 termies double charge the lascan HWS (in cover) and a russ. The HWS attacks first and kills 2 more termies with their 6 attacks. Sadly though the remaining termie kills the russ...But the lascannons did their job!

Hell in that game they also immmobilised a dread and shook it 2 turns in a row, killed 2 other termies, and stunned a drop pod.
    Last edited by kevin vanrooyen; May 6th, 2009 at 13:07.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Although the only lascannons you will ever see in my army will be mounted on sentinels, heavy weapon squads do have two things going for them (other than cheap price)

First: Orders!
    With heavy weapon teams, the shots (vs vehicles and monstrous creatures) can be twinlinked,
    or they can force a re-roll of cover saves (useful for those big targets smashing their way towards you through forests and buildings).

They are also scoring units.

All in all, I wouldn't write them off automatically. Although, given their suvivability, and the fact that all but the mortar teams must be in the line of fire to operate, doesn't make them incredibly appealing to me.

Mortar teams though - Wow!
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I cant arge with the budget point, maybe the real reason why I still dont try full Air Cavalry is because the huge investment in models.

The problem with Orders is that 42% of the time the HWS fail the order test. For warrant that it work more of 58% of the time, we need to expend extra points, that mess the cost efficience ratio. Also that orders are limited to the HQs and the CCS have limited number of orders per turn. With out further expenditure, up to 2 HWS w/ LCs at 12" of a CCS can benefit of +50% accuracy, 58% of the time.
    "The only valid test is combat; the only valid result is victory"
    Ardak Kumerian, Klingon Admiral.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is difficult because the whole point of Heavy Weapons Squads is that they allow you to concentrate firpower on your target, thus cancelling out some of the inaccuracy. However, its still dicey business to pay so many points for such an easily disrupted unit. It is my opinion that HWS's are best put to effect with horde killing or light transport popping weapons, reason being that you have some redundancy as far as hordes are concerned since you should have a few lasguns on the table. Autocannons and missile launchers do a pretty good job of both. When it comes down to it, I think HWS's are best when they are one of several layers. Like your Vendetta is the primary, vets in a chimera with meltas are secondary, and the whole time your HWS is trying to bring it down from afar.

That's not to say there aren't advantages to fielding a 3 LC HWS. Short of maybe a vet squad loaded with meltas, there isn't much else that can bring as much anti-tank firepower onto the table. If you find that you really have to bring down that Monolith, or that Land Raider Crusader is looking like its about to charge straight up the table and loose a bunch of termies into your line, then there is something reassuring about having the hardest hitting anti-tank weapon a Guardsman can carry in your force.
    Last edited by SimSnow; May 6th, 2009 at 16:31.
    Formerly known as SimulatedSnowman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast