How do you use Vultures and Thunderbolts in the new codex? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

How do you use Vultures and Thunderbolts in the new codex?

The title prety much states it. The moment the new codex came out I immediately tried to adapt it to my usual strategy. Up until the new codex I played an airborne regiment that had a vulture and 2 thunderbolts for heavies providing support, but now with the skimmer rules out I have no idea what I could possibly do with them since using FW flier rules in conjunction to IG skimmer rules just doesnt sound legit to me at this point, while relying on apocalypse games alone isnt gona make up the cost of the models back. So anyone got any ideas?

Frm what I understand GW just slapped me across the face with the new codex rendering vultures and thunderbolts COMPLETELY legitametly unusable in standard 40k games, or at least until they release their own rules for them....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Am I not right in thinking that vulture = vendetta? So thats a fairly straight swap

Also when were forgeworld heavies usable in normal 40k a) without opponants permission and b) as a seperate detachment from the rest of the army...

I don't see what you have been slapped with because from my point of view nothing has changed in terms of Imperial armour, they certainly weren't in the last codex, unless i missed something entirely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Dude, you get Valks and Vendettas. You have a good base codex and don't need flyers anymore, deal with it.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

well vultures you could just use skimmer rules for now, just use the same exact rules for the Valk from the codex but pts costs, weapon options, armour etc from IA, and thunderbolts are seperate rules anyway, so the new codex does nothing to nagate them

just use your imagination, I know most players round here despise that word and the notion of using your brain, but it can have surprising results, the problem is finding someone as open minded to the ideas
    Last edited by Stella Cadente; May 6th, 2009 at 17:04.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by ernie55 View Post
    Am I not right in thinking that vulture = vendetta? So thats a fairly straight swap

Also when were forgeworld heavies usable in normal 40k a) without opponants permission and b) as a seperate detachment from the rest of the army...

I don't see what you have been slapped with because from my point of view nothing has changed in terms of Imperial armour, they certainly weren't in the last codex, unless i missed something entirely.
    Well actualy, before you could just play usng any kind of Elysian rules from the IA and thus be able to use fliers with FW rules in standard 40k games. While in terms of changing, a lot of things did, since before the new codex one could use any flyer with opponent's permission - and use them according to the rules in IA books.

Now however, valkyries and vendettas count as skimmers, therefore it would be simply impossible to field other flyers on the battlefield without using them as skimmers - which vultures, and thunderbolts dont have rules for. I cant just go into a standard 40k game and use valkyries as skimmers, and use thunderbotls as flier in IA rulebook - because technicaly both are supposed to be used in the same exact manor. Vulture I can see acting as a skimmer, but thunderbolt? Its a strafing fighter not a VTOL it cant be a skimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastershake View Post
    Dude, you get Valks and Vendettas. You have a good base codex and don't need flyers anymore, deal with it.
    Trust me, if you ever got a chance to use a flyer, you wouldnt be saying this. Its never been about the goodness of the codex, but much rather about theme, personal style and strategy. Its not always something that will autmaticaly win you the game, but much rather something prestigious and unique that no one else has. People who heavily rely of FW models have every right to be upset with the release of this codex.
    Last edited by WraithGuardian; May 6th, 2009 at 17:38.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Flyers overall are being (or rather, have been) phased out of regular 40k. Instead, look to Apocalypse. I think this is a good thing. It streamlines the rules in regular games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithGuardian View Post
    I cant just go into a standard 40k game and use valkyries as skimmers, and use thunderbotls as flier in IA rulebook - because technicaly both are supposed to be used in the same exact manor.
    why can't you?, Thunerbolts are planes, they fly, Valks are future helicopters, they skim, so why can't you?, nothing is stopping you except yourself

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Maybe look to Planet Strike for fliers to re-emerge.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Speaking to a Forgeworld guy at the openday he was saying that the vulture would be getting skimmer rules similar to valks. They are bringing out a vulture with punnisher cannons to make up for the fact that vendettas outclass the previous rules for vultures. Loosing the flyer status is a reasonable downgrade but they now have better armour to compenate.

Thunderbolts haven't changed at all.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithGuardian View Post
    Well actualy, before you could just play usng any kind of Elysian rules from the IA and thus be able to use fliers with FW rules in standard 40k games. While in terms of changing, a lot of things did, since before the new codex one could use any flyer with opponent's permission - and use them according to the rules in IA books.

Now however, valkyries and vendettas count as skimmers, therefore it would be simply impossible to field other flyers on the battlefield without using them as skimmers - which vultures, and thunderbolts dont have rules for. I cant just go into a standard 40k game and use valkyries as skimmers, and use thunderbotls as flier in IA rulebook - because technicaly both are supposed to be used in the same exact manor. Vulture I can see acting as a skimmer, but thunderbolt? Its a strafing fighter not a VTOL it cant be a skimmer.

Trust me, if you ever got a chance to use a flyer, you wouldnt be saying this. Its never been about the goodness of the codex, but much rather about theme, personal style and strategy. Its not always something that will autmaticaly win you the game, but much rather something prestigious and unique that no one else has. People who heavily rely of FW models have every right to be upset with the release of this codex.
    Have you been using the apoc style move 36" min per turn? or the older style where they come off a board edge during the enemy shooting phase?

as Stella Cadente put it, simply turn the vulture into a fast skimmer and use the "normal" flier rules for the thunderbolt. Like you said its a strafing plane, it should use the same rules. The vulture has VTOL just like the valk. The only thing the valk changed in regards to fliers was vultures.

Personally I'm probably just going to use my vulture as a valkyrie of either type. If you really want to maintain the same feel of the vulture just don't transport anything
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast