Vetern Army, good or bad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x2)

Vetern Army, good or bad

When i Imaged my IG army i think of them as a Skilled, Accruate, Camo Army, with plenty of tanks.
    I rather Dispised the thought of wastfully and carlessly throwing troops, knowing a bunch of them will get mowed down....expesially using Conscripts and lenan squads (hate Horde IG). Instead i like the idea of Skillful, well equipped, Soilders Soilders, Hunkering down and laying down some fire, with Artillery, tanks, any heavy weapons, giving devasting support fire.

I was Thinking about a Force With
    lots of Veterens, with Camo cloaks (one with snipers
    A single platoon (with minuim infaqntry squads and maxium heavy weapon squads)
    2 Storm trooper squads
    Ratling squad
    and Lots of tanks.
    The Infantry and veterns will be equipped with Voxs, Lots special weapons, (annything to increase Offense and Defense)

What do you think guys?
    I think i can make it work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeweaver View Post
    I rather Dispised the thought of wastfully and carlessly throwing troops, knowing a bunch of them will get mowed down....expesially using Conscripts and lenan squads (hate Horde IG).
    Some say 'wasteful' and 'needless' others say 'necessary' and 'useful'. Each to his own.

I suggest you draft up a list and post it in the army list section (if you haven't already).

lots of Veterens, with Camo cloaks (one with snipers
    Camo Cloaks are expensive. VERY expensive. I think Sniper weapons should be kept to the ratlings.

A single platoon (with minuim infaqntry squads and maxium heavy weapon squads)
    Make sure you have screens/cover those HWS (and block LOS in certain directions with tanks, so only unit your shooting at can fire back) or they will be quickly instant deathed.

2 Storm trooper squads
    Eh. Against MEQs these will do some damage (unless the Marine player is sane and place his models in cover) but against anything else these are not point effecient. I would suggest getting a Psyker Squad or two instead.

Ratling squad
    Very vulnerable to fire. Bolters kill them on a 2+. Make sure these guys are in cover.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I like veteran armies, but you need to keep them protected. Forget about camo cloaks, give them 3 meltas & a power fist/weapon, and put them in the newer, cheaper chimeras instead. An Infantry Platoon is always nice, don't take ratlings, and take at most 1 stormtrooper squad (they're too expensive). Whatever you have leftover, spend happily on your tanks or maybe even a valk/vendetta.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I think vet armies are awesomely fun, dunno if they'll be effective yet as I haven't had a chance to play with the new dex. Also I think a group of vets with cloaks, snipers and an autocannon can be very useful for defending a home objective for a mere 125 pts
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Vets are great. Snipers and camo cloaks are not that great, but the meltas, plasma and heavy weapons are great. Chimeras are fantastic too.

HWS are too easy to kill and expensive, Ratlings are quite nice, just stick them in cover, Stormies are unimpressive.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I am in the process of building my Vet army.
    I used to run a Mech. Grenadiers army so now I am going for the Vet squads in Chimeras.

This can be a very powerfull and balanced army if you use the Chimeras 3 HW's (w/ Heavy Stubber) for horde control and the squads 3x Meltas for Tank Busting.
    Back them up with Artillery of your choice and let them lose.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Vets are a great unit choice, that give you a wide variety of options in how you decide to field them. In addition, you can now take a complete Veteran army (since CCS is basically a 5man squad of vets).

However, there are more... "optimal" ways to field them imo.

The best being:

Vets w/ 3 meltaguns in a Chimera (with hull HF). Coming in at the low point cost of 155, this unit is the new "Armored Fist" of the IG (glad the days of paying more points for a BS3 mounted squad are over!).

Another good setup imo is:

Hakar, 3 GL and an Autocannon. Coming in at 150points, this squad can kick out a good deal of firepower on the move (HB + 3GL) and has an autocannon for when they're not moving. They can infiltrate/outflank, and also have +1 cover. Not a bad unit imo, but still a little pricey.

I like Bastonne, but just wish he did not cost so much Too expensive for serious play imo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I llike vets they're a great unit but I wouldn't base my entire army around them. My favorite setup is 10 of em with 3 flamers and demolitions, possibly a stubber chimera thrown in. They're cheap at 115 or 180 points too.

Good luck with your list though, 1 ST squad would probobly do you better -prefferebly with 2 outflanking or DSing meltaguns. Watch out that your rats don't run away, maybe a PBS would be a better choice.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

The only drawback I see is that all-Veteran armies are restricted to 6 extremely fragile Troop choices. Sure, you can give them Chimeras or Grenadiers, but both options get expensive quickly.

Not to mention the conversion time that goes into making an all-Veteran army. Never forget the golden rule: "WYSIWYG", if you're going for an all-Veteran army your Guardsmen better look like Veterans.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; May 10th, 2009 at 19:34.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x2)

Ideally this is what the List would be like

HQ
    Command Squad-orders
    Commisar lord

Elites
    Ratling-Pinning enemies
    2 Kaskin Squads- Anti-Heavy infantry, and taking objectives (most of the amry hunckers down and shoots, a unit with carpace army is ideal unit for venturing out in the open)

Troops
    4x well eqquipped Veteren Squads with forward sentries (hunker down, shoot and hold the line)
    Infantry Platoon
    -Platoon leader-more orders
    -2 infantry squads -Denfense of Artillery, CC any unit trying to charge vets
    - many Heavy weapon teams
    Penal Squads-Counter attack, Assault

Fast Attack
    Armored Sentials
    Hellhound
    -In the future maybe a valkrie

Heavy support
    Bassies
    Leman Russ
    Demolisher

Also counterattack wave,... Vets will have camo while regular infantry does not. Thats how i'll tell the two appart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast