I really dislike the new SM codex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really dislike the new SM codex

Hi I haven't played warhammer in a while and I am just getting back into it. I stopped just about a month before the "new" space marine codex came out.

I always used to use my librarian and when I saw what the codex did to them i was annoyed. I like how the powers are free and all but to use 2 a turn it's 50 points which is really bad because now you only have the option for 2 wounds. Plus his LD is only 9 now so he's going to fail more tests. His Psychic hood only has a range of 24" (which is actually more fair but I still don't like it) His Int is 4 now so with any decent character your fighting against with him you're gonna have to use that power that gives him Int 10 then if you want a descent chance at hurting them you gotta use the power that gives him Strength 6 or what ever it is but then you don't get to use the force weapon which is really what you need to kill with.

Some of you might be saying what about MR BIG BAD TIGURIUS over 200+ points for 2 wounds and no invulnerable save, no. Wait there is the power to give him an invulnerable save ya but it's a 5+ which is pretty bad better than nothin but bad. Also one more chance to get a perils of the warp.

Cassius now he has it goin on with Toughness 6 and feel no pain. Calgar's better now. We got tons of special characters right so that evens it out right?!?!? No, because we can only have one. IT SHOULD BE LIKE 5 (hehe i wish)

Also, the way they have squads now with no special weapons unless a 10 man squad is dumb because now I've got 5 useless rocket launchers. I do love the 3+ invul for terminators in close combat.

The new landraider is cool if it can get close but if you're anything like me I would have every ****ing gun I own on that thing. I do really like telion though. And the ironclad drednaught is cool. PLEASE IF YOU READ THIS ALL THE WAY THROUGH SAY SOMETHING TO CHEER ME UP!

Last edited by Canew; May 14th, 2009 at 16:14.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Uhm, my copy of the codex says leadership 10, not sure where you're getting 9 from.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel13 View Post
    Uhm, my copy of the codex says leadership 10, not sure where you're getting 9 from.

does yours really??? Mine says 9 I have to look into this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bevi4 View Post
    I do love the 3+ invul for terminators in close combat.
    Actually, it is just a 3+ invulnerable save, not only in close combat.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Man I love the new SM Codex! Sure the chappy and libby got downgraded, but face it, the chaplain should not be the best fighter in the company. A captain should! And I think the new librarian powers are much better than before.
    Check out the cheap and free weapons available to tactical squads.
    Dig in on that awesome ammunition the Sternguard get!
    Those 3+ invuln saves for storm shields. YAY!!
    Cheaper vehicles galore!
    Look at one Bro Sgt Chronus can do to your tanks...BS 5 and IGNORE SHAKEN AND STUNNED!!
    Look at combat tactics!
    Look at combat squads!
    Look at drop pod assault rules!
    Battle Brother bevi4, it is a Good Day to be a space marine player!!!
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no special weapons unless a 10 man squad is dumb cuz now I got like 5 useless rocket launchers. I do love the 3+ invul for terminators in close combat. The new landraider is cool if it can get close but if you're anything like me I would have every ****ing gun I own on that thing. I do really like telion though. And the ironclad drednaught is cool. PLEASE IF YOU READ THIS ALL THE WAY THROUGH SAY SOMETHING TO CHEER ME UP!

Maybe you should read your 'Dex before complaining, you can take the 10 man Tac squad as one troops choice, get those weapons for free, and then split it with Combat squads giving you a potential 12 scoring units on the table if you really want, with free missile launchers/flamers.

Storm shields are now uber, Psych tests almost never fail on LD10 (unless you're fighting Eldar), and most units have an insane degree of flexibility, that other races can only dream of. Don't focus on only special characters, look at everything in the book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

well...

Check out the Tactical Squads other options (as stated above =D):

You get a bunch of free stuff now, since flamers are better, it's not a waste to field them. And field any of the free heavy weapons and break the squad into combat squads. Then you would have anti-armor AND anti-troop/cover at your discretion.

I personally drop pod assault my entire army, those Hellfire rounds are a beast on the Sternguard. I have a full squad of them, five with Storm Bolters and five with the regular bolters to support my tac squads.

You can use special characters' RULES and just represent them with different models. I thought it was garbage too until my Captain with power sword, Artificer Armor and Plasma Pistol wasn't cutting it so, I used Sicarius instead.

Get in the spirit of the Astartes and be flexible about the new codex =)

Good luck man!

I am that i am not.
    "You sick tentacle fetishist puppy." - Ironweevil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, from the look of your first post you're really upset about your librarian getting nerfed so consider this:

Epistolary with terminator amour and storm shield comes in at just under 200pts. that's a 2+ save with a 3+ invulnerable, the option of deepstriking and he still has a force weapon and two psychic powers. Seems like a pretty decent buff if you ask me.
    If you call it a Missile launcher, then it'll never hit anything.

100% of people who aren't Karmoon know Saraneth is invincible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but thats well over 200 points which is his other problem points

and dude its 3+ invun all the time against shooting and in CC there beasts now everyone i know runs just TH/SS termies

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Hi I haven't played warhammer in a while and I am just getting back into it. I stopped just about a month before the "new" space marine codex came out.

I always used to use my librarian and when I saw what the codex did to them i was annoyed. I like how the powers are free and all but to use 2 a turn it's 50 points which is really bad because now you only have the option for 2 wounds. Plus his LD is only 9 now so he's going to fail more tests. His Psychic hood only has a range of 24" (which is actually more fair but I still don't like it) His Int is 4 now so with any decent character your fighting against with him you're gonna have to use that power that gives him Int 10 then if you want a descent chance at hurting them you gotta use the power that gives him Strength 6 or what ever it is but then you don't get to use the force weapon which is really what you need to kill with.

Some of you might be saying what about MR BIG BAD TIGURIUS over 200+ points for 2 wounds and no invulnerable save, no. Wait there is the power to give him an invulnerable save ya but it's a 5+ which is pretty bad better than nothin but bad. Also one more chance to get a perils of the warp.

Cassius now he has it goin on with Toughness 6 and feel no pain. Calgar's better now. We got tons of special characters right so that evens it out right?!?!? No, because we can only have one. IT SHOULD BE LIKE 5 (hehe i wish)

Also, the way they have squads now with no special weapons unless a 10 man squad is dumb because now I've got 5 useless rocket launchers. I do love the 3+ invul for terminators in close combat.

The new landraider is cool if it can get close but if you're anything like me I would have every ****ing gun I own on that thing. I do really like telion though. And the ironclad drednaught is cool. PLEASE IF YOU READ THIS ALL THE WAY THROUGH SAY SOMETHING TO CHEER ME UP!
    First off, I cleaned up your original post, adding some paragraph breaks here and there, capital letters, eliminating abbreviated words, etc. It's not just because forum rules demand it, but if you take a little more time with those things, it makes it a lot easier to read, and you'll get lots more responses.

Now, to your point, I think the new marine codex is like the new IG codex, the new Ork codex, the new Chaos codex, etc., in that there are going to be good AND bad things.

I admit it's gotta be frustrating if your entire army revolved around a certain character or special rule that went bye-bye in this new codex, and I wouldn't like people telling me to just "get over it" either, but look at it this way: You've been playing the same old army in the same old way all this time. Maybe now's your chance to try something adventurous, new and different? Yeah, it'll be tough at first, but learning to play in different circumstances, with different armies, it teaches you how to be a better, more successful player, and who doesn't want that?

Myself, I miss traits like everyone else, but I think the options in "vanilla" squads like marines and scouts (free sniper rifles??? Yes, please!) more than make up for it. I'm also itching to try out Sternguard led by a "counts as" Pedro Kantor. The Land Raider Redeemer looks uber-kewl, though I have to admit when I saw the new Ironclad dread I couldn't help but think I was looking at some GW/Privateer Press hybrid model (Warhammermachine?)

I think the special characters overall are an improvement, especially since the codex clearly states that it's perfectly kosher to use them in your army to represent a commander of your own design. This actually lends MORE options to the do-it-yourself chapter creator (like me). I also like that the chaplains and librarians were slightly nerfed while commanders got a boost. I always felt the commander in the previous 'dex was so little use that they almost shouldn't have bothered including him at all.

There's my two bits. Take or leave it as you see fit.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast