Assult Marines still effective? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assult Marines still effective?

I haven't played 40k for about two years, my buddy and I are getting back into it. I picked up the new rulebook and codex(s). I see frag grenades don't give you any advantages in assulting unless it's against cover saves, correct? When I play Space Marines (against my buddy's Chaos SM) I usually run an Assult Marine squad with frags. Now that they got rid of the initiative bonus that frags used to give, are assult marines still useful against people with the same initiative, such as chaos marines? I just feel now that they don't get to make all of their attacks first it kind of takes away from their effectiveness, maybe I'm missing something though.. Thoughts?

"In the Soviet army it takes more courage to retreat than advance." -Joseph Stalin
    Imperial Guard = Soviet Army? Me thinks so.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Frags are only really useful if fighting people with the same initiative or lower.

If your opponent has a higher initiative, they'll be striking first regardless of cover or grenades.

Assault Marines still do the same job they always did.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In other words they still wont stand a chance against regular chaos marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Meandor View Post
    In other words they still wont stand a chance against regular chaos marines.
    That's kinda stupid that Assult Marines no longer have the jump on people. Kinda pointless using them against other SM or Chaos SM armies..
    "In the Soviet army it takes more courage to retreat than advance." -Joseph Stalin
    Imperial Guard = Soviet Army? Me thinks so.

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

For standard Space Marines, Assault marines are the primary way to get bolt pistol/chainsword or 2 CC weapon power armored models into close combat. Scouts also have this configuration available, but -power armor..

Vanguard Veterans also have this configuration available, but are much more expensive.

Also, the extended range to engage another unit is extremely useful.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by BloodRavenextr View Post
    That's kinda stupid that Assult Marines no longer have the jump on people. Kinda pointless using them against other SM or Chaos SM armies..
    IMO the only real downside to the Assault Marines is the fact the standard troopers don't have power weapons. This means they have ignoring armour, whereas guns have an AP value which at least means they might be able to deny IG or orks a save!

This is why I like Vanguard - ok they're expensive but where else are you going to get 10 models in Power Armour with Jump Packs and Lightning Claws/Power Weapons?
    Last edited by realitycheque; May 15th, 2009 at 20:08. Reason: Change of phrasing.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Assault marines CAN be good, but they are of limited effectiveness against other SM and CSM armies, yes. And when you think about it, the points you're spending on Assault Marines could be spent in other places in far better ways: you could have an assault-orientated Bike Command squad for example. Even better, a squad of Vanguard Veterans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in large numbers and used rightly they can be extremly effective, also when you take chaplain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

For those saying they are no good against Chaos I dont agree. They can be very effective against Chaos and annoying to deal with if used correctly. A lot of it will depend of if you can charge. The number of attacks a full assault squad can put out is pretty high and with all those some of them are bound to get through. Arm the Seargant with a Power Weapon/Fist and stick a Chaplain or Commander with them and pick on smaller squads. Avoiding Bezerkers is a good idea though.

Against Tau and IG they are great. Just try multi-charge-though 5th ed consolidation rules hurt them a lot (as with all combat troops)
    Currently play: 4000+ of Black Legion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although i don't play regular space marines anymore with the jump from the 4th edition codex to the 5th, the good old chaplain with lightning claws with a 10x assault marine combo with a powerfist running around isn't as effective anymore. But at least they made up for it with some other CC unit that moves fast @_@ Vanguard..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast