How do you counter the empty table? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you counter the empty table?

I posted a similar question in the Drop Pod Tactica but though I would ask here as well. I have seen a lot of people lately counter a DP army buy leaving their entire army in reserve. How do you best deploy a drop pod army against an empty table?

What is the best way to ensure you are not a weak short ranged static gunline?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

I'd say drop onto objectives and strongpoints and make him come to you. Depending on terrain setup you could hold objectives and utilize LOS and firing lanes to your advantage. Keep in mind, unless he has a drop army too he would have to roll on the reserves table. If he comes in piecemeal you have the potential of decimating him rather quickly.

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

I figured I'd add my comment here, although I did post it in the other location. Probably better to have this all in the same place.

Ping, I would most likely just deploy pods in places to block avenues of travel toward the objectives near the middle of the board. In an attempt to funnel and army down a corridor that you can annihilate with shooting.

For Annihilation games, use them as cover, and to steer the enemy where you can set up a crossfire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can try and deploy your army right along their board edge.

With a little luck (and Immaculate spacing), you can cover the whole board edge, making infantry squads unable to come on (unless they outflank) and forcing tanks to tanks shock on, which your sarges with melta bombs can then wreck off the table.

I know it's a jerk move, but it was their mistake to deploy nothing.
    I'm trying to catalog every song with a reference to yetis or Sasquatch. Please help.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

If you really want to screw around, you can always drop pod with nothing deployed in it (except maybe a locator beacon for future Deepstrikers).

Quote Originally Posted by crazyrpger View Post

With a little luck (and Immaculate spacing), you can cover the whole board edge, making infantry squads unable to come on (unless they outflank) and forcing tanks to tanks shock on, which your sarges with melta bombs can then wreck off the table.

That is a little dangerous. You could mishap by scattering off the board edge.
    Last edited by jy2; May 19th, 2009 at 05:12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirality View Post
    I'd say drop onto objectives and strongpoints and make him come to you. Depending on terrain setup you could hold objectives and utilize LOS and firing lanes to your advantage. Keep in mind, unless he has a drop army too he would have to roll on the reserves table. If he comes in piecemeal you have the potential of decimating him rather quickly.

Exactly come in on objectives and drop pod into terrain as you can drop pod into difficult terrain, use run move to get into better firing positions if needed then watch his army get destroyed piecemeal while he trys to get back objectives lol.. Against a good drop pod player the empty board tactic is a little silly.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Hahah! I love it. Melta bombs? You mean my powerfists right?

A couple of points to actually pulling this off. If your playing at 1850 and up, this will probably work and you get first turn it's completely doable. Land your pods 12 inches from the board edge. Then run your marines towards the board edge. Move and run again in required.

You'd only need 24 marines to cover the entire length of the board on a 72 inch table. 2 inches between marines + the slightly < an inch worth of base the marine stands on + 2.5 inches between squads.

So if you had 4 tactical squads land the first turn, and another the second turn, you've got pretty good odds of getting at least 24 marines spread out enough to do this. Great idea!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I would deploy my models about 18 inches from the board edge, in cover. This way when the opponent moves on, they should be just out of range of your marines with their infantry, and only have tanks to shoot at you. Then you move up next turn and blast away + land the next wave of your pods.

If you feel you've lost the upper hand, play cheap, kill his soft targets easily - like transports and other easy kill points. Of course you should already start with the objective secured or near secured if your playing that type of mission.

Remember you should be combat squading your multi-melta units for great heavy weapon support.

All of these things can help even the odds against an opponent like this.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

I'm not a fan of lining the board edge; it's risky in and of itself, and there are far too many ways to counter it. For starters if it's a mech list anything tougher than a Rhino is more likely to run your sergeants over than be Tank Shocked to a standstill, and if they've got Skimmers they'll just float over your Marines then either turn around and shoot them to bits or disgorge the squads they're carrying to do it instead. Then, of course, you've got to consider what will happen if your lads fail Morale checks and start falling back, or get hit by a big fat Defrolla or something. Even for all-infantry armies like Tyranids, a couple of Outflanking Stealer squads or a nice big Flyrant or two will cut a hole in your defensive cordon without much trouble.

If you were doing it with Terminators it might be worth it, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Personally I would deploy my models about 18 inches from the board edge, in cover. This way when the opponent moves on, they should be just out of range of your marines with their infantry, and only have tanks to shoot at you. Then you move up next turn and blast away + land the next wave of your pods.
    This is the best way to do it I think, although there are still a couple of things to be aware of. First of all the arriving units are going to see you before you see them, so you need to try and minimise any casualties you'll take from shooting on the turn they arrive. Leave the Heavy Weapon trooper in LoS to the board edge and hide the rest of the squad behind the Drop Pod; that way they'll get a nice 4+ cover save and you'll be able to fire your lascannon or multimelta at anything that emerges without moving.

Secondly, be very aware of units that can assault out of their transports. 18" is the maximum distance that a unit of Berzerkers or Grey Knights can assault out of a Land Raider; landing the pods 20" away will negate the danger from this. Another thing to be aware of is Outflankers, or anything that can arrive behind your line and start wreaking havoc. There's not much you can do against this except make sure your back is covered and keep units like Genestealers or Striking Scorpions when you're deciding what to Drop and where.

Thirdly the squads forming the cordon need to be packing enough firepower to gun down anything that appears from the board edge within a turn or two, or at least inflict enough damage to make the tactic worth pursuing. Multimeltas are an idea, as is a Sternguard Squad or two to deal with any infantry, and Terminators or Ironclad Dreads will cause anyone problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all, for the advice. That buffer of 18 or more is probably the best bet. It would have to be proactive, as my drop squads power is realy limited to short range weapons. Just securing points would most likely just leave them as targets for long range weapons. So that is probably my best bet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I read that you can only death or glory with the miniatures that are displaced by the tank passing by, not with any miniature of the whole squad (I don't have the books at hand, so I may be wrong).

If that's correct, you are not the one who chooses who DOGs, but the player controlling the tank; and since the sergeants are 1 out of 5 spaced out marines (at most) I don't think you can count on those powerfists that much. A rhino coming through will make enough room for a unit coming afterwards, and then you are in a very dangerous position with your troops stretched out.

Add deep-strikers and outflankers and the reserve blocking tactic becomes very very risky, very soon (on top of it being not very nice to begin with).

+ Reply to Thread