Topic of the Week: Tanks tanks tanks! Lets Talk Leman Russ - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Topic of the Week: Tanks tanks tanks! Lets Talk Leman Russ

Wow. I'm still truly impressed by the variety of army styles available in the new codex. Massed infantry, airborne assault, and mechanised infantry. Combinations. AND MASSED TANKS!

This thread is for all the treadheads out there. Specifically, the new and improved leman russ selection!

There are so many choices! Do you take a demolisher style chassis, barebones, or a leman russ with plasma cannon sponsons?

Is the executioner worth the points? How about the vanquisher?

Are squadrons good or not?

How many Leman Russes would you fit in your army? At 1000 points? At 2000?

What Russes fit what army styles? Are they even worth taking at all? Do you just want to use Creed and outflank with 3 of the things?

Yeah, the variety is amazing. So, let us know - what are your plans regarding these lumbering behemoths, and why? What's the most efficient design? What's really not worth it?

Have you already messed around with the things?

Discuss!!!!

"Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

My top choices are LRBT, LRD, and LRExec. LRExec is a monster, but is not cheap, however it's ability to score massive amounts of hits makes it an all around killer.

Sponsons are either Plasmacannons or nothing at all. I see no reason to get Heavy Bolter sponsons, just kick it up to Plasma and make it count.

I like to take two Russes at least, they draw fire away from your AV12 and are a great platform for ap2 (especially since my infantry carries mostly meltas now).

I think just about any IG army can benefit from Russes, but they really help armies with a lot of AV12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No1 choice for me has to be the demolisher with melta sponsons, and hull las.

The greatest thing I think though is the ability to have a good broad selection in an army, meaning that you opponent really has to think about his priorities.

Can't remebr name right now, but the HVY20 tank I feel is the most over hyped vehicle in the codex. WAY WAY to expensive. Only saving grace is to put pask inside and improve the ballistic skill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

My favourite choices are the standard choices, the basic LRBT without upgrades or a LR Demolisher with hull Lascannon and possibly the Plasmacannon sponsons, though personally I leave them off because I don't like pillbox tanks.

After that I would say it is the Executioner, potentially extremely powerful but fills a similar role to the much cheaper Demolisher, so I tend to leave it at home - a good choice though.

As for the others, the Eradicator could be amazing in the right situation, but it has a very small niche so I tend to leave this at home too. The Punisher is nice, but in reality it has very little MEQ killing power for it's cost, again, it is a niche tank.

The big loosers for me are the original variants, the Vanquisher and Exterminator. I think the Vanquisher is pretty poor for the cost unless you intend to give it Multi-melta sponsons and Pask to use it as an anti-tank pillbox, it just doesn't have enough shots for its poor accuracy.
    The Exterminator is ok, but I would never take it over a LRBT, I don't see how it wins out trading a Battle Cannon for an Exterminator Autocannon except when shooting at light vehicles which can probably be taken out by infantry-based Autocannons anyway, it is good but the loss of versatility and power is huge.
    Last edited by Xethemez; May 21st, 2009 at 09:46. Reason: Mixed up Exterminator's and Executioner's names!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

The LRBT with Plasma Cannon is the most efficient tank there is.

Personally, I field two of them in a 1500pts game alongside 4 chimeras. AV14 soaks up a lot of firepower and the sheer amount of dakka the LRBT can put out (3 pie plates) really tallies up the kills. Executioner is good, but only in 2000pt games or more, when its is more likely to earn its points back. Punisher isnt that overhyped IMO - take them in suqadrons of 2 or 3 with Creed. Outflank them. The ability to reliably wipe out entire Ork mobs or IC's in a turn of shooting is strategically useful. But yes, this squad is expensive and good only in 2k games or more.

As soon as the new plastic kits come out, I am going to field 3 to 4 of these beasts in my standard 1500pt games - they are that useful

Leman Russes work well with all kinds of armies. With Infantry Horde, they soften up assault units and act as a decent fire magnet. With mechanised, they work great for forming spearhead formations and defending the weaker transports (Keep flamer or melta chimeras behind two of them and counterattack when anything gets near).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x4)

I'm joining in on the fun with the Executioner as well; in my 1750 and 2k Mechanized Infantry lists, I've got one without and with sponsons (each list respectively). I'm also plugging in the standard Russ, because, who can go wrong with your vanilla russ? I mean, seriously? Its always been an awesome tank. For the 2k list, I'm also throwing in a Vanquisher...though I do have one gripe with the codex version: No more blast option. One of the dumbest things ever to do, in my opinion. I'd happily pay a wee bit more for the flexibility of the ammo types. I might find myself digging into IA1 for when it really counts...
    "Speed is life! You go slow, you die!"
    -Sgt. Unther, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I've got 2 nilla russes 1 w/ 3x HBs 1 w/ 2x HB and 1x LC, and they do just fine againts just about anything. Lumbering behemoth is life saving. Just as I was begining to consider all infantry chimeras got better and went down in points and all of the new lumbering behemoths brought me back to cold steel.

I can't wait for the plastic kits to come out, when they do i'm thinking of getting 1 of each type of russ, so i'll hopefully be getting 6.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Ah my old favourite has to be the Demolisher. Scares the hell out of everyone and can kill tanks just as well as infantry. Ok it's range isn't brilliant but i generally don't sit back and shoot.

So to this end i don't bother with sponsons. If i'm always on the move they're just points wasted. Cheap and cheerfull.

I've got to say though, i've been looking at all the new funky varients and even some of the older ones like the Vanquisher and the exterminator and after 'umming and Arrring' I always come back to the good old Battle Tank and the Demolisher. For their points these two have to be the best all rounders.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely the Lumbering Behemoth rule has made it so the Leman Russ is still a top tier tank when it comes to killing infantry. I was real bummed when Defensive Weapons took their hit. I'm glad that we're able to get around that a little bit.

As far as my favorite variety of tank, well, the standard Leman Russ with a gang of heavy bolters attatched is a big ball of dead shooty, while not being so expensive as to attach conditions like "only in games of 2k or more".
    Last edited by SimSnow; May 21st, 2009 at 13:49.
    Formerly known as SimulatedSnowman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aye very true,

ive gone with a mech list so armour is quite important, ive managed to get 3 russ fully souped up and an ex at 205 points. the russ have hull lascannons, sponson bolters and other bits and bobs.

I use them to splat any infantry that could threatern my guard when they disembark and provide enough anti armour support to kill a baneblade in a pinch.

I run two of the battle tanks in a squadron, the ex on its own and the last russ on its own. Using the pair to hit armour, two lcannon and two battle cannon hits are usually enough to put anything dangerous out of commision. the other russ has a hunter which i like to throw about randomly early on, if it hits the enemy then im happy but if not then its no great waistage. The role for the ex is obvious lol, its a 100% plasmafied death spitter. Ive given it a hull las if it has to run up against any 14 armour that the others havent killed, im in two minds about the sponsons though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast