Help versus Abbadon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Help versus Abbadon

I've won 2 out of 3 games with this list so far (it's changed a bit throughout with me adding or dropping things I did or don't like) and my recent game was a lost to chaos marines, a massacre in killpoints (I won the first game against orks in KP though)

Here's my list

Company Command Squad
    Straken, medic, regimental standard, camo cloaks, flamer
    Body guard, Beltayn
    -260-
    Chimera
    heavy stubber
    -65-

Marbo

Veterans
    2x plasma, heavy flamer, autocannon
    forward sentries, Bastonne
    -220-
    Chimera
    heavy stubber
    -65-

Veterans
    2x melta, heavy flamer
    Demolitions, Harker
    -195-

Veterans
    3x snipers, autocannon. forward sentries
    -125-

Veterans
    3x snipers, autocannon, forward sentries
    -125-

Platoon (Scratch Company Militia)
    Platoon command w/Al'Rahem, 2 meltas, krak
    2x flamer, autocannons
    -250-

Hellhound

Devil Dog

Scout Sentinels
    x2 w/autocannons

Leman Russ
    Pask, Lascannon
    -215-

Leman Russ Squadron
    2x Leman Russ w/HB
    -300-

Leman Russ Demolisher
    Plasma cannons
    -205-

He had a chaos marine footsloggin army with lucius and abbadon, 3 oblits and havocs with 3 lascannons, a plasma cannon dread and a defiler and 40 CSM, 6 noise marines, 6 possessed (I was surprised too, but they rolled a good skill, feel no pain) and 5 termies.

Despite the first two games, my russ's actually made it to turn 3 (well, a single russ and half the demolisher). Straken actually hit abaddon 3x but failed to cause a wound (abaddon charged into cover)

What tactics would help me against those heavy hitting monsters like abaddon? and I wasn't able to put too much of a dent into the marine horde either (when the termies deepstruck I had to focus fire alot into them, their 2KP and they're within charging distance of the majority of my line)

Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

You've got your answer, a Demolisher shell will ruin Terminators. Other than that, they only move 6", so don't get charged.

As for your list itself, there's a ton of points wasted in expensive or crappy units (Straken, Bastonne, Al'Rahem, Pask). Beyond Pask, 1 unit of meltas, and a Devil Dog you don't have much anti-tank, squadrons are bad, and you've sunk a ton of points into characters that you don't need.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

As said - too many vehicles and chars while too little anti tank. You dont need the devil dog, and neither do you need a third leman russ with the pask. 2 Russes and a demo is enough if you ask me. Also, flamer/autocannon is an odd combo, you will be outflanking with the platoon so you might as well fit something that can ignore his saves at close range i.e either plasma/missile or melta/missile. This way you are bound to kill something.

Drop all the special chars except alrahem and marbo, maybe take a master of ordnance for a free template shot at the start of every turn.

Also, the vet setup is a litle weird. If you play chaos than you want good anti MEQ weapons - lowest possible ap at maximum possible range. Give all vets plasma guns, they dont need sniper rifles or flamers since you have no way of getting close to the enemy to use flamers and at the same time snipers wont get through 3+.
    Last edited by WraithGuardian; May 21st, 2009 at 21:47.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

oh i forgot to change that, in the new list bastonne isn't in it, and it's a take all comers list, i've just had problems with that list so probably others like it. I've been thinking dropping straken and the devil dog for a platoon of infantry
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Mad Larkin. Just my thoughts. Why not consider a collossus in your army. These are great at slaying marines, and other similar heavy troops. Drop pask and his lemun russ and you can afford 1 x collossus and 1 x griffon. Good accuracy, good against all armies, cheap, and makes your opponent think more about choosing his targets.

MOO is a good choice, with that many marines, good chance of hitting something, and can potentially cause horrific casualties. I had land smack on a tactical squad, took 8 marines with it in the blast. Anyways!

Loose the camo cloaks for the CCS, don't get why you have them if you are taking a chimera for the unit.

Also why you taking forward sentries for the vets with snipers? surely you want them to stay back, get more shots in with their weapons.

As far as Abbadon goes. HE IS A BEAST, and I don't really think that there is much you can do about him, apart from pour on the fire power. If he is teleporting in with termies, maybe consider a officer of the fleet to try and keep him in reserve a little longer.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Abaddon with his Eternal Warrior, 4 wounds, toughness 5 and 4+ inv save is pretty much unkillable.
    Against abbadon I'd just run the hell away. Theres no pont getting into combat with him as even hardcore marine combat characters would struggle against him.

If he teleports in just walk away from him. He moves the same distance as you so just jog away blowing raspberries. Or if needs must charge a 30strong squad led by a commissar into him. Ok they wont kill him but they'll hold him up for a few turns at least. ((You'd need to get rid of his termies to tie him up though))

A decent tooled up vet squad with plasma and a democharge will take care of the termies.

+ Reply to Thread