Librarium Online Forums banner

Themed armies using new units

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Badger2402 
#1 ·
OK so we all know one of the best things about the Guard is the huge variety of army themes you can do. I just thought I'd share some fluff/modelling ideas I had for representing different Guard themes using the new codex, and hopefully others can come up with some too...

Penal Legion: These guys don't have to be convicts.
- How about modelling up some ninja-themed guardsmen and using them as a regiment of skirmishers from a feudal world? They have a variety of cc-themed powers and they can spring out of ambush (outflank).
- Or maybe they can be Frateris Militia (bands of fanatical citizens whipped up by a priest to fight Xenos and traitors).
-Or newly inducted hive gangers, long on ferocity and short on discipline. I think penal legion are underrated for creating great themed armies.

Chenkov: Chenkov can be used for any Kreig-like theme, where the soldiers grimly charge into the enemy's guns. His special rules have that World War I feel to them.

Al-Rahem: Speaking of 40k ninja, another way to represent them would be by using Al-Rahem.
He can also be used for anything like Tanith armies (assuming you don't want to go the vets+Lord Commissar route) where ambush is the order of the day. Hive gangers, feral worlders, traitors... Throw in Marbo (modelled to fit your theme of course) and you have an awesome little fluffy detachment.

That's all I have for now. I could go on about counts-as Ad Mech but I don't want to step on Cadaver Junkies' toes :D

See less See more
#2 ·
That's all I have for now. I could go on about counts-as Ad Mech but I don't want to step on Cadaver Junkies' toes :D
Whup! No probs- wax lyrical 'bout all things Ad Mech mate!

You crush them toes!

As for the rest of your post, yeah - bunch of good ideas there! There's many ways to use the new units in many different armies!

I was thinking you could use the psykers as electro priests for Ad Mech, to tell the truth - combine their electric charge capacitors to shock or smash the enemy. Peril of the warp? Well, maybe they just charged themselves for a little too long...

Penal legion? Well, actually, I'll be using penal legion AS penal legion in my Ultramar IG army - the troops most loyal to the old, 'executed for heresy' commander are sorta being thrown in where the fighting is thickest, kill two birds with one stone idea really! The enemy, and the loyalists. :sinister:

Tank Commander Pask? For my Ad Mech, he'd just be a specialized version of the 'machine spirit' upgrade. :)

#5 ·
I was thinking you could use the psykers as electro priests for Ad Mech, to tell the truth - combine their electric charge capacitors to shock or smash the enemy. Peril of the warp? Well, maybe they just charged themselves for a little too long...
Holy crap. It's just come to me in a flash of brilliance: Tesla Troopers! I'm going to start convering these bad boys right goddamn now.

#3 ·
Well the obvious theme would be Chaos tainted guard.

Ogryns as mutants
Penal Legion as either tainted/possessed/mutated guardsmen
Conscripts as cultists
Psykers as evil Pyskers
Hell you can even take Straken as a Chaos Space Marine Aspiring Champion hehe.

If I could remake my IG army, I would for sure make them chaos guard :) (but don't tell the =][= )

#4 ·
Hell yeah I love the themeing you can do with this list, I've run a few small games using a small tanith force. Pretty simple really, I just have A CCS with a Corbec model (granted he just uses a laspistol and ccw) and a few veteran scouts with him, gaunt as a lord commissar obviously, a scout vet squad with a few snipers in it, then a standard platoon with that alharem idea, except I count him as Rawne, and have a few squads under him. Yeah... I got a lotta Tanith models...

Also along the lines of themed armies, Arbite forces are pretty easy to make, Commanders with standard special equipment, Lord Commissar as Arbite Commisioner, and vet squads with shotguns and grenade launchers and caraspace.

#8 ·
Also along the lines of themed armies, Arbite forces are pretty easy to make, Commanders with standard special equipment, Lord Commissar as Arbite Commisioner, and vet squads with shotguns and grenade launchers and caraspace.

Hey, I forgot about those guys! They appeal to me more than any other "guard-esque" army out there because I'm going into the law enforcement field but what would you do for vehicles? Hellhounds and Chimeras? Russes would be way too large scale for the general policing and even large riots.

#7 ·
I was thinking of using the rules of Straken to represent a Fallen Dark Angel. Mainly to annoy my Dark Angel mate. But the rules are pretty spot on to that of a marine Character armed with a relic blade.

Or for those PreHeresy players out there you could do a marine led Imperial Army.

#9 ·
Russes would be way too large scale for the general policing and even large riots.
I can't remember what novel it was, although i'm leaning towards NIGHTBRINGER. They had an Arbite precinct in that and they had 3 ancient Leman Russes stored away. I forget why they had them but hey, why not? In the same fight they broke out the armoury and had heavy bolters, missile launchers and all the trimmings.

Going by that novel you can do pretty much anything ;)

Could also use the rules for rough riders as Arbites on bikes. (Scout bikes would be perfect)

#10 ·
Yeah I have been wanting to do rough riders for a long time now but I hadn't really thought of much else other than doing SM scouts. Which brings up a bunch of other questions.

1.What weapons do they normally have on the bikes? Side arms and shotguns?
2.Do they normally patrol in Chimeras?
3.What could I use for their shields.(I have tons of bits lying around)
4.Do they rely heavily on just heavy bolters and missile launchers.(Lascannons would seem a bit over kill to me)

Sorry for all of the questions but since I remembered this nifty little outfit of guys I'm really considering restarting all of my guard to be based around these guys.

#15 ·
Yeah I have been wanting to do rough riders for a long time now but I hadn't really thought of much else other than doing SM scouts. Which brings up a bunch of other questions.

1.What weapons do they normally have on the bikes? Side arms and shotguns?
2.Do they normally patrol in Chimeras?
3.What could I use for their shields.(I have tons of bits lying around)
4.Do they rely heavily on just heavy bolters and missile launchers.(Lascannons would seem a bit over kill to me)
1. Shotguns, side arms, close combat weapons. I don't think their bikes are really meant to carry bolters SM-style, although some might mount grenade launchers or flamers.
2. Mostly Rhinos and Repressors. Try using Chimeras like Borak suggested; it's simpler than Allies or FW.
4. Autocannons, grenade launchers, flamers, and snipers would fit in. Meltas would work too, particularly if you form some kind of 'fortified position assault unit'.
They carry lascannons and plasma guns too since they're expected to police the governor/PDF, but probably in small quantities.

#11 ·
Riot shields you can just make out of plasticard which will be fairly painless to your wallet, if they're armed with these then they'd be armed with powermauls(ccw?) These could be your company command or something. They do do the enforcer models for Necromunda but to do an army of these might be a touch on the expensive side. but hey atleast there'd be no conversion work.

The dont use chimeras they used armoured rhino's (REPRESSORS)Forge World WITCH HUNTERS

You could use the rules for the chimera though and equip in as such (heavy flamer and Heavy bolter)

Meh, Lascannons are a bit over the top as they're just for controling crowds, they'd probably have a few melta weapons kicking about just incase the PDF turned.. You can always think about having some sisters of battle allies as they'd fit in pretty well with the theme.

#12 ·
I read an old 40k novel (Crossfire?) about the Arbites, and they had a pretty good selection of gear in there. The precinct house was a massive fortress, like the size of a town, because it needs to be. Remember the Arbites aren't really cops (many planets have their own police forces), they are Imperial cops. They only step in when the governor himself is corrupt or unable to deal with heretics or something, so they have military grade weapons and training. In the book I remember power mauls aren't just cc weapons they have settings rating from stun to kill, so they can be a power weapon or a cc weapon. The Arbites used shotguns, heavy bolters, grenade launchers, and they seemed to be the equivalent of vets in carapace. Oh yeah, they also had fliers...

So workers are rioting in the streets because the governor is starving them to make his tithe? Send in the planet's police force.

The governor is withholding his tithe and seems to be growing tentacles? Send in the Arbites.

Arbites are a great theme. They are nearly always in heroic last stands when aliens and heretics ambush an Imperial world.

#13 ·
Hey all

Just a quick one.

I think the novel that you are talking about Kahoolin is Execution Hour (which is what I have based my imperial navy themed guard army of but I digress).

The arbites in that had heaps of equipemnt, as listed earlier, they also had seeking rounds for their shotguns and macro cannons (I think vulcan mega bolters?) on their fortress in addition to mortors and siege artillery.

Marc

#16 ·
Nah I'm pretty sure it's Crossfire. It was about a female arbites commander who is assigned to a world where the Imperial officials are corrupt. There was one cool bit where she invades a navy vessel and one of the officers is a member of one of the corrupt families. He sees she is wounded and challenges her to a duel so he can kill her but the ship's commissar sees what's going on, pulls out the rule book and quotes that because she is not a naval officer she can nominate a commissar to fight in her place. He then proceeds to kick the naval officer's ass.

I just thought of another one for admech armies: An armoured sentinel can easily be a large armoured cyborg using a SM dread kit.

#14 ·
if i were to do an arbite army i'd suggest using thepete's stormtrooper type of model, sm scout legs, green stuffed knee pads, and cadian torso and arms with green stuffed elbow pads. Also I'd suggest maybe converting the lasguns to autoguns and shotguns. And if you haven't checked out thepete's strorm troopers, do it.

#19 · (Edited)
How about the good old Hardened Vets being some Deathworld guardsmen squads?
That's what I'm planning with my Ruis 31st, being joined by two squads of Catachan fighters to help train them in jungle fighting techniques.
It's also an excuse to use the Catachan models :)

And hey, what about making some Death Guard (or whoever the bad guys are in the many Tanith first and only novels).
Sentenals as stalk tanks, guardsmen and vets and said death guard and death brigades and the lord commisar as a lieutenant to the big baddy himself.

#24 ·
I'm already utilizing a Valk and some Elysians with pig iron heads to make me some ODSTs (vet squad) and the Foehammer. Squad'll be lead by Sergeant Johnson. Which means, pure awesomeness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.