I Want a New Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Want a New Army

Hi,

I have been playing for a short while with Space Marines and have decided to try a new army. After a bit of looking I thought about creating a Witch Hunter army but I am still not sure. I play with a few friends and they have already got Tau, Guard, Necron, Tyranid and Eldar armies so I wanted to try something different.

Can anyone advise on whether Witch Hunters are a good choice?

Sonic

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Witch Hunters can be a very fun and versatile army to play. If you are looking to do something different then I think they are the way to go. They are different but still competetive.

To start a WH army you first have to decide which kind. You can play an all sister army and stock up on beautiful faith points (my preferred way). Or Inquisition, which is certainly not bad and I would personally play a CC rush.

Sisters of Battle can be mech or on foot. Mech is a wonderful thing, and I am finding it even better in 5th ed rules, but it costs money to buy all those tanks. The point is to take a ton of flamers and get close enough to use them. AP 1 flame templates make me weep for joy. melta weapons, as always, do a good job on tanks.

I've never played a full inquisition army, but if you did I would load up on Zealots ( troops choice not in codex), arco-flagellants, and maybe 9 penitents if you want all out close combat. An Inquisitor can make a really nice firebase with heavy bolters and a plasma cannon at his side. TAke advantage of the eversor or callidus assassin if u go this route.

I almost always ally a daemonhunters inquisitor lord with my sisters (for the psycannon and mystics) and deck his retinue our for shooting and with a psychic hood. That way I can take an assassin (Callidus is my favorite.)

p.s. Exorcists work wonders as our only long range, high strength shots, especially in a mech army where your enemies anti-tank firepower will be split.

Hope that was helpful...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A sisters of battle army is not for the feint hearted...or the light of wallet =)

but once you get the hang of how to use faith and SOB's effective range its a very rewarding army.

---------- Post added at 183 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

A sisters of battle army is not for the feint hearted...or the light of wallet =)

but once you get the hang of how to use faith and SOB's effective range its a very rewarding army.
    For Michigan Apoc news and meetups.. www.mi40k.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Another thing to bear in mind, especially if you're coming to the Witch Hunters from the Marines, is that the Sisters are not just female Marines. The difference in play-style between a Sisters army and a Marine army is night and day; they're both medium-short range armies for the most part, however where Marines can hold their own in CC and at long-range the Sisters can't really do either; they're basically IG Veterans in power armour. The Sisters, however, can do tricks

Witch Hunters are a uniquely fun army to play, but the learning curve does tend to put a lot of people off; they're very different to other 40K Codexes and losing game after game with your expensive all-metal army does tend to get disheartening quickly. Just be prepared to shake off a few defeats while you're learning the army and you'll get along fine with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Yeah, get Sisters!

My Tyranids need some new flavoured snacks
    I have too many armies to list in my signature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sob!

I agree with the guys who poted above. Be aware that you are getting into an almost entirely pewter army.

WH is a finesse army. It will take some time to learn to wield the weapon, and definitely should not be considered "marines with boobs".

But the challenges of the WH general makes th victories all the sweeter,and once you gette hang of WH, they are a very deadly opponent.

SM, DH and IG allies also allows for tons of variation.

Be aware that we are still slogging a third ed codex, without much hope for a 5th ed upgrade until (hopefully) before th end of 2011. Shame on Games Workshop - we didn't even get a Fourth Edition Codex at all!!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

If you want a WH army get one! They are extreamly fun to play!
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

+ Reply to Thread