Dealing with Hammerheads. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dealing with Hammerheads.

So just recently I have begun to play IG again. I really like the new codex, it makes them really fun to play as. I did a battle against my Tau friend. It was actually a 1000 point battle. I really am having trouble dealing with his Hammerheads because of the ordnance that can just eat through entire squads of my troops. The hammerheads are so fricking hard to do anything to because you have to roll twice to hit basically with the upgrade. If it didn't have that ordnance it wouldn't be a problem but he just tears through my troops. Even loading up on lasscannons and autocannons doesn't seem to help. What do you fellow guardsmen do to counter the tanks?

"Drive me closer so I can hit them with my sword"!
    (Says the Officer manning the pintle mounted storm bolter to the tank driver)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by GauntsGhost View Post
    So just recently I have begun to play IG again. I really like the new codex, it makes them really fun to play as. I did a battle against my Tau friend. It was actually a 1000 point battle. I really am having trouble dealing with his Hammerheads because of the ordnance that can just eat through entire squads of my troops. The hammerheads are so fricking hard to do anything to because you have to roll twice to hit basically with the upgrade. If it didn't have that ordnance it wouldn't be a problem but he just tears through my troops. Even loading up on lasscannons and autocannons doesn't seem to help. What do you fellow guardsmen do to counter the tanks?
    Vendetta loaded with Vets and 3 meltaguns. Use an astropath to (almost) ensure you outflank how you want and get up close and personal.
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

IG happen to have the perfect counter to skimmers. the ever efficent Hydra.

Like you i sue to struggle with hammerheads and even devil fish. now i smile as they crash. The hydra is cheap, accurate and has enought range to usually hit anything on a standard 40k size table.

ok on the hammerhead front armour it gets tricky but not impossible. and side or rear armours are not as troubling. the hydras sheer number of shots plus ignoring the skimmer bonus means you stand a good chance of downing it. even with the upgrade i regularly take them down.

for its cheap price its one of the best bets you have. vets in chimeras with meltas still have to struggle with the skimmer rules meaning the meltas not as usuful as the ap1 bonus is negated. i'll take 4 long range twin linked autocannon shots from my deployment zone over chasing a hammerhead around in a chimera anyday.

not to mention that for the price of the vet squad with 3 meltas and a chimera with no upgrade you can fit in TWO hydras.. Skimmers dont' last long without their skimmer bonus, they lack the armour needed to really survive without that. even the hammerhead is vulnerable to the hydra. piranna squadrons (use to be so popular in my area) are swatted away with contempt and devilfish are more likely to hide behind bushes ahn enter the sights of a hydra

convert one or buy one. but its to cheap and to versatile in my opinion to not have.

I got lost on the road of life

Experimental Strategist Sun the Unwilling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi View Post

Like you i sue to struggle with hammerheads and even devil fish. now i smile as they crash. The hydra is cheap, accurate and has enought range to usually hit anything on a standard 40k size table.

ok on the hammerhead front armour it gets tricky but not impossible. and side or rear armours are not as troubling. the hydras sheer number of shots plus ignoring the skimmer bonus means you stand a good chance of downing it. even with the upgrade i regularly take them down.
    I am afraid the hydra does not counter the disruption pods. Both are not fast so therefore do not have the cover save from moving fast. I guess their weakness is that the disruption pods don't work within 12 inches.

So get some guys in chimeras and pop them up close with meltas.
    "Hard pounding, gentlemen: but we shall see who can pound the longest."
    Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi View Post

for its cheap price its one of the best bets you have. vets in chimeras with meltas still have to struggle with the skimmer rules meaning the meltas not as usuful as the ap1 bonus is negated. i'll take 4 long range twin linked autocannon shots from my deployment zone over chasing a hammerhead around in a chimera anyday.

not to mention that for the price of the vet squad with 3 meltas and a chimera with no upgrade you can fit in TWO hydras.. Skimmers dont' last long without their skimmer bonus, they lack the armour needed to really survive without that. even the hammerhead is vulnerable to the hydra. piranna squadrons (use to be so popular in my area) are swatted away with contempt and devilfish are more likely to hide behind bushes ahn enter the sights of a hydra

convert one or buy one. but its to cheap and to versatile in my opinion to not have.
    Sorry, but hydras will still have trouble against HH's. Their auto-targeting systems only work against skimmers that move flat-out. The HH's disruption pods will obscure them even if they don't move. Also, hydras can only glance their AV13 front armor.

I think your best bet, if you're playing infantry, is just heavy weapon squad spam. If you're going mechanized, it's chimera-meltagun spam. The trick is to get enough units that he can't shoot them all down, and spread them out so that his blasts hit minimal units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

2x HWS w/ LCs + Fire on my target order. Even if dont move, re-roll the sucesful cover saves.
    "The only valid test is combat; the only valid result is victory"
    Ardak Kumerian, Klingon Admiral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x3)

Hey there guys,
    I am a Tau player who has been lurking over here a little since the new 'dex came out.

Most Tau players will take 2 Hammerheads in anything 1000 pts and above. Contrary to popular belief, though GuantsGhost pointed it out quite well, the HH is not taken as a primary anti-tank weapon. Tau XV8's with their inexaustible options are generally taken for that role, with the occasional Broadside as well. HH's are so good because they can punch through AV14, but they can also drop pie plates willy nilly. Against IG their primary function is really to kill infantry. I will let my Missile Pods and Fusion blasters go to work on the tanks.

As far as taking them down, I think the Chimera melta squads are a bad idea. Tau have so many different units that can render chimeras more or less inefective (by that I mean, stunned or immobilised, not just dead) and transports are a Tau players first priority. We really want you to stay over there, where you can't punch me.

I agree with Jy2, Heavy weapon spam is a good option, though i think the Hydras might have merits as well. You just need to get as many dice rolling as possible, same for wave serpents. Remember that weapon destroyed results are just as good as killing the thing outright.

Have fun
    Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    I think your best bet, if you're playing infantry, is just heavy weapon squad spam.
    I might look into Hydras someday if I have time, they do look cool, but this is my plan right now. Lot's of missile launchers and more missile launchers, and some flanking autocannons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x3)

So after a little bit of thinking about this, the Hydra is starting to look better and better as an option of taking down a Hammerhead (which is bad news for me).

If you take a squadron of 3 hydras you are shooting off 12 shots a turn. All of these shots by the way don't allow armor saves by joe firewarrior by the way.

12 shots fire at BS 3, on average 6 hit, re-roll for twin linked, total of 9 hits.
    Disruption pod gives the vehicle a 4+ cover save no matter what.

So 4.5 shots hit, you are looking at AV 12-13, you need a 5 to glance av-12 6 to get a penetrating hit (at str 7) or a 6 to glance av 13. With 4.5 hits you have a great chance of getting at least one glancing hit.

Remember that if you keep the Hammerhead from firing during the next turn, you have won the round. So any result on the damage table is win. Shaken is the only that gives the HH a chance to recover by getting out of LOS, but everything else either leaves them in the open for the next turn, blows the gun of the HH (BIG WIN) or blows it up.

Now you are paying 225 pts to take on a 165 (on average) pt tank, but hey, the Hydra will wreak havoc on Pirahna's, XV8's, Stealths, FW's, Kroot, Gun drones, and.......oh wait, thats everything we have.

My first move as a Tau commander will be to target transports and Hydra flank squadrons as number 1 priorities.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

thats the beuty of the hydra. its cheap effective and very VERY good at what it does. which is protect your army.

the first tiem anyone overlooks these, they pay for it. next time. they tend to be afriad of ti and focus on it, thus freeing the rest of your army up.

its take a bit of getting use to the hydras threat to know when to focus on it and when to leave it.

although so far prioritising its death is always a good idea for anyone facing it

I got lost on the road of life

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast