Why Space Marines are broken? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    CKO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Why Space Marines are broken?

Conversation between Creed and a Space Marine Captain before planet fall.

Creed:Deep striking is dangerous, you dont know when or if they will come in?
    Space Marine: What are you talking about we come in on the first turn we pick which units and we dont have to worry about the miscast table.

Creed: Dont you hate it, when your troops get ran down after failing a morale test in close combat
    Space Marine:What, we dont get ran over.

Creed: What about not being able to rally because your below 50%?
    Space Marine:Do we play the same game what are you talking about? You dont autorally?

Creed:Have you seen our new armoury I wish we could take more fa choices.
    Space Marine:Just give your captain a bike, or take a techmarine that way you can free up fa choices or elite choices.
    Creed:WHAT?

Space Marine:Cheer up you can take tons of leman russes.
    Creed:That is true, I hate it when they are stunned/shaken
    Space Marine:Just use machine spirit

Dark Anel: Sorry to interrupt but that is a nice stormshield, where did you get that from?
    Space Marine:Space Marine Codex

Everyone has special rules, but space marine has something similar that is most likely better, example lumbering behemoth is nothing but a wannabe machine spirit. The special rules are hard to deal with, but the choice selection thing is just broken. I would pay 100 points to take more fa choice in my Imperial Guard. Why cant we have a valkyrie as a dedicated transport, I mean you guys get the Land Raider and its a hell lot better.

Are the things I listed above not game changing enough to be considered broken?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Ckok View Post
    Creed: Deep striking is dangerous, you dont know when or if they will come in?
    Smurf: Not really; even without Inertial Guidance and Drop Pod Assaults it's a simple matter of knowing what to drop and where. Also, who's the bloke in the hood with the big stick? And the bloke next to him with the snazzy uniform?
    Creed: Them? They're my Advisors; the hood-man is an Astropath and the other bloke is an Officer Of The Fleet.

Creed: Dont you hate it, when your troops get ran down after failing a morale test in close combat
    Smurf: Not something we need to worry about. I do hate having to face down 12 AFVs in a 1500pt game, though.

Creed: What about not being able to rally because your below 50%?
    Smurf: Surely you can just shout at them until they Get Back In The Fight?

Creed:Have you seen our new armoury I wish we could take more fa choices.
    Smurf: 9 Fast vehicles aren't enough for you?...

Space Marine:Cheer up you can take tons of leman russes.
    Creed:That is true, I hate it when they are stunned/shaken
    Space Marine:Just use machine spirit
    Creed: We don't have it
    Space Marine: That sucks, because it's fantastic. How much do your Russes cost again?...

Dark Anel: Sorry to interrupt but that is a nice stormshield, where did you get that from?
    Space Marine: Space Marine Codex
    Dark Angel: Wow, I'm jealous. Anyway, gotta dash, I have to go and help some Deathwing Troops Terminators hold an objective.

No.

EDIT: Also, when did the Lord Castellan become such a whinge-bag?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Another complaint about a broken army, at least its NOT guard this time..

NO they are not broken, are they slighty better than other armies, perhaps. its certianly possible.

go run a search, look for marines broken in the paramaters and read one of those posts. you'll find a few i'm guessing.

marines have their play style, if ti seems overpowered tto you ask GW to make a army with the numbers of nids, the profile of grey knights, the range of a firewarrior, WBB rules of a necron, CC of a c'tan and toughness of a carnifex with rending attacks and bp, relic blade, storm shield and gauss rifle as its bsic troop for 3points.

then you can claim an army is broken

I got lost on the road of life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone has special rules, but space marine has something similar that is most likely better, example lumbering behemoth is nothing but a wannabe machine spirit. The special rules are hard to deal with, but the choice selection thing is just broken. I would pay 100 points to take more fa choice in my Imperial Guard. Why cant we have a valkyrie as a dedicated transport, I mean you guys get the Land Raider and its a hell lot better.

The Valkyrie and the Land Raider are two entirely different vehicles with different roles, just like the Chimera and the Rhino are two entirely different vehicles with different roles.

Heck, given the fact that most marines are outnumbered when taking to the field, I should hope they get an edge in some fashion or another.

Squirrel_Fish
    "Darnath Lysander is the Samuel L. Jackson of the 40k universe."
    -Quick

CKO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fugger View Post
    Smurf: Not really; even without Inertial Guidance and Drop Pod Assaults it's a simple matter of knowing what to drop and where. Also, who's the bloke in the hood with the big stick? And the bloke next to him with the snazzy uniform?

Creed: Them? They're my Advisors; the hood-man is an Astropath and the other bloke is an Officer Of The Fleet.
    continued:They do no good when your Burger King have it your way drop pods get to come in on the first turn.

Smurf: Not something we need to worry about. I do hate having to face down 12 AFVs in a 1500pt game, though.
    continued:Good thing we have power armour, and a free multi-melta, and look our bolters pierce the side armour of their main transport.

Smurf: Surely you can just shout at them until they Get Back In The Fight?
    Creed:Oh forgot about that to bad it doesnt work every time without fail.

Smurf: 9 Fast vehicles aren't enough for you?...
    Creed: Do you know how hard it is to keep av 12 vehicles in squadrons alive?

Creed: We don't have it
    Space Marine: That sucks, because it's fantastic. How much do your Russes cost again?...
    creed:our most expensive is 230 and its not a transport why?

Dark Angel: Wow, I'm jealous. Anyway, gotta dash, I have to go and help some Deathwing Troops Terminators hold an objective.
    smurf: Poor guy, their terminators need all the help they can get they die so easy with that 4+ inv save that they only get in combat.

Just face it marine players get to break the rules a little, it doesnt make them broken, just means that marine players should never ever complain about other codexes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

continued:They do no good when your Burger King have it your way drop pods get to come in on the first turn.
    And for the other half of the army that has to stay in reserve? You only get to bring in half of your Drop Pods on the first turn.

continued:Good thing we have power armour, and a free multi-melta, and look our bolters pierce the side armour of their main transport.
    Whereas a Grenade Launcher can pierce the front, side and rear of a Rhino, Razorback and Whirlwind. How much do you pay for your Grenade Launchers? And what about the squads you get to put them in, how much do you pay for those?

Creed: oh forgot about that to bad it doesnt work every time without fail.
    Is rolling 8 or less on 2D6 really such a rare occurence that you have to complain about it?

Creed: Do you know how hard it is to keep av 12 vehicles in squadrons alive?
    I can't imagine it's any more difficult than trying to keep a load of Rhinos from being swiped off the board.

creed:our most expensive is 230 and its not a transport why?
    It has an Ordnance weapon though. An Ordnance weapon it can fire after having moved 6" in addition to firing a sponson. Sure it's got to be at the same target, but hey; it's almost as difficult to pop with shooting as a Land Raider and the Battlecannon can be turned to anything, even AV14. Besides which you don't need transports; you've got Chimeras and Fast Skimmers with weapons options that would make a mech Eldar player green with envy.

smurf: Poor guy, their terminators need all the help they can get they die so easy with that 4+ inv save that they only get in combat.
    Terminators die easily? Are you sure about that, because the last time I checked they had a 2+/5++ save against shooting. Which means they get saves against a lot of things.

Just face it marine players get to break the rules a little,
    No they don't. They follow the rules like everyone else.

it doesnt make them broken,
    So why make a thread entitled "Why Space Marines Are Broken" and then spend half an hour of your life whining about the differences between the Space Marine Codex and the Imperial Guard Codex?

just means that marine players should never ever complain about other codexes.
    And most don't.

I hope the irony of posting a thread here whining about how Space Marines are broken in order to demonstrate how the Imperial Guard aren't broken is not lost on you.

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Just face it marine players get to break the rules a little, it doesnt make them broken, just means that marine players should never ever complain about other codexes.
    you know the other kind of poeple that should never complain about other codexes? The kind that can't realize the Pros and cons of thier own codex.

You also should realize that teh SM and IG codex are going to be different, if they weren't guess what, there'd only be one of them!

And 1+ to everything Frank said.

Mike

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

I agree!

Space Marines are cheese!

But not the kind you're thinking of. Not the "beardy" cheese, rather they are the Gouda variety. The sort that my Orks slice up into bite size cubes and eat with bread ^-^

There are good SM players, and there are bad SM players. I've met quite a few of each, and every extreme beyond and in between (it's hard not to, eh?) A bad SM player is no better than a bad IG player, or Eldar, or Tau, or Orks. Bad players are bad, and lose. Good players are good, and win.

It's the good players that give the SM a bad reputation (how dare you!) for being "broken". But let me assure you, they most certainly are not broken. Proverbial pissing contests aside, I will summarize what Frank is trying to tell you. Either that, or I'll summarize what I think he's trying to tell you.

The good players aren't good because they have a broken Codex. They're good because they have analyzed the resources at their disposal and have determined how to most efficiently use them. The Guard have just as many, if not more resources at their disposal (discounting all the extra bodies to throw at the opponent); however, they are often more specialized in purpose, granted a few of the more expensive options have a broader purpose (such as the classic LRBT).

Space Marines are allowed the rules as they are because the army would not function without them. Flavor wise, they are the elite shock troops of the Imperium, and are a vast minority (ironic?) Their rules extend to a more general purpose because they must be capable of handling every situation, with a mild specialization amongst more specific purposes.

And so. Without intending to sound insulting.. before you begin making fallacious claims about an army being broken, might I suggest you first reconsider your own capabilities as a player? Should you not find yourself lacking, then reconsider harder. Every army is beatable, it's just a matter of how -- so what have you been doing wrong?

I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

This thread's gone on about 8 posts more than it should have.

Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of these "I hate marines because..." threads. If you hate them so much, why are you here? Just trying to get a rise out of others?

Guess what? Not happening.

Thread closed.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Closed Thread