Are Voxs Worth Their Points? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Voxs Worth Their Points?

Well I have ordered a battleforce to add on to my current Guard, and apparently when I was building my guard I had done it with the 4th Edition rules, now that my 5th edition codex will be in the mail with the battleforce I was wondering if I should now put Voxcastors into my guard squads. Just because I have 6 infantry lines without voxcastors and 2 platoon command squads also without voxcastors. So whats your taking on Voxcastors, apparently I'll be trying to run Creed as a fluffy Cadian 8th Regiment.

"DID WE JUST SIGN UP FOR A SUICIDE MISSION, RICO?" "YEAH WE JUST DID, WHEN WE ENLISTED" LOVE THE IMPERIAL GUARD, JOIN TODAY!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Firstly, it's Vox Casters.

Secondly, I think the general view is that no, Vox Casters are not worth their points. Do reap the benefits, you'd have to give them to each potential squad you may want to give orders to. Eventually, this ends up being a lot of points which could be better spent elsewere.

However, that said, I do model one into every squad I build because I just think they look cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Depends.

In a mechanized force, no.

However, in a platoon heavy force, they can be worth it.

Put one in your CCS and *one* in each *platoon*. Then if you decide to merge the platoons, you can throw BiD! or GBitF! to the whole platoon and get the reroll. For a 15pt investment, you get MUCH more reliable orders for your infantry.

Personally, when I run an infantry firebase (when I am not rocking mech), I put a Vox in my CCS w/ a Standard, and I have Chenkov w/ a Vox in one of my PCS. Then merge two platoons around both the CCS and PCS giving them all Stubborn, reroll morale/orders

Would I ever put a Vox in every squad? Never, but in a few squads, they can be worth while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

is it worth having a re-roll making sure your entire order system isn't buggered up by 1 squad for a rather small points cost?.

yes it is in my opinion, there as cheap as hell anyway, people could argue that you could spend the points buying 10 more men, but that means you probably already have 100, and 110 is not going to make a difference really.

I always used them in the old codex, and I'll always use them no, nothing anyone can say could change my mind about them, there not expensive as some would claim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly @Ravendove, it's "To reap the benefits, ...", well seriously, why bother? Sorry, it just annoys me..

Secondly as for the purpose of the thread, I do believe vox casters can be worth it.. For standard squads without commisars you go from passing orders with a ~72% chance to ~92% now this might sound insignificant, but it'll help you getting orders in at critical times when you really need them, for instance GbitF just before a squad runs off the table. And as been said it's not like it costs a fortune to add the voxes..

Furthermore if you tune your army so that you know you'll be issuing say BiD to a squad with a lascannon every turn in every game, it'll be most cost efficient in terms of cost/hit when you use vox, even more so in combined squads.

For increased reliability I'll probably always take a vox for every 20 men in a platoon. Mostly beacuse I plan to combine into 20 man squads..

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Er, you can't claim something to be more expensive than it is. They are five points, people can't claim to be otherwise. But that said, assume you buy a vox for your Command Squad, two Platoon Commands and four Infantry squads. That's already 35 points. Many of those will be redundant, because you're not going to issue one order to every squad every turn.

You're effectively paying points for something that might get used at some point in the game. There is no certainty. Whereas if you use those 35 points to buy, say, a Sentinel: you know that Sentinel is going to be used, it will draw fire, protect your flank, harass the enemy, etc.

It's for this reason I think people are reluctant to take Vox casters. They have no discernable effect until they are actually needed. It all depends on how much value you place on receiving orders, as to whether they are worth it. If your strategy depends on getting as many 'First Rank Fire!, Second Rank Fire!' off as possible against your Horde opponent, then a few Voxes might well be a good idea. It's all relative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

539 (x8)

I think it boils down to what kind of player one is, do you want loads of meatshields or do you prefer giving them a little boost with carapace / voxes etc.

Personally i'm more of the latter: i feel that equiping them a little better yields results much higher than the points spend.

I don't believe the vox is for all players.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendove View Post
    Many of those will be redundant, because you're not going to issue one order to every squad every turn.
    who says? my force has 6 10 man squads, and all 6 can and will be taking orders from creed and 2 platoon commanders, does that mean there redundant?.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I use orders a lot in my games, and im a pretty poor roller, so the power to reroll the dice is a great help - it won me a game once! (squad about to run off, BitF failed, rerolled - YAY!)

also, 150 shots against a horde army is FANTASTIC!
    (Ive never played this, but i really want to!)
    For get your Mr T, John Mayer leaks pure awesomeness with every note he plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has been tried favorably against necrons as well. A squad of 40 conscripts killing lots of heavy stuff. Those guys won him the game

+ Reply to Thread