Why do high mech armies choose to shove veterens with lascannons in chimeras? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do high mech armies choose to shove veterens with lascannons in chimeras?

Wouldn't the chimera have to be still for the veteren to shoot? I can understand BS of 4 is hectic! I know it may seem a little.....noobish to ask this question but i really do have to ask it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Yes.
    The Chimera will have to be stationary in order to use any heavy weapon from the fire port.

Although I do not use Las Cannons, I do include Auto Cannons to add to the considerable fire power the Chimera can dish out.

I see a lot of mech armies rushing forward on Turn one to contest objectives and what not. I beleive that this is the wrong way to play Mech Guard.
    It is my opinion that a Chimera heavy mech army is better played as a static fire base for at least the first three turns, moving only to improve target options.
    Shooting multiple heavy weapons at range is the strength of the guard... even Mech Guard.

Objectives should only be contested during the late game, when your opponent has been weakened from sustained fire. The transports allow us to cover a lot of ground quickly, so their should be no reason to speed forward early in the game. We should never close with the enemy to allow them to engage us until we have the strength to repel them... or it is desperation time.

So, in summary, it is not a bad idea to include HW's on Mech Vets, but it would be stupid to include a HW if you are just gonna drive around all day.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Vet Squads with heavy weapons are intended to hold objectives and slug away while they do. If you take all special weapons, the squad has to get up close to the enemy to do damage. THis will hurt you if you are playing objective missions because uyou essential have to choose between killing or holding objectives.

I think the best option is to take vet squads with all special weapons and some vet squads with sepcial weapon and a heavy weapon. Just for the flexibility.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Chimerae are ineffective at antitank duties; therefore, if you are bringing a lot of them then the troops inside need to carry the big guns. Some bring meltas, some bring lascans, some bring both, some rely on other units (Demolishers, Devil Dogs) and my own simply bring the demolitions upgrade and die hilariously.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Do the squads inside the vehicle have to shoot at the same target the vehicle shoots at? I didn't think they had to (at least for transports) but I could probably use some clarification.

Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

No, they don't need to fire at the same targets, Buckero0. (Should be under the Fire Points entry in the BR.
    Space Marines: W15/L7/D3
    Imperial Guard: W6/L4/D0
    Daemonhunters: W4/L1/D1

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

I haven't done this yet, mainly because I can't see the value of buying a Heavy 1 I will only fire once, maybe twice in a game. This tactic would be useful mainly against armies against which you should castle up.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

+ Reply to Thread