Hellfire Shells or Missile Launchers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hellfire Shells or Missile Launchers

I really like the effect you can get from hellfire shells but is it something that you would only take when facing monstrous creatures? The Missile Launcher is the epitome of the jack of all trades master of none weapon, but fits nicely with a squad of snipers.

Anyone have any preferences, or is it just a situational thing for you?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

I generally favor the launcher. Even if you wound on a 2 the big monstrous creatures usually have 2+ armor anyway. The best army to use them against is probably nids since it at least has a higher chance to wound on upgraded fexes. 2+ wound vs C'Tans is really nice though and sniper teams are really good at taking them down!

The regular heavy bolter ammo is also good vs hordes in general but I personally rely on other units to thin them down like Whirlwinds.

So yeah... unless you're up against a really tough to wound critter, missile launcher wins n versatility imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

I prefer ML on Tactical and Devastator squads myself. I think the hellfire heavy bolter is the better option for Scouts. Since they have a guardsmans BS I would want a weapon with a large number of shots. Also, the fact they can use the small blast marker for the hellfire shot is nice. Couple that with a squad of snipers and you'll be in great shape.
    Last edited by Chirality; June 8th, 2009 at 22:41.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I always take HB, as I like the option of 3 shots or a blast, rather than one (admittedly the one is a lot more powerful than the 3, but scouts can't hit for toffee in my experience)
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

On BS 3 models, the choice is pretty easy. The hell fire blast weapon for MCs and normal shells for everything else.

Peace
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hellfire shells rock the socks of MLs, the only time i would have MLs is in tactical squads, but even then i would rather have a any of the the other heavy weapons
    faber est quisque fortunae suae. aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

I prefer the Heavy Bolter for much the same reasons as everyone else; BS3 is horribly bad, and thus not having to roll to hit is a good thing. Most of the time. I'm not particularly fussy about what I use it on either, since it will score a few kills on even heavy infantry provided it doesn't scatter a ridiculous distance. Considering how much my Tactical Squads miss with their missile launchers I think it'd be a soul-destroying ordeal to try and use one in a Scout squad without Telion.

+ Reply to Thread