Tactical Squads - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Squads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactical Squads

Hey guys I have yet to actually find a nice role for my tactical squads, so I'm looking for opinions instead!

So how do you run your tactical squads and what upgrades do you give them?

Do you make them mech, footsloggers, or drop podders?

And how do you use them in battle, what is your role for them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

well, theyre all rounders I suppose, you can use them to assault things, shoot things, hold objectives, distract things -- anything!

Normally I just use a missile launcher and any of the spec. weapons for a versatile role

dont make them too expensive though, over 200 without a transport is too much in my opinion
    For get your Mr T, John Mayer leaks pure awesomeness with every note he plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always make sure there with a rhino or drop pod, otherwise there useless.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I'm either suffering from severe deja-vu or I really have posted this already today...

10 men - Missile Launcher, Meltagun, CombiMelta+Powerfist, Razorback w/ Extra Armour. Expensive, but does the job and there's nothing they can't deal with.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

Ten marines, meltagun, multimelta, powerfist, combi-flamer, Rhino.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Ten Marines. Sgt. w/Power Fist, Flamer, ML. Combat squaded. Razorback (sgt + flamer).

or

Ten Marines, Sgt. w/Bolter, Plasma Gun, ML. Full squad. no transport. Home area objective.

Main use for generic tacticals is for their superior anti-infantry close range shooting. Supported by a small assaulting force (Assault Marines). If the enemy breaks the 18" bubble, they advance, rapid fire, and the supporting squad jumps in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

Rhinos always. In smaller games and with objectives I tend to leave a 5 man combat squad with missile launcher to guard it. The rest move up on the offensive. Rhinos make a great shield for assault units like jump pack marines. Combat squads in area terrain have decent survivability.

Tacs + Assault marines is the one two punch =)

There are some times where podding a squad of tacs on the enemy objective, if only to contest it a while can be super handy. They will die quickly without backup, however, so I will only do this if the pod is in reserve. (After drop pod assault or Blood Angels reserve.)

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Its always a good idea to have a transport for your tactical squads. Transports are cheap enough that its silly to not take them. The extra mobility is just too good to pass up.

I run my tact squads either:

Serg with powerfist (sometimes combi melta), meltagun, multimelta, drop pod or...
    Serg with powerfist, plasmagun, missile launcher and rhino or...
    Serg with powerfist, flamer, missile launcher and razorback (usually combat squaded)

~SR~
    Last edited by Shad0w_Reaper; June 9th, 2009 at 22:48.
    Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lascannons in a tactical squad are cheap points wise.

I usually have 1 plasma, 1 lascannon and put them in a rhino and drop a hunter/killer missile on it for first turn firepower.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

I typically take what I think looks sweet! Hence - multimelta!

And I don't like it when they get stuck in protracted hth, and just in case of wraithlords: Powerfists!

But seriously, it will always depend on the style of your army. My army was suffering for a lack of heavy infantry killers, so in my 1500 point Imperial Fists, one tactical squad is armed with:

Powerfist, Combi-plasma, Plasmagun, and plasma cannon.
    Rhino (these are my home base defenders, but can rush if needed instead).

The other tactical squad:

Powerfist, Flamer, Multimelta.
    Droppod.

The second tac squad are a late turn dropper - I have another drop pod, holding an ironclad, so the tactical squad tends to turn up around turn 3 (hopefully no earlier!) to grab an objective or two.

My other troops choices? Full scout squad (shotties, ccw/bp, powerfist), and full bike squad with flamer, meltagun, multimelta attack bike (or rather, the latter will be a troops choice as soon as I convert another commander, this dude on a bike).

I like to have variety, and the ability to react to different games/situations. I never tailor my army list when playing against different opponents, so I don't like the idea of razorbacks - if I ever want a heavily mobile full tactical squad, and often I do, I want to be able to transport them all around. You won't ever be able to do that with a razorback - to me, razorbacks are just not 'tactical' enough!!
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast