New to this stuff. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

New to this stuff.

So, building up a Renegade guard army, on which the motto is going to be "Keep Moving". Now, most people think full mech when they here this, that's not what I want. I would ideally like at least 50 men on the ground. But I don't want any heavy tanks. Nothing above AV 12. The main problem I'm having is that the tanks I like (Vendettas) are very expensive for an AV12 vehicle.

But anyway, I'm asking for you as a community to reccommend a list. I don't really want any saves better than 5+, no Ogryns or Ratlings, no Russes, lots of Hellhounds(And variants), and Vendettas, along with Artillery. I love Artillery. I'd like at least 3 or 4 pieces. I also love the order system, so an army that makes good use of them would be nice.

I'm really quite clueless when it comes to the Imperium. I could work the old codex. I'm so used to killing them (with 5 different chaos armies to date ), but I'm in love with (if anyone remembers the rather old white dwarf, from about EoT times) a regiment called the Highlanders. That's what I want my regiment to be like =].

My rough idea is:
    Company Command
    2 Infantry platoons with autocannons and flamers (about 6 infantry squads and 2 command groups)
    2 Devildogs
    2 Vendettas
    4 Griffons
    2 Hydras (yeah I like autocannons...)

Thoughts on that?

Thanks a tonne in advance! Any advice is welcome!

~{Archy}~

Last edited by Archnomad; June 18th, 2009 at 01:06.
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ
    Company Command with mortar and standard. 70

Troops
    Platoon Command, 3 GL, Chimers (ML+HF) 100
    Squad 1 Ac/GL 65
    Squad 2 Ac/GL 65
    Special weapon squad 2 flamer + Demo charge 65

Squad 1 Ac/GL 65
    Squad 2 Ac/GL 65
    Special weapon squad 3 flamer 50

Fast
    Vendetta + HB 140
    Vendetta + HB 140
    Devil Dog 125

Heavy
    2 Griffon 150
    2 Griffon 150
    2 Hydra 150

Total 1500

Here you are. The special weapon squads can travel in the vendettas. I only managed to fit one devil dog in there but if you wanted a 1750 point list there is easy enough room and you could considder some meltas or plasma guns on the infantry units or upgrade special weapon squads to veteran squads.
    Last edited by Mad Cat; June 19th, 2009 at 10:34.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the theme of a heavily equipped renegade army actually. What I can recommend is dropping the devil dogs which won't be of much use, some Griffons, and invest in plenty of plasma punch in your army especially if you regularly face MEQs. The plasma gun will take down most heavily armored infantry, whilst posing a threat to walkers and transports with the number of shots you can throw at them at a decent strength. This role may or may not be filled by your Hydras, depending on your opponent. If you do this, you could load up on hydras and bane wolfs. With the banewolf, all MEQ armies will tremble when they get too close, but watch out for terminators. At the very least they can force armour saves on ANY opponent. Last thing; spread out your anti-armour capability. 2 vendettas at AV12 with the rediculously high flying base ensures you will have no cover from your enemy's army, whilst being somewhat fragile unless you move flat out; which you don't want to do if their role is anti tank.

Good Hunting.

Imperator 100

Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    HQ
    Company Command with mortar and standard. 70

Troops
    Squad 1 Ac/GL 65
    Squad 2 Ac/GL 65
    Special weapon squad 2 flamer + Demo charge 65

Squad 1 Ac/GL 65
    Squad 2 Ac/GL 65
    Special weapon squad 3 flamer 50

Fast
    Vendetta + HB 140
    Vendetta + HB 140Devil Dog 125

Heavy
    2 Griffon 150
    2 Griffon 150
    2 Hydra 150

Total 1500

Here you are. The special weapon squads can travel in the vendettas. I only managed to fit one devil dog in there but if you wanted a 1750 point list there is easy enough room and you could considder some meltas or plasma guns on the infantry units or upgrade special weapon squads to veteran squads.

In addition to this at higher points values such as 1850 or 2000 you may want to consider adding in Creed since you like orders.
    Space Marines: W15/L7/D3
    Imperial Guard: W6/L4/D0
    Daemonhunters: W4/L1/D1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

i'd say for your 'keep moving' motto, griffons, or artillery/support vehicles in general are the opposite direction of that. i'd replace them for some veterans in chimeras. try to keep everything in your list themed more towards close ranged firefighting/combat.

and lastly, renegade guard and NO ogryns or rough riders!? but them forgeworld ogryns are just so hot while some converted up renegade guard riding chaos warhounds is just smexy as hell.

i mean, looking at the old Lost and the Damned list, ogryns would be fine because of the old Big Mutant units and standard leman russ tanks (though i know you don't want to use them) would work too, though i'd make them demolishers to keep that theme going. i can understand rough riders being a hard choice, while fluffy, them competing with hellhounds and such is a tough choice.

while vendettas/valkyries aren't too 'renegadey' as they're sort of a grey area between guard and imperial navy territory.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Griffons with the standard heavy mortar are not your typical sit back and shoot artillery.

Their shorter range, and 12" minimum range, requires them to move forward somewhat to get good indirect shots on the back section of the opponent's deployment zone, or across the board diagonally, where it's longer. And if an enemy gets in close, you can still try to shoot the heavy mortar at it, where a basilisk may be out of luck and defenseless.

This is why I like Griffons because you can get close to the enemy, keep them protected, and bombard the target with indirect heavy mortars. Let's say your two Chimeras full of veterans are tooled for armor busting (melta guns), and the opponent is a full squad of Chaos Terminators in heavy cover. Wouldn't you like a pair of Griffons bombarding them from the get-go, maybe taking a couple out before you go heroically to your deaths squirting bloody melta murder?

+ Reply to Thread