Vanguard squad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vanguard squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanguard squad

I'm trying to find some stuff to twik my Salamander army. I'm looking at adding a 5 man Vanguard vetean squad with lighting claws in a razeback with a chaplain in it.

Has anyone tryed this? Is it just a waste of points?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see the only way of getting your points worth out of vanguard is to use heroic intervention. Id never take jump packs of them, never.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

The consensus on vanguard is they are overpriced pointwise. There are much better options available, and everyone reports the sternguard are the way to go veteranwise. I dont have either yet, and to be honest i'm not overkeen on either set modelwise. But sternguard are very good thanks to their special issue ammunition.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

I use Sternguard exclusively over Vanguard. Full squad, combi-weapons, Drop pod/Rhino and given a little support can be quite devastating.

Vanguard, in my opinion, are not worth their points outside of Heroic intervention. I prefer using an Assault squad with a Chaplain in most circumstances where I need fast combat units.
    Last edited by Chirality; June 20th, 2009 at 22:44.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, was looking a the vangaurd because I was using my 3 elites for termys.

Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by MechMan View Post
    I see the only way of getting your points worth out of vanguard is to use heroic intervention. Id never take jump packs of them, never.
    I find this a bit contradictory.. You cannot deepstrike without jumppacks and you cannot use the intervention unless you deepstrike.. not untill planetstrike that is.. I agree that jumppacks are too expensive to be a competitive choice though..

At praxis and Chirality:
    Why suggest Sternguard to a guy obviously wanting a bit of a CC punch?

As for the purpose of the thread I haven't tried the exact combination, but as others mentioned Vanguard are rather expensive.. I'm not sure whether you intend to give each veteran 1 or 2 claws, but either way I understand it as that you want to give all the veterans weapons..

To me the only slight advantage the Vanguard might have to command squads is their number and that they have some relatively cheap ablative wounds for the models without good gears..
    This bonus is utterly destroyed by only taking 5 models and giving all CC weapons.. A command squad or an honour guard would do much better for the points for this.. Albeit I'm aware that you might not be able to field either of them since you chose a chaplain..

Finally I would put them in a rhino.. even though I love razors they're much more of a target and you really don't want the squad to end up footslogging, that's just my experience anyway..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah my bad, i mean id never lose the jumpacks : /

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea I had with the squad was to have a strong assault unit to run with my chaplain. 5 twin lighting claws that reroll to hit and wound sound good to me, thats why I was asking. I've played 1 game sense 3rd ed.

Edit: A strong one thats not a elite.
    Last edited by Monstein; June 20th, 2009 at 23:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a chapter master you could run a unit of honor guard. Then give them that banner. Which gives everyone near them extra close combat punch.
    May the Emperor forgive you, for his servants cannot.

Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by MechMan View Post
    Yeah my bad, i mean id never lose the jumpacks : /
    No lol, it's my bad.. I was the one misunderstanding you.. We don't share opinions on these guys though, as I'd never field them with jumppacks

Quote Originally Posted by Stratigo View Post
    If you have a chapter master you could run a unit of honor guard. Then give them that banner. Which gives everyone near them extra close combat punch.
    Sorry, but this is wrong, the combat boost of the banner only affects the unit itself. You must be thinking of Kantors Inpiring Presence which shares some similarities with the banner, and as you say, affects all nearby units..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast