Marbo in friendly games... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marbo in friendly games...

I've finally had a proper chance to try out some games with the new book over the past couple of weeks, and it came as a bit of surprise to both my regular opponent (a Blood Angels player) and I how much more effective the new list is. Particularly as I used to lose with the imperial guard against his 1000pt list in most games we played.

We played three games over the weekend (2 wins and a draw). Once Marbo popped up and killed himself and a single marine, another time he killed three assault marines, and then in the last game Marbo wiped out the chaplain and three death company.

I'm not looking for anyone to say that he deserves it because he's a space marine player, although after being on the receiving end of 3+ armour saves for so long that was my first reaction... The question is: does everyone find it fair to run Marbo in friendly games?

The point my opponent brought up was that Marbo doesn't rely on the tactical skill of the player. Obviously he doesn't. Its a xx pt investment for a demo charge that may or may not work. And also, there's nothing that can be done to defend against him. He just pops up, drops a bomb and dies. But at 1000pts if his demo charge hits the target then the game can be pretty much over (take the 200 and something point death company unit). What do you guys think?

Last edited by Viewmaster; June 22nd, 2009 at 10:11.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

shrug, i don't see why not to be able to use him, as from your examples, it's not like he's consistantly wrecking your opponent's units. if you like him in your list, keep him.

but if it's a friendly game, it could be courteous to your friend to just leave him out if it's causing him that much grief, an opponent's enjoyment of the game is a factor to the overall atmosphere of the game.

or could just tell him he could always look into buying an allied inquisitor w/ 2 mystics for half the price of marbo to dissuade you from DS'ing near units he wants spared.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Don't have my codex with me right now, but I believe Marbo doesn't deepstrike, so the Inq/mystics would not work with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm yeah Marbo doesn't deep-strike. It just says when he becomes available from reserve he may be placed over 1" from the opponent.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. You're right that he's not consistently killing my opponents army. His kill tally really isn't that great with the exception of the death company. I think it was more that the marines would be behind cover avoiding a Leman Russ shot and then Marbo would pop up and throw a demo charge, denying any saves, cover etc and there was no way to defend against that or protect an expensive squad.

I was just asking to find out if anyone else had similar thoughts about Marbo, or if he was generally accepted as a viable tactic. But considering the opponents enjoyment of the game is a factor I might just leave him out for a while.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

I've had some very mixed success with Marbo. Sometimes he'll use the Demo charge to great effect, sometimes he'll blow himself up. Either way, he'll die very soon after appearing. But for xx pts, why not? At the very least he will be an annoying distraction for one enemy turn, at most he'll cause some very serious damage indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

As mentioned before, Marbo may or may not be effective with in a game. Either way, your opponent will sweat every turn before he arrives.
    After a while, your friends will get tired of Marbo popping up to dump his Demo... I would.

Personally, I think that Marbo is great and I would definitely include him in my army IF I played Catachans. But I don't, so I will not.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Marbo

Oh come on guys. This is a change to use Sly Stallone, ahem I mean a generic hero, in games of 40k. Marbo is the ultimate hunter type character. Massive damage dealing potential and yet almost no resilience. He appears and then either kills himself or gets shredded by anything more powerful than a sneeze.

Well, perhaps at least a sneeze from a big person, you know at least as big as a regualr nine year old.

Marbo is hugely entertaining and has the potential to really mess up your opponents battle plan. The fact that nothing is immune to his demo pack charms is also a lot of fun. It's just a shame that he can't be cloned...

I think he also gives you some superb modelling opportunities. Any model that is only going to spend a single turn on the table deserves all of the attention he can get. After all the dice gods do approve of well painted warriors and you may find his demo pack scatters better when he is superbly painted up and modelled.

As for the losses. I think it is interesting that he appears to kill only slightly more points than he is worth on average. At least going by the first poster here.

I suppose it would be a bit different if he turned up and blew the snot out of your main battle tank or vapourised you tricked out unit of terminators...

I'm all for him. I know that I have made a note to self to include him in every IG army I ever build.

Has anyone got to use his pistol yet, It has great stats but I always seem to use the demo pack.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarahemna View Post
    Has anyone got to use his pistol yet, It has great stats but I always seem to use the demo pack.
    I have, and it's good. and his ability to wound on a 2+ in melee helps.
    You jump back, out of combat using hit and run, shoot with the pistol, and re-charge.
    The only problem with him is he has no power weapon.
    And tends to keel over with attention - attacking him in melee is far better than shooting at him.
    I too have a elite slot that says elite slot-Marbo.
    He is a little bit random though.

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Another fun trick is to turbo boost straken down field and make sure marbo is placed w/in 12" when he arrives. A fc/ca capable marbo is glorious.

As an aside, I thought hit n run could only be used after the combat was over, I.e. everyone got to strike, not after marbo strikes? Or is it once his I group (I have no dex's on hand he's what I5?) has gone? Like I said I'm at work and have no dex handy, but if he can bounce out of cc after making his attacks, thatld make him more awesome.
    If you win games against Nids with flamers (aside from the Inferno Cannon on a Hellhound), you're playing against opponents with stupidity of impressive magnitude.

~ Sokhar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I see it, the tables have been turned on those who have been for years enjoying having units that would slaughter through the guards easily. Years of having to deal with the deepstriking all terminators list, the godzilla list, the 3 monolith of doom, and so on. So the guards now have playable heros and other players are already complaining about them.
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast