Medusa vs Vendetta - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Medusa vs Vendetta

I am constructing a Mech Guard army that includes 6 Chimers for 1500pts.
    The Vet squads (5 of them) are anti-infantry and I will include up to 3 anti-tank vehicles (in addition to melta CCS).

At the moment I intend to include 2x Bastion Breaker Medusa's and a Vendetta.

I would like a bit of feed back on the Medusas. Are they better than/worse than the Vendetta?

These are the only two options that I am considering due to similar point cost and fluff... rapid response and all.

So let me know your thoughts.

It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

I would heartily support three vendettas - Medusa's don't have a speck on them.
    They really do deserve all the hype and exploding with exitement gibberish that was smeared everywhere before the IG dex.
    Looking at planetstrike however I am thinking about artillery
    (why you ask, your opponent appears everywhere?)
    Well, you as the defender choose how many buildings there are, thus you as the defender choose how many objectives there are.
    you pick 3x no denied flanks (opponent can't appear from a board edge - your choice) leaving him with a short edge, having deployed your army appropriately.
    (appropriately includes 3x inquisitors with pairs of mystics btw for deep striker deterrents)
    Thenh hammer the bejeezus out of them at range.
    Just a musing, just a musing.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

depends on how many land raiders you face. Medusa bastion breachers are very strong against high armor vehicles (you don't have to roll to hit either). Much better than lascannons that you'll probably only shoot 1 of. The advantage of the vendetta is that it can come in from the board edges, move fast and comes with extra armor. It can also transport troops and is probably a bit cheaper on points.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Go with 3 medusas, with just 1 vandetta you have 1 high flying, outflanking high threat low armour unit in range and line of sight of pretty much all of your enemies guns. If you take medusas they can stay back with the chimeras, make much better use of cover, frag enemies from outside their range.

Then what if you face a list with 2-3 land raider sized vehicles, the vandettas will have trouble taking them out. Go with the highest strength allowed outside of apocalypse, melta rule at it's full range +1 on the damage chart pownage. Nothing will survive a hit from bastion brreakers.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

I actually have been pondering a similar situation in my vet army. I decided I'm going to try and drop my one static LC toting vet squad for a medusa with ecc. That coupled with 2 outflanking vends and 4 turbo boosting valks should round out my at /ap ability. Still need to play test it though. Ill let ya know how it fares
    If you win games against Nids with flamers (aside from the Inferno Cannon on a Hellhound), you're playing against opponents with stupidity of impressive magnitude.

~ Sokhar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

It´s a pretty close race at the moment. Rep all.

The Vendetta has the speed range and can take more damage but the Medusa is, for all intents and purposes, more potent against enemy armour.

Can anyone bang out some Math Hammer to compare the two?
    It would literally take me all day to come up with the wrong math.

There´s some Rep in it for ya!
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Reasons to take Medusa:

All 3 Fast Attack Slots already full of Vendettas.

?

/shrug

Mathhammering them would be outrageously complicated. The problem is the blast rules. The actual odds of hitting with the medusa depend on how large the target is and where you place the marker!

It comes down to 1 shot vs 3 imo. The Vendetta is more likely to hit and get a roll on the damage table AT ALL. Which at bare minimum silences the target's guns next turn. Medusa will only come out ahead on large, high armor, non-monolith targets (Land Raiders and Battle Wagons.)

With no barrage, side armor 10, and a 45 degree arc of fire, I think protecting the Medusa is harder than has been asserted.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

You could consider going without either of them, reason being a medusa wont realy do anything better than a demolisher. And since you are playing a mobile army, you are going to be the one doing most of the moving. The medusas are going to be sitting in your deployment zone lobbing shells at things, making them easy prey for deepstrikers and outflankers which are pretty common in a competative setting. If you have a demolishers, than it can at least be running at the same pace as the armored squads so your force wont be scattered all over the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Demolishers are not an option due to their higher points cost. The cheaper A-T options of the Vend. or Med. allow me to spam Troop choices.

Medusa's gain the ability to fire on the move with the BB round, so they are just as mobile as the Chimera's.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma Catcher View Post
    Demolishers are not an option due to their higher points cost. The cheaper A-T options of the Vend. or Med. allow me to spam Troop choices.

Medusa's gain the ability to fire on the move with the BB round, so they are just as mobile as the Chimera's.
    Medusa can fire its normal rounds on the move up to 6", but it is the only weapon that can be fired. Only with ordnance barrage does the vehicle have to remain stationary.

note; on LR lumbering behemoth trumps the "ordnance only" rule allowing one other weapon to be fired.
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast