Expanding my Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expanding my Army

I am a relatively-new Space Marine player. I have already played a few battles and am looking for a Heavy Support unit. Which is the best value? I was thinking of getting a Thunderfire Cannon, but maybe someone has a better idea. Does anyone know of a very effective SM heavy support unit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

It partly depends on the rest of your army and also if you often face particular types of armies (for example Whirlwinds are a good choice of you often fight horde armies). Can you tell us more about your army?

Aside from that, 'Dakka' Predators (autocannon & HB sponsons) are usually considered to be great for the points, and Vindicators are always useful (and scary). The Thunderfire cannon isn't used all that often, as I think most people believe that there are more effective choices for the points.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, depends on the rest of your army, what you want the heavy support to do, who youre up against...

As said before the predator is a nice addition, and Autocannon +2 Heavy Bolters is nice for the points. If you want pure anti tank it can also take some fairly expensive lascannons instead. We would need to know a bit more to advise you though ^^

My first unit of Heavy Support was Devestors, as they are cheap (£ wise) for the fact they can be made to do nearly any job. I would personally not go for em for first heavy support though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

What kind of armies do you play against?

Value-wise, a Dakka Predator or Whirlwind are very good choices. If you want a tank that has good front armor and weaponry to spearhead an armored advance then the Vindicator will do nicely. It'll definitely grab your opponents attention and may reduce the amount of fire to other, more vulnerable units.

Otherwise, proxy in a Thunderfire cannon for a few games and see how you like it. I've read almost nothing but good things about them on these boards, particularly against horde or units susceptible to dangerous terrain tests.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expanding my Army (continued)

First, thank you for responding to my question. My army consists of:

1 Captain
    1 Chaplain
    2 Tactical Squads
    1 Scout Squad w/ snipers
    1 Terminator Squad
    1 Bike Squad w/ Attack Bike
    1 Assault Squad

I have three friends I play against most often. One collects Orks, another Tyranids, and the third Tau.
    Again, thank you for the help.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Then I would go with a whirlwind - against your usual opponents that pie plate will make a big mess of their troops.

IIRC you get the top plate of the Rhino too, so if you don't stick the top of the whirlwind on you can make a Rhino if push came to shove.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

256 (x4)

I agree. A Whirlwind or two lobbing pie plates onto their forces will do nicely. And, as mentioned in the previous post, paint up the Rhino hatch and you can switch between a Rhino or Whirlwind depending on your needs.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Were Whirlwinds a bit crap before? Because I'm having a lot of trouble working out why I didn't buy any in 5 years of spending ALL my cash on models...
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirality View Post
    Otherwise, proxy in a Thunderfire cannon for a few games and see how you like it. I've read almost nothing but good things about them on these boards, particularly against horde or units susceptible to dangerous terrain tests.
    Since you are facing mostly horde armies with lower saves, the Thunderfire cannon can be brutal. i've managed to vaporize 27 Ork boyz, 15 guardsman, entire swarms of gaunts in a single volley, (unfortunately not all at the same time.) the units were wonderfully clumped and my scatter rolls were insane and it actually made me feel bad but it gives you an idea what a single cannon can do and it also gives a bolster to some cover as an added bonus.

Other than that the whirlwind is the other choice i would pick for facing hordes and the versatility of having a Rhino aswell if needed. all of my rhinos are set up with removable hatches so they can be razorbacks, whirlwinds or rhinos as the list dictates.
    "There is a fine line between genius and insanity"
    (>'.' )> (^ '.' )> <( '.' )> <( '.' ^)<( '.'<)
    I have sadly passed that line o.0?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    Were Whirlwinds a bit crap before? Because I'm having a lot of trouble working out why I didn't buy any in 5 years of spending ALL my cash on models...
    I don't recall you ever having many vehicles though, mech marines didn't seem to be your style.

I faced a thunderfire a little while back while playing chaos but it wasn't all that effective against mech/meq, I could imagine the difficult terrain test inducing shots would annoy the hell out of jump infantry though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast