When to stop building an army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: maximum number of points

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2000pts or less

6 11.54%
  • 3000pts or less

15 28.85%
  • 4000pts or less

7 13.46%
  • 5000pts or less

7 13.46%
  • more then 5000pts, (specify)

17 32.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When to stop building an army

just want to know when ppl think is the time to stop building an army with so many points because it would become so boring and too time consuming, not to mention less ppl to fight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted 5,000+ because I honestly believe you should stop building it when you stop enjoying it. No fun in having loads of models if you don't enjoy the army I mean you can always pick and choose which models you wanna use when you have a game with someone with a smaller army while being able to play bigger games.

So yeah I guess my answer is to me, points are irrelevant, as long as I enjoy the army I'm playing I'll have no reason to stop building mah modelz ^^ 'Course, that has meant I've got a couple of 200 point armies sitting around

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, i dont think one ever stops building an army. but if youre after the answer i think youre looking for, id say enough points and models to play every combination in the codex.

pretty definite answer aye?

but yeh, into more depth. i dont think anyone should just aim for a points limit, collect till the limits reached. my philosophy has always been settle on a smallish list (1000 pts odd), build and play it, then add as i see fit. its a slow process but at least you learn about the entire as you gradually go through every combination of units you like.

then theres the other part of building an army, and thats collecting for the sake of collecting. im personally going through getting every DH and WH inquisitor made by GW and FW, as well as all the henchmen. most of em will never get a game but i still guess its army building in a sense.

so yeh, thats what i reckon. enjoy!
    When in doubt, more Bloodcrushers

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

My Blood Angel army will only be 'finished' once I've got a complete company complete, including at least one of each squad. And even then I'll add to it as new models get released or I realise I want a squad with a specific combination of weaponry.

Basically keep collecting until you've got everything you could ever want to field!
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

You're done only when you have all the units you want to play with. Points add up fast for the Inquisition armies, so you can quickly end up with several thousand points and still not have "everything". That's my current state. I have something over 4000 pts worth of Inquisition, but I don't own any ISTs, I don't have any basic Sisters units, I've always wanted more terminators....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

I think I have about 3500pts of Daemonhunters, with Grey Knights and GK vehicles alone accounting for about 2500pts of that, plus another 1250pts-ish of Sisters and some random WH Inquisitor henchmen (a couple of Chirurgeons, a Dialogus and a Penitent Witch), as well as 3 Death Cultists, a Vindicare, an (heavily-used) Eversor, a Callidus, and 3 Daemonhosts. I've only ever fielded more than 3000pts once and it was a bit of a disaster, purely because Daemonhunters simply don't scale as well with points as some other armies; the army list is restrictive and doesn't contain a great deal of options, so at 3000pts you tend to find that as a DH player (and a pure GK one especially) you've simply got a little bit more of the same stuff as you had at 2000pts while your opponent is able to increase the versatility of his army. WH and Sisters are a far more potent force above 2250pts because they have a lot of utility units (Repentia, Dominions, etc) that you simply can't afford to squeeze in at 1000-2000pts, yet which are good at higher points levels where they're more likely to survive and contribute.

I think the reason for this is because the Daemonhunters were designed primarily as an Allies Codex, to give SM and IG players some tools to use to counter the small Daemonic contingent that a lot of 3rd Ed CSM armies contained. That's why a properly-geared Daemonhunters army is death incarnate against most Daemon army lists (3 LRs and a couple of Chimeras with Psycannon Bolts can pretty much wipe out everything as soon as it lands) and they regularly perform well against MEQs, yet come a bit unstuck against the likes of Orks and Tyranids. The Witch Hunters had been around a lot longer, in the form of Sisters of Battle, and as such got a more well-rounded Codex with a lot more depth.

So... yeah. In answer to the question I don't really think there's any upper limit to how many models you collect, as long as the hobby is still fun you just keep on keepin' on, but once you start getting into 2500+pts territory as a Daemonhunters player it might be time to consider adding some inducted Guard models to the collection.

EDIT: ... if you play competetively. If you just want a big fat fluffy Daemonhunters army then just keep buying and painting. Just be aware that they're underwhelming at anything over 2250-25000pts, and definitely don't take them to an Apocalypse game (the Force Org Chart might well go out of the window but all the usual restrictions remain in place, meaning you're only allowed 0-1 vanilla GK Hero and 0-1 vanilla Inquisitor Lord :-o ).
    Last edited by Frank Fugger; June 23rd, 2009 at 19:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Frank is a mind reader. I've around 2000pts but am going to call it quits on my pure GKs at 2500. Started sisters and aiming at a similer number with inducted IG and =][= units being my last inclusion to go 3000pts+.

My Eldar however stands at around 5000pts but will level out at around 10,000 with all things said and done.

PL
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

I find it hard to put a real number on that one. I've got between 2000-2500pts of WH, DH, and IG each. I'm not done with any of them. I still want a few more LR's, more russes, more SoB's and rhino/immolators. I'd love to have 9Pen Engines...

you stop when you run out of ideas for interesting armies. I think that with =I= and IG, that won't end for me, and that's only 3 armies.

I've never been a fan of looking up a list online, and collecting ONLY that 1500pts of stuff, then only having 1 list to play. I like options too much.
    check out Farmpunk's blog:
    the Back 40k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm... it really depends for me, for my side armys (Orks, Space Marines, Dwarfs) I collect about 2000 points, or try to at least, for my main, and favorite army though (IG) I've collected about 3250 points so far, and am always adding more, granted I have two completely different regiments. I personally just love seeing a huge, well modeled fully painted army sitting out on my shelf, It just pleases me to no end.

By the way, this would be great in the "general" forum
    Iske 12th Rangers (IG) (1500 pts) (W/L/D) 25-43-2 Da Dakkad Dizzy Deff Skullz (1500 pts) 1-0-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

I don't think there is a specific limit for me. I build gradually my army, and stop when I think I have enough. At this very moment, I don't even have my nominal 1500 pnt army
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast