Medi-Packs: When and Why? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Medi-Packs: When and Why?

So just picked up the new codex and noticed a lot of great changes. However, and with good reason, some things are prohibitively expensive so that they are not auto-includes.

One such item was the medi-pack. Feel No Pain is awesome, and substantially better than the old medi-pack boon. However, at 30pts it's rather expensive to protect a rather squishy unit.

My question is when would you find the cost worth it to protect your CCS or PCS? I'm thinking if it's a decked out CC counter-charging unit or if I have special characters I'd at least start considering it. But if I'm using it just as an order-giving unit with a heavy/special weapon or two to provide minor fire support I'll most likely not include it.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a recent thread on the medi pack a little furhter down. Many people dont seem to think its worth the price.

I use my CCS as a counter assault squad, often with carapace armor. It does make the squad expensive but I have survived a lot of shooting at those guys. They hang aroung my home objective helping hold the line and then counter charge a squad that gets attacked if its still locked in close combat. Works pretty good for me. I dont give a medi pack to a PCS though as I think that is the breaking point for me on the points cost. Having a medi pack in a CCS also helps keep your advisors alive longer.

As you stated though if I built my CCS as simply a stand there and give orders squad I probably wouldnt waste the points on it. As mine are expected to get their hands dirty I find it useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

for ccs:
    i think camo-cloaks are the only 'protective' upgrade worth giving to a ccs outside of putting them straight in a chimera, though mounting them up negates use of their reg standard.
    its also more than likely going to utilized a lot more since we tend to hug the cover everywhere, while medipacks get negated half the time from heavy weapons or the medic simply dying early.
    i also already have all my guys holding something else what with the standard, vox, and 2 special weapons in my squads so i don't want to 'overburden' one of them with a medi-pack as well.

for pcs:
    they don't really need medipacks simply as they're dirt cheap units and giving them one almost doubles their cost, there's nothing about them that really needs that protection anyways aside from the las-storm order and that's solvable as it only requires them to be within 6" of the target friendly unit so you can keep them in the back and as out of view as possible.
    they're usually not as high priority as a pcs anyways, who's anti-tank order and standard that allows re-roll failed morale tests are much more annoying to the enemy.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Certs View Post
    for ccs:
    i think camo-cloaks are the only 'protective' upgrade worth giving to a ccs outside of putting them straight in a chimera, though mounting them up negates use of their reg standard.
    its also more than likely going to utilized a lot more since we tend to hug the cover everywhere, while medipacks get negated half the time from heavy weapons or the medic simply dying early.
    i also already have all my guys holding something else what with the standard, vox, and 2 special weapons in my squads so i don't want to 'overburden' one of them with a medi-pack as well.

for pcs:
    they don't really need medipacks simply as they're dirt cheap units and giving them one almost doubles their cost, there's nothing about them that really needs that protection anyways aside from the las-storm order and that's solvable as it only requires them to be within 6" of the target friendly unit so you can keep them in the back and as out of view as possible.
    they're usually not as high priority as a pcs anyways, who's anti-tank order and standard that allows re-roll failed morale tests are much more annoying to the enemy.
    Certs pretty much summed it up perfectly. If you want a 'protective' upgrade I would say that camo-cloaks or carapace armour are your best options. The mdeipack is hardly used do to the amount of heavy weapon fire the CCS takes. Also for 30pts you can get a decent amount of special weapons instead of taking the medipack.

+ Reply to Thread