thoughts on thunderfire cannons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thoughts on thunderfire cannons?

Now I've played warhammer for years, and have recently finished a mech eldar army, and now i'm lookinog for something that can pack more of a punch, take more of a hit, and is more well rounded, so i've pretty much settled on marines, and one thing that i found quite intriguing was the Thunderfire Cannon, now I've realized you do get it for only 25 points, but still a tech marine on his own isnt all too great. so i was wondering what your guys thoughts and opinions on the matter of thunderfire V no thunderfire were?
    thanks in advance

Tj

Death to the Alien!
    who likes cockroaches anyway.
    Ordos Xenos 4/0/3

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

oh, the things it does to Tyranids.....

seriouly, I would get one if your going against horde armies. Not to sure about MEQs, but its bound to hurt something
    For get your Mr T, John Mayer leaks pure awesomeness with every note he plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

Against horde armies it's terrific. Against MEQ you can unload all kinds of fun onto units like jump infantry that are vulnerable to difficult terrain tests.

In addition, the Techmarine can use the Bolster Defences ability too.
    Last edited by Chirality; June 24th, 2009 at 17:09.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

I've never used one myself, but on paper they look pretty frickin' smart. I particularly like the look of the Tremor shell, whatever it's called. Also, you have to consider that the Techmarine you get with the Thunderfire only loses his Independent Character and Omnissiah special rules while he's piloting the Cannon, which means he can still Bolster Defences before the game starts.

One thing I wonder about them though; does the TFCannon count as an Artillery unit? If so then they're an even better buy; with the way hits are randomised against Artillery the gun is much more likely to eat it than the Techie is, and when the gun DOES eat it you have yourself a free Techie with Servo-Harness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is horribly good against swarm type armies. Against mechanized you have the option of the tremor shell. Also, a str X blast weapon is never bad against MEQs.
    Ave Dominus Nox!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Being a Dark Eldar player I absolutely hate the thing.

It erases one troop choice per turn until I can do something about it. Sure, I can throw some lances at it but the 3+ cover save would mean I would have to concentrate fire on it instead of other more threatening units.

I like what it offers and think SM players are crazy if they don't take one. To bad it can't be placed in a dawn of war game but I could live with a turn without firing.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"the Techmarine you get with the Thunderfire only loses his Independent Character and Omnissiah special rules while he's piloting the Cannon, which means he can still Bolster Defenses before the game starts."

Interesting! But he cannot repair damaged vehicles while attached to the Thundefire, yes?

~R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've played against it as IG, and it was a huge pain. It had a 3+ cover save and could ignore my cover? Get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there wicked played against one with my raven gaurd, took 2 turns to get in assault as i opted to walk instead of die. Against fast armies its a killer giving more time to shoot hardes etc i'm thinking 3 in 1250 list lol take that ork horde, one tremor shot then other 2 pump ignore cover rounds lol should slow advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, if it is artillery, does that mean hits are randomized, because that would be win lose situation, one krak missile could bust it without me getting a save, but then i could have my techmarine running after my land raider, but my only hassle with it is the one wound 2+ save ): kinda sucks,, and can i sit a master od the forge on it? that'd be good.?
    Death to the Alien!
    who likes cockroaches anyway.
    Ordos Xenos 4/0/3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast