A few questions regarding the new codex.. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few questions regarding the new codex..

I've been on the army list thread, posted, recieved very useful feedback but still have some general questions.

Can a SM Captain in terminator armor take a relic blade, and if so how much does it cost? (can he have a storm shield too?)
    same above but with digi weapons.
    Does upgrading to an epistlory add anything other than the ability to use 2 force powers a turn? (not that it isnt a bloody useful upgrade)
    Does a land raiader used as an extended transport count towards your heavy suppory choice?
    Are vanguard veterans as unuseful as everyone keep implying? i have a squad of 9 in a rhino, led by my libarian, with 3 p/w's and StormS's, a plasma pistol and a thunder hammer, yet everyone suggests cutting down the group, turning into a command squad for the libarian or just not including it?
    thoughts and advice are always appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x1)

Can a SM Captain in terminator armor take a relic blade, and if so how much does it cost? (can he have a storm shield too?)
    - I'm going to say no, you cannot because it sais you are replacing his wargear to gain Terminator Armour, a Power Weapon and a Storm bolter. From there, it list things you may replace those last two weapons with. If he is in TA, you may take a SS yes, but you are replacing the Power Weapon with it. I can't give you the points, you'll have to look that up yourself.

- Yes. Digital Weapons can be taken regardless of what armour you are in.

Does upgrading to an epistlory add anything other than the ability to use 2 force powers a turn? (not that it isnt a bloody useful upgrade)
    - No, but technically now you can use 1 power a turn, and use your force weapon, giving you more diversity in the game.

Does a land raiader used as an extended transport count towards your heavy suppory choice?
    - Only if you are taking them as Dedicated Transports for 1 Terminator Squad, or 1 Terminator Assault Squad.

Are vanguard veterans as unuseful as everyone keep implying? i have a squad of 9 in a rhino, led by my libarian, with 3 p/w's and StormS's, a plasma pistol and a thunder hammer, yet everyone suggests cutting down the group, turning into a command squad for the libarian or just not including it?
    - By that point there, you mind as well take Terminators Assaults squads because your paying less points for them, and have a more survivability. However, Vanguard can be useful for those extra power weapons, but i wouldn't keep them with a Librarian then, I would probably pop them with a Chaplain, to give the LoH to them on the charge, make them even better.
    Check out Double Edged Painting blog for more information on commissions and work in progress

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool_Marine View Post
    I've been on the army list thread, posted, recieved very useful feedback but still have some general questions.

He can't take a relic blade, but he can take a storm shield, as its listed under the terminator options. He can take digi weapons as normal. Also, please don't ask for points.

Nope. Thats all it does.

What do you mean by extended transport? All Land Raiders not taken as a transport option by Terminators or Terminator Assault Squads count as a heavy support choice.

thoughts and advice are always appreciated!
    Vanguards are seen as overpriced. You don't seem to get much bang for your buck, while command squads are significantly better. For 10pts less you get the same thing minus the power weapon, but with feel no pain. They are more versatile in terms of options and can get a company champion for the cost of a power weapon, which makes the unit 5pts more than a 5 man vanguard unit, but exactly the same but with extra FnP and the "sarge" in the command squad having a 6+ inv save.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

To be honest I'd just take artificer armor instead of the TDA. Same armor save and it's cheaper. You just won't have the ability to teleport. That way you can use the Relic blade and give him a storm shield if you like. Digital weapons are always good if you have the points.

I think the above posters have pretty much summed up the other questions. There has been a lot of debate over Vanguard and Command squads. Personally, I like the Command squad for FNP, the Company champion, can be tooled for shooting or assault, and they have the option to be mounted on bikes.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

#1 no he can't but he can have a Storm shield. This when I advertise artificer armour so you can have both (technically all three since digi-weapons can be taken by either art or termy.)

#2 I actually couldn't find anything about the epistolary in the new dex, but I guess it allows you to use 2 powers a turn.

#3 LR's that are taken as a dedicated transport for terminators dont take up heavy support slots.

#4 Van guard have their uses, like putting shrike with em and infiltrating it. Or Khan as your HQ and outflanking them. With those 2 HQ's are the only time I'd use V-guard. As I prefer things like sternguard and terminators for the points they fill.

BTW did you know you can field 9 iron clad dreads in a game of planet strike?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

......9? Isn't that slight overkill? Good if uve got the money and the dreadnaughts. Never really played any of the additions to 40k since Ive been interested mainly in converting and painting until now. Anyone got the time to sum up the extended versions of 40k breifly, if they've got the time and perhaps which was they're fav. Cheers for all help btw... My ideas of a decent sm force are altering for the better! Blood for the blood god!!!! No... what? wait, no I feel as if I've made a mistake. Booyah for the emperor? Burn Things With More Than 2 Limbs Or Weird Skin Tones? Blame e erything on chaos? I like that.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool_Marine View Post
    Firstly, Librarians can't have command squads... only Captains (but not Chapter Masters for some reason).
    Secondly, if your Vanguard are in a Rhino then you're doing it wrong - you can't assault from a Rhino! They should either have Jump Packs, or ride in a Land Raider. I love my Vanguard, they chop xenos up nicely - but I'd drop the Plasma Pistol entirely, as they're too expensive to lose to a Gets Hot! roll.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    Firstly, Librarians can't have command squads... only Captains (but not Chapter Masters for some reason).
    Secondly, if your Vanguard are in a Rhino then you're doing it wrong - you can't assault from a Rhino! They should either have Jump Packs, or ride in a Land Raider. I love my Vanguard, they chop xenos up nicely - but I'd drop the Plasma Pistol entirely, as they're too expensive to lose to a Gets Hot! roll.
    Cheers mate, thats actually incredibly useful. Unfortunatly, im out of date with the rulebook, and have models for my army from previous buys, so my army is in a way constricted, and my knowledge slight until i buy the new ruleboob. Basically... that was incredibly useful, thankyou! i have a 6 man term squad, and a land raider. A land raider cruisader/redeemer could be a nice addition

+ Reply to Thread