Opinion on Special Characters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinion on Special Characters

Personally, i find that special characters are thrilling and looking at all the fluff on armies is always brought out by a personality too. I think Telion is perhaps the best special character ive seen, first since hes an addition to a squad (+ chronos), also because its like having a second in commands and is quite flexiable for character of the chapter.
    However, looking at lots of threads it seems like a hella of a lot of people are taking them, which kinda seems to take the point of them being special?
    So, which is better:
    a quite well converted chaptain, with a good bback story? or a kitted out special character who everyone recognises?
    Also, does anyone think the special characters should be a little heavier point wise but also slightly beffier, or no? dont mind which way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

IMO, make up a model with the wargear stated in the special character profile, and use him as a 'Counts As' with your own fluff.

A very simple example, take the Veteran with twin lightning claws, give him a jump pack, and you have a Counts As Shrike! =)

This way, you get the bonuses of the SC, while having something unique just for your army!

HTH

CR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Personally I hate the current breed of special characters (IG included). I will admit to having a major liking for special characters around the start of 3th edition and would quite often field Calgar/Tigurias etc. in my Ultramarine army. However that soon got boring when I realised how much fun creating your own characters history is. So I pretty much got fed up of special characters and paid no attention to them in 4th ed.

However with the new type of character that gives your army an advantage there is way too much focus on them (imo ). Ill admit that there is lot more benefit in taking Cassius instead of a normal chaplain for xx points more because he is better and its hard to argue with that logic. (an example someone used to me when I was arguing about special characters).
    What annoys me is strange looking things like Kantor turning up in Ultramarine lists and Calgor turning up in anything besides UM lists (I mean come on how many ''only one pair in existance'' powerfists with bolters are there in the galaxy?)

You could always have the best of both worlds and use Cleanrabbits example. And to be honest Id have a hard time sticking to my own logic-most of them are just too good not to take.
    Currently play: 4000+ of Black Legion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, thats kinda what i think.
    I love the warhammer special characters, mainly because they have more of an excuse to be overused.
    But in 40k, they are supposed to be only 1 Chapter Master, for each chapter, in the entire universe, and calgus manages, somehow, to fight off the armies of the empire roughly every 5 secs with a different opponent.
    Special characters are awesome, and can make an ordinary game something much more.
    Outside of that, id rather be a captain of 8th company anyday.
    To be a hypocrite though, i do think telion is absolutly wicked in everyway, but thats just cos hes a superscout.
    ----------
    Quote Originally Posted by CleanRabbit View Post
    IMO, make up a model with the wargear stated in the special character profile, and use him as a 'Counts As' with your own fluff.

A very simple example, take the Veteran with twin lightning claws, give him a jump pack, and you have a Counts As Shrike! =)

This way, you get the bonuses of the SC, while having something unique just for your army!

HTH

CR
    well, ive stated my preference, but i do think your idea is absolutly quality, and does enrice the world of warhammer 40k tenfold as it were. Could be seeing a convereted telion on here at some point. But, cant use him all the time otherwise id be the critic of my own critisism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

While I do love the special characters, particularly Vulkan as he belongs to the chapter I play, I find it much more enjoyable to use a vanilla HQ and give them some background. SC's lend a certain flavor to an army, and I'll use them from time to time, but mostly for a diversion from my normal play.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

+ Reply to Thread