going from 500 - 1000 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

going from 500 - 1000

Hello,

I have finbished the inital part of my hit and run tactic space marines, based on Kayvaan Shrike.

I currently have

Chaplain mounted on a bike

Assualt Marines
    + jet packs
    + 1 ligtning claw

Attack bikes x 2
    + Multi Melta

Scout Squad x 5
    + Camo Cloaks
    + 4 Sniper rifels
    + 1 missle launcher

Tactical Squad + Sergant
    standrad bolt guns

This amounts to around 500 with add ons etc, but dont have my definitive list to hand.
    Im looking at expanding thi sto a 1000 point army using the same tactics, i currently have Shrike and his wing made up painted etc ready to go but due to there extremelly high point cost was hoping to leave them out till aroun 2000 point games once im ready

as i use hit and run i was thinking

drop pod + tactick squads / terminator squad
    Land Speeders
    Scouts
    Legion of the Damend - for fluff reasons ?

Im not really sure if anyones has some suggestions ill more than hapy to hear them.

Kind Regards

Last edited by hildan; July 7th, 2009 at 09:29.
    I'm Batman

W1 / L1 / D1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't even bother with Leigon of the Damned because they're almost as stupid as Lamentors (paint wise )
    but no in all seriousness to help you out;

If you're basing it around Shrike, get Shrike for your 1k list and just make it a 1250. (I think Shrike is around 175?) I am not up to looking up in the Codex right now.

I take it that Tac Squad is 5 man as well? Instead of taking a seperate squad of 5, take 5 more and give them at least a flamer/ml for free. Also go ahead and give your Sgt bp/cs there isn't really a benefit with SM shooting to having ONE more botler as opposed to a cs ripping through heretics.

Since you wanna do 'Hit and Run' add some scout bikes. Those cluster mines are realllly fun.

Try kitting out your guys too; especially with Teleport Homers/Beacons if you're going for the h/r tactics. Land Speeders are great as well. Deep Strike is great with Teleport Homers. Just remember that the less you have to deploy with this tactic the better your chances are of getting a good infiltrate and great deep strikes. You may even decide to take a Librarian at 1500 for Gate of Infinity + another support spell or Vortex of Doom perhaps.

A lot of the choices are yours of course. Don't let people make you take things you wouldn't have fun with. But your list is solid and it looks like you'll be moving up to a decent 1000 point list! Welcome to where the real fun starts .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

thanks for the response. Firstly the Attack squad are 5 man, and Shrikes wing is composed of Vanguard Veterans all with Lightning Claws add this to Shrike and your looking at a big point cost, but saying that doesnt mean i have to use them all together.

Im likeing the sound of scout bikes, my thoughts where to get 1 more attack bike to make up a squad of 3 of them. but will definatly look into scout bikes, havent read much into these cluster mines.

I will be getting a further 5 attack squad, although (at work and no codex around ) does a 10 man attack squad have the ability ( like a larger bike squad ) to split up within themselves? can imagine that making some fantastic flanking oppotunities

Libarians dont really 'fit' into my army unfortunatly, however i did look at further scout squads but equipping the seragnt with a teleport hommer, as scout squads have the inflitrate rule thought these could be a good alternative?

origianlly it was a toss up between land speeder & attack bikes, so again these are on the list

thanks for your help and time - The Legion of the Damned do look good if you can make themselves and paint them well enough, suppose i better get practising
    I'm Batman

W1 / L1 / D1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by hildan View Post
    Chaplain mounted on a bike

Assualt Marines
    + jet packs
    + 1 ligtning claw

Attack bikes x 2
    + Multi Melta

Scout Squad x 5
    + Camo Cloaks
    + 4 Sniper rifels
    + 1 missle launcher

Tactical Squad + Sergant
    standrad bolt guns
    My god I've never seen a list like it!

By my mental calculations, that's 530ish points, so I'd check your maths

Right, to hit 1000points, build up the tactical squad to 10men and get your free weapons. Give them a Drop Pod for turn 1 arrival.

Take another unit of 5 scouts, this time all BP/CCW, perhaps give them a Power Weapon or Fist. Don't take them as a separate unit, instead take them as the 'extra 5 scouts' to the existing squad, as this will save you 10 points, combat squad on deployment so these guys can infiltrate for a first-turn charge =)

Assault Marines could do with being pumped up to a full 10man unit, grab a flamer or two for extra kick before assaulting. These lads would then be your turn 2 or 3 charge unit.

Grab one more attack bike, that way you've got 4 bikes (inc. chappy) running interference for the Assault Marines up to the attack.

That should take you to 5points under 1k. Naturally, you can swap and change ideas around, but building on your existing list without introducing too many new units would perhaps give you a better grasp of the tactics needed for this style of play without diluting the potency of the list.

Personally, don't bother with Shrike until you're around 1500points, and even then the LC Vanguard Wing are such an investment they really should be left at home until you're into Apoc levels (at which point they really excel!)
    Legion of the Damned have their perks, but only against armies with lots of low AP weapons where the Invuln really helps.

To answer your question on Assault Marines 'splitting', yes, pretty much all infantry in the 5th edition codex can split into combat squads. I really should emphasise that combat-squadding an Assault Squad really isn't such a great idea unless you know what you're doing.

Let us know how you get on.

CR
    Last edited by CleanRabbit; July 8th, 2009 at 11:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

thanks for your response,

Im at work and dont have access to my codex / proper list, but they way its worked out is closer to 500 i think i dont normally play one of those sergants or well im not sure anyways the point is ...

The chaplain is used as an independant charicter, zooming around with turbo boosters joining squads preparing for an attack especally the assualt marines, he grants them a re roll, so with the charge, 2 CC weapons and his re roll ability its a pritty effect attack. then i guess once i add more it going to be an even more power full assualt

they hold up the location / strategic position etc and he zooms off to go and help some other squad out some where else or just the attack bikers who maybe preparing to drive back a tank, combat squad / scout squad arrive and take control of the location and the assualt marines are off again.

the attack bikers are there to take on any tanks or to cause a distraction if things arent going to plan with the assualts.

so thinking this through would it be an idea to beef up the cfombat squad with addiotnal fir power to allow them hold positions once won, or even a devestator squad?

then i guess if all assualt marines have only CC weapons they might not be able to hold a location for long.

thanks for your help by the way, i have been so set on CC weapons to get the large assualt attacks i havent thought about guns etc much before this
    I'm Batman

W1 / L1 / D1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Hey, no problems.

Dont worry about lots-o-guns, the aim of your list is hit-and-run, not take-and-hold

You want to smash into the enemy at full speed, cause as much damage, then run back to capture objectives/etc on the last turn.

Devastators seriously are not a good option in this list. A predator would be a wise investment and cheaper points cost too!

CR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers,

Once ive got hold of my list and codex and made a decision ill let yous know how it turns out.

Thanks again
    I'm Batman

W1 / L1 / D1

+ Reply to Thread