Devastator Squads in 5th, why don't they work anymore? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experimental Strategist Sun the Unwilling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Devastator Squads in 5th, why don't they work anymore?

I have been googling a lot and I couldn't really understand why people are saying that they are not effective anymore. They used to work pretty well, so what has changed?

Also people are saying that a predator does the job better. How come?

Help!!

"Hard pounding, gentlemen: but we shall see who can pound the longest."
    Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

I don't know. If anything Devastators are better. But there's a catch: They should only be armed with Missile Launchers, and the squad size needs to be 8.

4 Missile Launchers and 8 marines costs 2 points less than it did in 4th edition, and one of the models will probably have BS 5.

So the squad is better for less points! Take any other combo and your getting ripped off. So perhaps on the whole the squad is worse - but this formation is excellent, especially if your not taking any tanks.

Actually this squad really only works for armies not using tanks. If your going MECH than take the predators and maybe a vindi.

Cheers,
    Forged.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Lots of people moan about the sheer cost of the heavy weapons this unit can take, mostly by the cost of Lascannons which cost more than two additional marines for the squad

In 4th Edition, Multi-Meltas, Missile Launchers and Plasma Cannons cost 10 points more than they do in 5th, with LasCannons costing the same amount. The only increase is the cost per marine, which on a 5man squad is only an extra 15 points!

In reality, a basic Devastator unit with 4ML's or 4MM's total 150points in 5th, compared to 155 in 4th, while a basic Devastator unti wtih 4Plas Cannons totals 190points in 5th, compared to 215 in 4th - thats a saving of 25points, even though the marines cost more!

People say they are not worth it, but they cant count! They are worth it, very much so.

An Autocannon / HB Predator may ring in at 5points less than a basic Devastator squad, have protection from most small arms fire and be pretty tough to shoot at from the front, but it's a bloody big target that doesnt have the flexibility or firepower of a Devastator Squad, cannot hide behind terrain quite so easily or fire a single weapon with a BS of 5 without Chronus!

Personally, my only advice is to go out and give them a try. You'll be shocked. Preds are good and can survive a little better against weaker weapons, but the right Devastator squad can destroy ranks of enemies all that easier.

CR

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Devastators are unmanouverable and in 5th edition if you get first turn your opponent sees where they deploy and avoids them. They are also expensive leaving ML and HBs as the only options that are much use for the cost. Devastators are also not scoring units. You can use a tac squad with PC+PG for a cheaper devastator squad but it can claim one of your home objectives.

Compare 8 Devs with 4ML with 4 attack bikes with MMs. The bikes can move and fire, have the same wounds, more toughness, cost a simmilar amount, get twin linked bolters, can turbo boost and their anti tank weapons are better particularly if you get inside 12" range.

Like wise compare 8 devs with 4HBs with 4 HB attack bikes.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x3)

Devastators in 5. ed codex is better than in 4.ed codex. The "problem" is that other heavy options in 5. ed. codex is just better point-wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

i got devastators before the black templars got there own codex the said you cant use them, but my gaming group stills let me use them. ill tell you what i got a heavy bolter, plasma cannon, and 2 las cannons and they work great for me when i use them right. i end up taking preds most of the time anyway, but dont be fooled. there a small target which makes it easier to find cover and one you get a good firing range there tough to beat.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Devestators are mainly useful for turning a single Heavy Support slot into 2 firing units (thank you combat squad). I like to have 4 Plasma Cannons in 2 different combat squads, that way I've got 2 shots of 2 blast markers one of which is at BS5. Place them at opposite ends of the board and your opponent will find it harder to avoid their line of sight.

Sure if you're not using all your choices they might seem a bit crap but when you've got a Land Raider and a Whirlwind already they make an excellent and versatile choice.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    Devastators are unmanouverable and in 5th edition if you get first turn your opponent sees where they deploy and avoids them. They are also expensive leaving ML and HBs as the only options that are much use for the cost. Devastators are also not scoring units. You can use a tac squad with PC+PG for a cheaper devastator squad but it can claim one of your home objectives.

Compare 8 Devs with 4ML with 4 attack bikes with MMs. The bikes can move and fire, have the same wounds, more toughness, cost a simmilar amount, get twin linked bolters, can turbo boost and their anti tank weapons are better particularly if you get inside 12" range.

Like wise compare 8 devs with 4HBs with 4 HB attack bikes.
    This right here. Truth.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

194 (x7)

I personally like Devvies, a squad of 5 heavy weapon people is expensive but if you deploy them right, they dish out some SERIOUS killing power. My favourite setup is:

Sergeant (or Pack Leader as in the case of my Long Fangs)
    Missile Launcher
    Plasma Cannon
    Lascannon
    Multi-Melta OR heavy bolter depending on who I'm fighting

~ DiW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

As I play a predominately mech list I leave my Devastators at home. That's not to say they're not good. It's just that they are not manouverable in a pinch. When I do field them I use an 8-10 man squad with 4 x ML.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast