Static IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Static IG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Static IG

I ran a search and couldn't find anything on a static IG list. I'm thinking about starting one so I'm heading out right now to buy the codex. Could you give me some advice to make a comp/friendly static IG list? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, the best static guard list is one that contains many and many troops. I don't have the codex with me right now but I am seeing a list that would have atleast 3 veterans squads and atleast 2 full platoon squads. There should be enough points left over to put in a few tanks or hellhounds. The general plan for a static list is to vastly overwhelm your oponent with fire power as they come to you. Generate clear firing lanes and force the oponnent to go where you want them to go.
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Well, are you *sure* you want to make a static IG list and not just an infantry list, because they mean different things IMO. A static list seems unwise in the current rendition of the game due to the new standard missions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, let me rephrase that. I want to have a crap ton of infantry. A "swarm" IG army if you will.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

With a static list you'llstill need to capture objectives or deny them to your opponent.

Annihilation- Just kill the enemy, this is what static lists are made for. Make sure there are lots of infantry platoon infantry squads to combine and lower your number of KP's.

Capture and Control- No problems there, just stay in your deployment zone and shoot, artillary tanks or other indirect firing/ outflanking units are necessary becuase your opponent could just stick his objective out of LOS with a small cheap scoring unit.

Seize Ground- Just stick as many objectives as possible close yo your deployment zone and target the enemy's troops units first. You should have enough units to send groups at objectives while your opponent may not have 1 per objective; every kill counts.

Remember the key is to overwhelm your enemy in numbers, both total numbers and in number of units, however in doing this watch how many kil points are in your list; 250 guys may sound nice but 30 kill points doesn't.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

For a swarm list i'd go for atleast 2 full platoons with HWS and Assault squads aswell and then a good splattering of Vet squads mixed in with the cooler weaponry. If you want you can chuck in some conscripts but personally i'd rather spend the points on another infantry platoon.

You can then support these with some tanks and artillary and some flanking sentinels to put more pressure on your opponent.

Currently games in 5th Edition don't really like armies that sit at the back and shoot people. So think about having a platoon (or two) dedicated to capturing objectives. You can either mount platoons/vet squads in chimeras or Valks or go for things like Alrahems flanking platoon or things like outflanking Penal Legion troopers.

i'd also consider looking at peoples army lists to see how people equip their platoons and go from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

Well if you want swarms of infantry, Vet Squads are nice but they are very tempting and squishy targets without a Chimera, so you'll most likely be looking at Infantry Platoons.

Infantry Squads will form the core of your army. Use 20- or 30-man blob squads armed only with special weapons (depending on their function) to capture and control objectives. 20-man blob squads with fitting special/heavy mixtures form a good fire base while keeping low Kill Point totals (i.e. match Plasma Guns with Lascannons and GLs with Autocannons/Heavy Bolters).

Heavy Weapon Squads (HWS) become troublesome because of their tempting KP value in Annihilation, but you should have plenty of infantry to provide screening as necessary, or if you just keep them with mortars they make great pinning weapons while out of sight.

Special Weapon Squads are VERY iffy, though perhaps snipers to help Pinning your enemy down with mortars might be interesting and a good and cheap alternative if you don't like Ratlings in your themed list.

Regardless if they are competitive or not, I really like Storm Troopers. You could use them as infiltrators/pinning or scouts/move through cover. Their AP3 hotshots are great anti-MEQ in a fusillade. Kit them as needed: GLs for mobility/semi-anti-horde, flamers for anti-horde/cover, plasma for anti-heavy infantry, meltaguns for anti-heavy infantry/vehicles. Personally i think the GLs/flamers work best on them in an infantry capacity. They limited the mobility post-setup (without vehicles only scout/infiltrate for maneuverability) to make meltas all that great and they already have AP3 weapons so the risk v. reward is even less nice for plasmas than usually.

Use your CCS for extra fire-support and to issue orders to static gunlines. Use the PCS to supplement one or more of your mobile blob squads. If in range their Move! Move! Move! can help Storm Troopers get to where they are most needed too.

What are your thoughts on including Ogryns, Ratlings, and Rough Riders in your "infantry" army? More expensive, so less of a horde, but they all have unique roles they can fill as needed.
    Last edited by Darguth; July 7th, 2009 at 20:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I wouldn't recommend a static army, all your enemy has to do is GtG and you can't dislodge him. You need to get up close in 5th, that's why everyone's big on flamers and melta now. Gunlines aren't effective as they used to be.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't mind a couple Ratlings or Ogryns. Not a big fan of RR's tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

Every decent static list in 5th ed now has some component of mech to it. Be it outflanking with Creed or a couple of Valks or Chims here or there, IG need to have some component that can quickly redeploy and respond to threats.

I strongly recommend taking at least one Leman and two PCS in Chimera all equipped with 4 Flamers.
    Leman is there for the long range pie plate and to provide a nice cover save for HWS, while PCS with flamers are far more effective than Hellhounds.

By the way, if you are not fielding in excess of 20 Heavy or Special Weapons per 1000pts, you are playing Static Guard wrong. Go for min maxing and full platoon squads.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast