How do you deal with Nob Bikers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51
  1. #1
    jy2
    jy2 is offline
    Hive Fleet Pandora jy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    5,068
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    ReputationReputation
    797 (x8)

    How do you deal with Nob Bikers?

    I've played Nob bikers twice now and I must say, they are ridiculously tough. Granted, I used marines the 1st time and nids the 2nd. Next time I will be using my so-far-undefeated guards on him, but I am afraid that it could very easily be my first loss with them.

    He's got 2 squads of nob bikers, all of them equipped differently, and 2 warbosses on bikes. Just those 2 units are already 1400+ pt. He then adds 2 units of gretchins to get it to 1500pts. That's 4 scoring units he's got.

    His bikers, with their 24" turboboost, is so freakin fast its not even funny. I only have 1 turn to shoot him because by turn 2, he'll be assaulting me and when he turboboosts, he gets 3+ cover. If I go first, he can elect to keep his units in reserve so I have nothing to shoot. Then when they come in, it's 24" turboboost and next turn, 12" + 6" assault. I can't avoid him.

    For those not familiar with nob bikers, they are probably the toughest squads in all of 40k - 2 wounds apiece, T5, 5+Inv/4+Armor/3+Cover, Feel No Pain, and the ability to absorb up to 10 wounds without losing a single biker.

    I'm stumped on how I'm gonna beat him.


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

    9 Banewolves?

    Battlecannons and other Ordnance are good too. Doesn't deny the cover save, but denies the FNP and instant kills the 2W greenies. Plasma spam also still wounds on 2s and denies the FNP, or melta to heap instant death on top of that too, using CCS to make them reroll that cover save in both cases of course.

    I really can't see it being that much an issue unless your own model restriction is part of the problem. Would be easier to help formulate a plan if we knew what you're fighting with.

  4. #3
    Senior Member phr0z3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

    If you wanna go up against Fast armies, use the good ol' tactic of counter-attacking. Use a shield blob of infantry to soak up their first assault and use the opportunity to lay in some blast templates once the Ork Nob bikers are done. So, a good formation would be 2 Inf Squads blobbed in front of 2 Demolishers with possible waves standing behind to tarpit even more.


  5. #4
    Drill Sergeant Lord Borak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In the Loft
    Age
    8
    Posts
    9,915
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

    Got to agree with InqAffe on that one.
    Bane hounds are a good detterant to everything. You can do some real mess to a squad with 3 of those. None of those saves bar FNP for him. With Autohits and 2+ to would you should be alright and inflicting so many wounds you'll get through the FNP. 3 of those is only 390pts. They can have Heavy Flamers too and fire both when they move 12".

    Another Tank you've got is the Hydra. Ok he still gets FNP, but they'll ignore turbo boosting and his armour. A squadron of 3 Hydras is no points at all and you can fit them into a balenced list.

    Also spamming things like Melta and Ordinance to instant kill him. The shear amount of stuff you can throw at him will take him down eventually.

    When all your shooting is done, Charge a squad of conscripts in there with a Commi Lord nearby (NOT in the squad) to hold them up for his turn. Then you can Burn him again.


    While all thats going on, 2 Snetinels with H'flamers can go after the Grots and take out his objective takers meaning all he's got left will be the Nobz.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; July 11th, 2009 at 11:21.

  6. #5
    Son of LO Pierced53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,051
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

    Ordnance is definitely the way to go IMO. You need to be denying as many of those saves as you can. If you get some hits with S8 Ordnance he only needs to roll a couple of 1's and then the Bikers will start falling. Hitting him with Strength 8 or higher in mass will quickly have him rolling leadership tests that no Ork player wants.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    31
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    7 (x1)

    if you want something he won't expect:
    callidus assassin, 6 battle psykers, inquisitor 3 body guard (min). Is around 250pts

    Use assassins neural shredder on nob bike squad, after psykers reduce them to LD4 will instadeath them with the shredder its str8 based on leadership. its a flamer no cover,
    AP2 no FNP if you kill over half of them and they run on LD4 very likely they won't regroup warboss runs with them and
    for 25% casaulties there ld 4 anyway meaning they run rally then sit there for a turn unless you hit them again with LD 4 and some shooting.

    Are you seeing my point 700+pt unit down to 250pt unit leaving rest of your army to deal with other squad, maybe a unit can shoot them to bring under half if assassin doesn't get enough.

  8. #7
    Torn ACL FTL ==Me=='s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,404
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

    Mech and pie plates. Nob Bikers can't kill tanks reliably if they move, so you can use that to tank shock, block movement, and hem him into positions where your templates do the most damage. S8+ pie plates are your friends here.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

  9. #8
    jy2
    jy2 is offline
    Hive Fleet Pandora jy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    5,068
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    ReputationReputation
    797 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by InquisitorAffe View Post
    9 Banewolves?

    Battlecannons and other Ordnance are good too. Doesn't deny the cover save, but denies the FNP and instant kills the 2W greenies. Plasma spam also still wounds on 2s and denies the FNP, or melta to heap instant death on top of that too, using CCS to make them reroll that cover save in both cases of course.

    I really can't see it being that much an issue unless your own model restriction is part of the problem. Would be easier to help formulate a plan if we knew what you're fighting with.
    My normal army is mechanized, though I can change it:

    CCS - lascannon, MoO, chimera w/HF
    Inq - 2x retinues, tarot
    3x Vet squads - lascannon, 9x meltas, 3x chimera w/HF
    1x Penal legions
    Executioner - plasma sponsoons, LC
    Punisher - plasma sponsoons, LC, Pask
    Medusa - HF

    I got 2 hellhounds which I guess I could use as banewolves. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to proxy some rhinos, which I prefer not to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by phr0z3n View Post
    If you wanna go up against Fast armies, use the good ol' tactic of counter-attacking. Use a shield blob of infantry to soak up their first assault and use the opportunity to lay in some blast templates once the Ork Nob bikers are done. So, a good formation would be 2 Inf Squads blobbed in front of 2 Demolishers with possible waves standing behind to tarpit even more.
    A 50-men combined squad is 250+ pts and he'll probably tear through that in 2-3 player turns with the sheer number of attacks he has. And when he pulls up to within 1" of my mob, my big blasts won't be able to shoot him.

    Quote Originally Posted by lord borak View Post
    Got to agree with InqAffe on that one.
    Another Tank you've got is the Hydra. Ok he still gets FNP, but they'll ignore turbo boosting and his armour. A squadron of 3 Hydras is no points at all and you can fit them into a balenced list.

    Also spamming things like Melta and Ordinance to instant kill him. The shear amount of stuff you can throw at him will take him down eventually.

    When all your shooting is done, Charge a squad of conscripts in there with a Commi Lord nearby (NOT in the squad) to hold them up for his turn. Then you can Burn him again.

    While all thats going on, 2 Snetinels with H'flamers can go after the Grots and take out his objective takers meaning all he's got left will be the Nobz.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any Hydras, however, I would prefer to use a standard russ over 2 hydras for the Instakill.

    They're still tear through a 50-men conscript squad with Commi Lord nearby (unless he was in the squad itself).

    I'm not too concerned with his gretchins. I got a lot of ranged weapons to take care of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by spike12225 View Post
    if you want something he won't expect:
    callidus assassin, 6 battle psykers, inquisitor 3 body guard (min). Is around 250pts

    Use assassins neural shredder on nob bike squad, after psykers reduce them to LD4 will instadeath them with the shredder its str8 based on leadership. its a flamer no cover,
    AP2 no FNP if you kill over half of them and they run on LD4 very likely they won't regroup warboss runs with them and
    for 25% casaulties there ld 4 anyway meaning they run rally then sit there for a turn unless you hit them again with LD 4 and some shooting.

    Are you seeing my point 700+pt unit down to 250pt unit leaving rest of your army to deal with other squad, maybe a unit can shoot them to bring under half if assassin doesn't get enough.
    I like it! That's something that might work...even if it's a 1-trick pony, but a good trick it is. Now if only I can get the callidus in by turn 2, otherwise he'll be assaulting me.

    I see a lot of potentail with PBS's and Weaken Resolve. I will look into that.

    Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    Mech and pie plates. Nob Bikers can't kill tanks reliably if they move, so you can use that to tank shock, block movement, and hem him into positions where your templates do the most damage. S8+ pie plates are your friends here.
    Oh yes they can. Each Big Choppa is 4 S7 attacks on the charge and each Power Klaw 4 S9 on the charge. With 8-9 bikers + warboss, they'll take down the tanks with not much problem unless its a Land Raider or Monolith. Even easier if it's a squadron of tanks.
    Last edited by jy2; July 11th, 2009 at 15:24.

  10. #9
    Drill Sergeant Lord Borak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In the Loft
    Age
    8
    Posts
    9,915
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    They're still tear through a 50-men conscript squad with Commi Lord nearby (unless he was in the squad itself).

    They wont be able to tear through them in one round of combat though. 2 Yes but thats all you need. Charge him in your phase, he kills half (or more) his turn he kills the rest of you and then he's stuck around looking at your big guns again.

    The Assassin idea sounds pretty cool though

  11. #10
    jy2
    jy2 is offline
    Hive Fleet Pandora jy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    5,068
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    ReputationReputation
    797 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by lord borak View Post
    They wont be able to tear through them in one round of combat though. 2 Yes but thats all you need. Charge him in your phase, he kills half (or more) his turn he kills the rest of you and then he's stuck around looking at your big guns again.

    The Assassin idea sounds pretty cool though
    He doesn't need to. With almost 50 attacks on the charge (40 without), he'll probably kill 15-20 conscripts at a time. If the Commi Lord isn't part of the group, I'd need snake-eyes (1,1) to pass LD and not break, of which he'll have a decent chance to sweep (Furious Charge I4 vs conscripts I3). Then he'll consolidate as close to my units as possible, once again making blast weapons a risky option.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts