What race are your marines least effective against? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What race are your marines least effective against?

I would like to know what you consider to be your hardest opponent my own would be the tau.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x3)

I cant deal with mechanised armies at all, I go heavy on plasma so my only real anti-tank is my lone land speeder with multi-melta and a couple of chainfists in my termie squads. My sarges are equipped with melta-bombs just in case though.

Cheers
    Sknight567

Add me! Let me know your forum name too! =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Sknight567 View Post
    I cant deal with mechanised armies at all, I go heavy on plasma so my only real anti-tank is my lone land speeder with multi-melta and a couple of chainfists in my termie squads. My sarges are equipped with melta-bombs just in case though.

Cheers
    Sknight567
    That's an army list problem and a player problem, not a race problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

i have problems if i try to out shot the tau other wise i dont have any.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x3)

Yeah, I know its just me and my obsessiveness with plasma but I just cant bring my self to put meltas in my tactical squads. Doesnt seem right to me.

Cheers
    Sknight568

Add me! Let me know your forum name too! =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a theoretical view our worst enemy is a mass unit army (regardless of infantry or tanks).
    We can deal with both infantry and tanks. But we can't really deal with masses of enemies imo. Even the Whirlwind went down to blast (instead of large blast). Wheter it is mass infantry or mass tanks, I think SM has problems with that.

But I think in the end it depends heavily on current rules and codizes. At the moment I fear Imperial Guard:

3x Banewolf
    3x Vendetta Gunship
    3x Leman Russ Battle Tank

That's 3 fast AP3 cover-ignoring Flamer-tanks which wound on 2+, 3 fast skimmer with EACH 3(!!!) twin-linked lascannons and 3 large ordnance blasts. There is enough points to get a lot of standard infantry for your HQ and Troop choices on a 1.500pt game.
    What do you do about that?
    Most about it is because of the new codex. I think the rule that you can take 3 tanks in one selection is ok. You still have to pay for each. Lema Russ was always good and the backbone of the IG, but Banewolf is just cracked up (really ... AP3 flamer with 2+ wound ... lol?) and Vendetta are a little underpriced I think.

Maybe Tyranids are strong against SM too, but they rely heavily on assault on which SM are not that bad.

I don't think we have major problems against Tau. Since we can (officially) use drop pods those problems are gone. We also have enough deep-striking units ... so coming close is not a concern usually. We just have to change our strategy and deployment. The really good thing about SM is, that we have troops/choices against pretty everything.

My vote at the moment is IG, without the new codex I would've voted Tyranid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daisho View Post
    From a theoretical view our worst enemy is a mass unit army (regardless of infantry or tanks).
    We can deal with both infantry and tanks. But we can't really deal with masses of enemies imo. Even the Whirlwind went down to blast (instead of large blast). Wheter it is mass infantry or mass tanks, I think SM has problems with that.

But I think in the end it depends heavily on current rules and codizes. At the moment I fear Imperial Guard:

3x Banewolf
    3x Vendetta Gunship

That's 3 fast AP3 cover-ignoring Flamer-tanks which wound on 2+, 3 fast skimmer with EACH 3(!!!) twin-linked lascannons and 3 large ordnance blasts. There is enough points to get a lot of standard infantry for your HQ and Troop choices on a 1.500pt game.
    What do you do about that?
    Most about it is because of the new codex. I think the rule that you can take 3 tanks in one selection is ok. You still have to pay for each. Lema Russ was always good and the backbone of the IG, but Banewolf is just cracked up (really ... AP3 flamer with 2+ wound ... lol?) and Vendetta are a little underpriced I think.

Maybe Tyranids are strong against SM too, but they rely heavily on assault on which SM are not that bad.

I don't think we have major problems against Tau. Since we can (officially) use drop pods those problems are gone. We also have enough deep-striking units ... so coming close is not a concern usually. We just have to change our strategy and deployment. The really good thing about SM is, that we have troops/choices against pretty everything.

My vote at the moment is IG, without the new codex I would've voted Tyranid.
    Whirlwinds use large blast templates as they are an ordnance attack and it isn't stated that they use small blast templates in the codex.

I agree that IG are probably the hardest army because of the masses of tanks they can have on the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by daisho View Post
    3x Banewolf
    390 points.

3x Vendetta Gunship
    390 points.

450 points.

Grand total 1230 points for 9 vehicles. Y'ain't gonna get much else in a 1500pts list with 270pts (2 Vet squads, a CCS, a Chimera and no Meltaguns... ohnoes!), although point-for-point the IG Codex scales far better as you go higher up the points values than the Smurf one does.

That said Guard still don't bother me much. Yeah they have a ton of nasty toys to choose from, but they all cost points; I've got a ton of nasty toys too but mine are cheaper, and if they ain't cheaper they're a lot harder to kill.

In all honesty I reckon that, as Dexes go, the Smurfs are one of the better ones. Massive horde armies can sometimes be a bit too much and certain Mech Eldar/ Deldar builds are a real pain in the bum, but aside from that there ain't much the Smurf Codex doesn't do well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frank fuggers post hit the nail on the head there interms of IG. Sure thats a monster of a list but as he stated with the points thats nothing for a SM player to worry about. Landspeeders and attack bikes would rip that to pieces for loads less points and drop poding sterngaurds with melta combos would to and dreadnoughts and.................... To many counters for that list.
    I believe its horde armies and mecha eldar (is it just me or do mech eldar never seem to lose?)

Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

I think that Orks are probably the hardest for me, either there are too many boyz or I can't kill off their bikers (Nob or Boyz) in time.
    Space Marines: W15/L7/D3
    Imperial Guard: W6/L4/D0
    Daemonhunters: W4/L1/D1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast