Playing Sternguard+Librarian combo effectively - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Experimental Strategist Sun the Unwilling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Playing Sternguard+Librarian combo effectively

I have been playing a few games with his combo coupled with some drop pod locator beacons.

Feel that the concept lacks fire power.

Any tips on how to play it successfully and maybe some sample lists?

"Hard pounding, gentlemen: but we shall see who can pound the longest."
    Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found to get it to work, you need a very mobile army and ample amounts of covering fire. Land speeders, a rhino equipped tac squad and devs/Tanks work nicely. Instead of jumping around use it to redeploy and apply as much pressure on one aspect of the enemies battleline at once.

Instead of putting him with the sterngaurd put him in a tac squad in a bolter armed combat squad. Let the stern gaurd drop in (a combat character helps fend of enemy charges), second turn bring in your fast moving units (I use land speeders 2 with assault cannon multi-melta, and one with hb and Typhoon launcher), and gate over the combat squad, run the librarion to the sterngaurd. That should be suffecient force to take down all the troops on an objective , or a beefy unit. Once the target is gone your combat squad can hold the objective and the librarion and gate the sterngaurd to the next objective.

Remember that while space marines are a potent force, they are one of the best equiped units to deal with 5thed 40k, they have all the tools for objective taking missions, and are suprising fast for very cheap.

Deployment is very important, deploying poorly will lose you more games than bad rolling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Sun the Unwilling View Post
    I have been playing a few games with his combo coupled with some drop pod locator beacons.

Feel that the concept lacks fire power.

Any tips on how to play it successfully and maybe some sample lists?
    I've found that the combo is overcosted for what it does.

The sternguard puts out a hell of a lot firepower against anything other that Vec. In my opinon the problem is not the firepower you put out, but that your heavy-point unit dies like vanilla marines.

A fun unit to play, but it purpose could be done better pointwise by other units.

If you use it, i would say a drop pod/deep strike army with a lot of locator beacons is the best.

Instead of putting him with the sterngaurd put him in a tac squad in a bolter armed combat squad. Let the stern gaurd drop in (a combat character helps fend of enemy charges), second turn bring in your fast moving units (I use land speeders 2 with assault cannon multi-melta, and one with hb and Typhoon launcher), and gate over the combat squad, run the librarion to the sterngaurd. That should be suffecient force to take down all the troops on an objective , or a beefy unit. Once the target is gone your combat squad can hold the objective and the librarion and gate the sterngaurd to the next objective.
    The above seems depending on a lot of if. A tactical squad is not worth gating. What if you dont get your libby or enough units the second turn ? Your high point unit is then dead on the other side of the table. If the tactic is to gate your sterngard around put him in there in the first place. 2 characters leaves little room for the rest of the units, at least under 1750.

Last edited by Tyfus; July 12th, 2009 at 23:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyfus View Post
    I've found that the combo is overcosted for what it does.

The sternguard puts out a hell of a lot firepower against anything other that Vec. In my opinon the problem is not the firepower you put out, but that your heavy-point unit dies like vanilla marines.

A fun unit to play, but it purpose could be done better pointwise by other units.

If you use it, i would say a drop pod/deep strike army with a lot of locator beacons is the best.

The above seems depending on a lot of if. A tactical squad is not worth gating. What if you dont get your libby or enough units the second turn ? Your high point unit is then dead on the other side of the table. If the tactic is to gate your sterngard around put him in there in the first place. 2 characters leaves little room for the rest of the units, at least under 1750.

Well a Librarian, and moderatly geared Captain (Relic blade, Storm sheild, digital weapons) cost exactly 250 points, seeing as how I don't play anything less than 1750 its pretty fair... as a necron lord cost upwards of 200..., a Shas'o cost upwards of 200...

I still don't see how this could be unreliable, there is no dice rolling everything happens for certain...the drop pod comes down on turn one, without a roll for reserves, the next turn the librarian gates over in support, with no scatter... with landspeeders moving into position, with a 12" move...literally it all happens without an "ifs" involved...

Maybe my WHFB background is showing through here, but I'm not seeing anything that can be modified by bad luck short of a failed psychic test.

Like I said it s a dirty trick you can have up your sleeve you don't have to do it every game...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x3)

Ah my bad. For some odd reason i was assuming everything was in reserve.

+ Reply to Thread