New Grey Knight Fast Attack units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

New Grey Knight Fast Attack units

Due to the pitiful fast attack choices that a pure Grey Knights army has, I've decided to create 2 new GK fast attack units.

As per Goblin, I've put them in the Rules Development section here http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t-attacks.html (2 new grey knight fast attacks)

Let me know what you guys think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

I don't know - I mean the GK do have little in the way of fast attack but rolling up in a light tank or speeding around on bikes like maniacs doesn't seem to gel with the stoic and direct GK fluff.

I could see the GK throwing themselves from ships with ceramite 'wings' and hitting the ground wreathed in flames, I can see them using psychic powers to jump across the battlefield or teleporting in directed amongst the enemy forces, or even punching straight through squads with a weird kind of 'hit and run' to get to the real target beyond.

But hiding in a light tank because the daemons are too 'great and dangerous' to face?

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

The knights with wings and hit & run comes a little too close to being allied Seraphims.

If you're driving the GK bikers around like maniacs, then you're not playing them how I had intended. They're intended to be a mobile firebase support with their relentlessness and the Aegis bike (count as obscured) special rule and to go for last minute objectives-contesting. Though they can do alright in close combat, they're not intended for that. That's why I took away their True Grit. They're just too expensive for that, and just a little tougher than regular GK's.

The Grey Knights are few. The spawns of Chaos are infinite. They GK's are fearless, but they are not fools. Don't look at them as hiding. Just look at them as using another tool/weapon against the forces of Chaos...something to even the odds and level the playing fields.

I think the hellhounds are perfect weapons against chaos, and I don't know why we can't induct them into our armies. They're the perfect anti-infantry vehicle and could pop soulgrinders as well with their multi-meltas. If anything, maybe they are too good. Maybe I should restrict the DH to 0-1 GK Hellhounds, being that they are still in the experimental phase.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    I think the hellhounds are perfect weapons against chaos, and I don't know why we can't induct them into our armies
    It's just the way GK are depicted.
    Hordes of daemons? Send in a squad of grey knights
    Daemon princes? Send in a squad of grey knights
    Titan sized uber daemon? Send in (several) squads of grey knights

There are lots of other ways gk could get better fast attack :

Hold the line (scoring FAGK)
    'drop pod rules' (FAGK come in early and don't need to worry as much about hitting things)
    Heroic intervention (practically made for GK)
    The shrouded (D6 shrouding, scout, and fleet until they first attack)
    Orbital drop (hit down in flames, perhaps tau jet-style 're-entry jets' rather than jump-packs)
    Psychic Gating (essentially a GK squad pulling another to their location for an assault or support)

and so on.

I don't know what it is about gk on bikes ... just something doesn't feel right about it.

Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post

As per Goblin, ...
    LOL! Yah, sometimes I can be a bit of a jerk with my responses, especially with 'what do you think of this new codex choice that doesn't exist and never will exist?' posts. They upset me because they remind me about how we might never see a codex update and end up just as bad or worse then dark elder. But I digress....

To actually comment on this post, a long while ago, when I DID comment on these posts, I made it quite clear that a lot of the stuff people introduce just are not fluffy at all. One of those things in my opinion, that are not fluffy are grey knights on bikes. That being said though, I like the idea of grey knights riding into battle on glorious metallic robotic steads! Even if it isn't fluffy, I still love the idea, and I think what you wrote was pretty decent as a starting point!

As for the hellhound, no. Just no. lol it doesn't belong. Not one bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I'm not a big fan of Hellhounds for Grey Knights, as that would mean a Grey knight or two (don't know the crew size of the dawgs) is actually driving around in a paper armoured, volatile fueltank toting lighter. And i don't think that's the way to best utilize the Imperiums finest, being so few and all. No, when they first go mobile, the use the Land Raider, strong and powerful, with minimal risk of losing snyone, crew or passengers. Just doesn't feel right.

As for bikes...I don't know, I can't come up with any reasonable counterargument, so i'll just let it drop.

Great discussion though, and I like the comment by A.T, by coming up with alternatives, we can get a healthy discussion around the issue, which isn't trivial.

FAGK that teleports in on round 1, like deathwing termies, and perhaps count as scoring? dunno, but I'd really like for them to come in on round 1, along with GKT's. That'd be neat. I mean, if the Unforgiven can, why shouldn't the bannerbearers of teleportation be able to?

Teleporting Dreadnought as FA?

hm...nah

+ Reply to Thread